2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone Sleep in their fit? v. Camping

Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
Or try adding one of these compact hatch back add on tents. Come in all sizes from compact car to large SUV. I personally owned a Sportz large SUV tent,and it worked great. Impressed my SUV buyer,and he bought it too. You can put a porta pottie inside and no runs to the bathrooms late night. Rainy nights,bugs,no problem,and ventilation as well. Air mattress in tent as well if passengers. Folds up size of small duffle bag. Some can be used as stand alone,because the connector sock can be unzipped. Can be heated with small ceramic heater if electric nearby,or in a campground.

Dome To Go

PaFitter

Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I just got back from a trip to a music festival..maiden voyage in both road trip for the car and camping out...I am 5'9 and bought a smallish sized cot from Coleman. I put the passenger side seat all the way forward and lowered the back flat. The front brace of the cot rested on the crease. I cushioned the brace with a piece of those cheap foam things for pools. I took some fiberglass screening and stitched "socks" that drape over the contours of the drivers side front and the passenger side rear windows. The doors close easily and as suggested above, used magnetic strips to keep the critters out..I was quite comfortable and there was plenty of room left to stash the instruments.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:31 PM
nice setup...lol...
im thinking of going on a huge road trip in the fit...to california and back, 2 weeks so we'll see, might have to crash in the fit a few nights.
i luv my 2009 fit sport blue sensation!

and the person that sleeps in the string bikini, hopefully you're a chick...

Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 AM
excellent idea!!

Originally Posted by Billy Budd
..I am 5'9 and bought a smallish sized cot from Coleman. I put the passenger side seat all the way forward and lowered the back flat. The front brace of the cot rested on the crease. I cushioned the brace with a piece of those cheap foam things for pools. I took some fiberglass screening and stitched "socks" that drape over the contours of the drivers side front and the passenger side rear windows. The doors close easily and as suggested above, used magnetic strips to keep the critters out..I was quite comfortable and there was plenty of room left to stash the instruments.
That looks like the most workable idea yet and it doesn't hamper functionality much! Now to find the perfect cot!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Now that is pimp! I can actually see someone like myself getting a good nights sleep with that setup, even if you are 6'1" and 230lbs.

For added comfort, can always switch out that pad for a thermo-rest, and/or a memory foam topper.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:12 PM
sleeping in my Fit

I'm never get a good night's sleep in a tent. So I decided to try sleeping in the my 2010 Fit Sport. My first night was spent at a local park. That was my practice for sleeping at the track (motorcycle race track).

Since the race track is 4 hours from home, and you can camp at the track the night before you ride, I thought the Fit would be a better sleeping arrangement than a tent. It was also October and wet. Tents suck in that weather!

I noticed people put cots so I thought I might have to do this until I had a "V8" moment and realized the Fit seat folds down almost flat.

The first night, I slept only on the passenger side and was a bit cramped (I'm 5'8" tall). And I kept gear and such on the driver side. I also only used one air mattress, which is a slippery material and not the most comfortable just by itself.

So I decided to make some improvements. First, I decided to sleep diagonal. I stored my things in the front seats as best I could.

Also, if you sleep head towards hatchback, you get a nice little "nightstand' for your phone, keys, etc in the little cubby on the passenger side in the trunk.

I also happened to have a plastic tarp used to stand on behind the car with the hatch up to put on and take off shoes, etc.

Here are the pics:

Me leaving for the track!

Air mattress from Gander Mountain in tube, blue foam mattress. These work awesome together!

This is one way of doing it, head at front seat area. I DID NOT sleep this way, but showing you could easily.

This is how I slept (I know, it's a Star Wars pillow case! One of my son's old ones!) The second pillow is more for stuffing where need to next to me.

Layers from bottom up: air mattress inflated fully, then I let air out to level and make softer; blue foam air mattress (adds cushion and friction so you don't slide all over the place); over that I put a Mexican blanket, sort of wrapped the mattresses together (I slept on this); Gander Mtn fleece sleeping bag opened up like a blanket. With socks and a beanie hat, you will sleep like a baby with this set up.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Banned
Looks like fun.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Looks like fun.
Here's some video of how fun it is! Shot from my Ninja's cockpit!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 AM
Banned
Nice ride. I miss my old bikes.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Smile mattress and microwave

I am 5'2" so sleeping in my fit is easy for me. I have a piece of 3/4 ply wood that is my base so the unevenness doesn't bother me. Next - self inflating mattress - Thermarest - lady reg. It is a little too long but I just fold in down between the front seat and the back sleeping area. Finally, a nova or memory foam topper.

I also have a 200 amp hr lithium battery in my fit for camping so I run a 700 watt microwave. LOVE having hot coffee without even getting out of my car!

I only fold down the smaller of the two back seats for sleeping and the other back seat is folded up....so I just "walk" out in the morning rather than crawling out.

Next time I am thinking of just removing the other back seat.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:10 PM
I just got back from a trip to a music festival..maiden voyage in both road trip for the car and camping out...I am 5'9 and bought a smallish sized cot from Coleman. I put the passenger side seat all the way forward and lowered the back flat. The front brace of the cot rested on the crease. I cushioned the brace with a piece of those cheap foam things for pools. I took some fiberglass screening and stitched "socks" that drape over the contours of the drivers side front and the passenger side rear windows. The doors close easily and as suggested above, used magnetic strips to keep the critters out..I was quite comfortable and there was plenty of room left to stash the instruments.[IMG]https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/
I can't picture where the front brace (under the head) of the cot rests? Most camping cots are about 70 inches and I just went out and measured my fit... with the back seats folded flat the flat area is only about 60 inches... so I can't figure out how the cot would lie flat if it's so long. can you help me understand?
Thanks...
emily

Old 04-15-2016, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
The legs on some cots are not right at the ends.. they angle back.
A piece of masonite is also an option, it will cover the rear area smoothing out the bumps. You can use a couple pieces so they store in the back.
A nice thermorest will work fine without the cot, but if you have the cot you can slide stuff under it..

Old 04-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
Right... Front seats NOT reclined at all. Just pushed out of the way. The Previous Gen FIT had front seats that would recline and line up with the rear's (once the head rest was out) for "Refresh Mode"

For the summer, Pop the hatch and drape some Mosquito netting over it (attach with strip magnets to the outside of the car and stake it down...)

~SB
How do you make the hatch light turn off since there isn't a switch?

Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 5'8", 55 years old and I don't go to the trouble of making a bed. I find that I can recline the driver's seat and get a good night's sleep, reclined in it. I've done it many times.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
How do you make the hatch light turn off since there isn't a switch?
Pop it out and unplug it. I've done this a few times for events where I had to have the trunk open. I believe there are also threads on here where people purchased another light for a honda/acura (TSX maybe?) that was the same size/dimensions and had a switch.

~SB

Old 05-05-2020, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Keeping my design simple. Back seats removed, replace with a board supported underneath with 1/4" plywood. I use kraft paper to provide privacy around the rear windows and hatch. Front windows are opened for ventilation, but I use fabric screen to keep the bugs out. Camped twice!

Last edited by wasserball; 05-05-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
Keeping my design simple. Back seats removed, replace with a board supported underneath with 1/4" plywood. I use kraft paper to provide privacy around the rear windows and hatch. Front windows are opened for ventilation, but I use fabric screen to keep the bugs out. Camped twice!
Nice!!! How hard is it to take out the back seats?

Old 05-05-2020, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Nice!!! How hard is it to take out the back seats?
4 bolts. Back seats weight: 36.8 lb +28.5 lb =65.3 lbs

Old 05-05-2020, 03:13 PM
Cool. My problem would be where to store them...

Old 05-05-2020, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Cool. My problem would be where to store them...
Turn them into useful seats in the house?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Sleep in their fit? v. Camping