2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnecting the seat belt sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Disconnecting the seat belt sensor

It's not that I don't wear a seat belt; but I do tend to start the car first, then put my belt on during the 5 seconds it takes for the engine to settle down to a low idle. This of course means that the car chimes every time. It even chimed when I had a package on the passenger seat. On (simpler) cars in the past, I have simply read the switch at the buckle to see if it is a normally open or closed circuit, and bypassed it to send an indication that the belt was buckled. Has anyone here done this for the Fit? There are three connectors under the seat, but is any individual one for the belt only or is the air bag system integral to this (I don't want to disconnect the seal belt sensor AND the air bag deployment trigger).

Old 05-12-2010, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
in my gd, i just unplugged the blue connector and the beeping stopped. All i know is that a little icon pops up on the dash. Looks like an airbag indicator. Haven't really worried about it much, except when i brought it to the dealer. I had forgotten to plug it back in and they wouldn't do any work on the car bc they were obligated to fix that.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
If you do buckle your belt after you start-up then it shouldn't chime. I can drive away with mine and it won't chime until about a block away if I have forgotten the belt.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
If you do buckle your belt after you start-up then it shouldn't chime. I can drive away with mine and it won't chime until about a block away if I have forgotten the belt.
Me too. Never within five seconds. It's gotta be what, a minute or two? And isn't there a button to turn off the passenger air bags if they engage without cause? This would probably help in those instances.

Dan

Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Me too. Never within five seconds. It's gotta be what, a minute or two? And isn't there a button to turn off the passenger air bags if they engage without cause? This would probably help in those instances.

Dan
I don't think it's timed. I think the chime only happens when you reach a certain speed (unsure). It certainly doesn't chime right after starting.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
On mine it chimes right when I start it if the belt is not buckled, if it stays unbuckled it chimes again a minute or so later

Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phogroian
On mine it chimes right when I start it if the belt is not buckled, if it stays unbuckled it chimes again a minute or so later
Then you have a problem - take it to the dealer. The chime isn't supposed to start until after you are moving. I often stop at the end of the driveway, pick up the mail, then drive to the house without the seat belt. I never get over 5mph and it's 200' that I have to drive.

Glad to hear though that you wear your seatbelt because the last thing you want to be is a projectile and ruin someone else's fit.

~SB

Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
lol could be a software setting that can be changed. I'm still going to pull a seat belt clasp and take a meter reading. Will report back.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
I always start my car and back it out of the garage without fastening the belt, as I have to get out again to shut the garage door. I never hear the chime doing that, just the light ('09 Sport).

Either Honda has changed this, or your system is not operating correctly.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phogroian
It's not that I don't wear a seat belt; but I do tend to start the car first, then put my belt on during the 5 seconds it takes for the engine to settle down to a low idle. This of course means that the car chimes every time. It even chimed when I had a package on the passenger seat. On (simpler) cars in the past, I have simply read the switch at the buckle to see if it is a normally open or closed circuit, and bypassed it to send an indication that the belt was buckled. Has anyone here done this for the Fit? There are three connectors under the seat, but is any individual one for the belt only or is the air bag system integral to this (I don't want to disconnect the seal belt sensor AND the air bag deployment trigger).
My 2010 Sport chimes almost right after starting (within 10-15 seconds) if I don't buckle the belt. Irritating as hell, because I'm not one of those throw-it-into-gear-and-take-off-immediately-after-starting people.

Uhhh, just in case you're actually trying to find a way around the seat belt altogether? I mean, I know that's not what you're asking, but just in case :

Open the rear driver's side door, get in, grab the seat belt buckle, pull the belt around the BACK of and kinda' under the seat, and hook it as normal! Tada... no more chime, at all!

If your state has seat belt laws and you get pulled over, just hit the release latch quickly, it will spring back from around the back of the seat, and you can grab it quickly and latch it properly while pulling over! But again, I know you weren't asking that, huh? (wink, wink!)

BTW, I seriously don't recommend the above "fix." I hate seat belts, I hate belt chimes even worse, and I hate being told what to do by "Nanny State Gestapo," but they come in pretty handy if, God forbid, an accident were to happen.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
I just checked my 09 sport and here's the deal. If you turn the engine over immediately, it does not chime. If you put the key to the on position [two ticks forward] without turning the engine over, it chimes six times and stops and the light remains illuminated red. Within a minute or so [1/2 mile?], it will blink and chime until you buckle up.

It has been said here in the past that if you turn the key to the on position and hold there for a few seconds, the engine turns over better. I do this in cold weather and have noticed it does help the engine turn over much quicker. In this case, you'll hear the chime. But regardless people... it's a soft chime! Are we that intolerant?! Doesn't bother me.

Dan

Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
I figured it out. The seat belt clasp assemblies for both the driver and passenger side each have a small sending unit and loom-protected wire that leads to a connector under each seat, where a yellow/black wire connects to it. The magnetic "switch" within the buckle assembly is not a simple "normally open" or "normally closed" switch; it is in fact throwing a a code to the car's computer. There is a piece of metal in the clasp that turns the sensor "on" when the seat belt is not engaged, and the metal piece pops up and out of the way when the seat belt is bucked. When the sensor is removed entirely from the buckle assembly (but still wired to the car) it will tell the car that the seat belt is buckled. The air bags will still be operational, and the seat belt will work as it should.
Now I can hop in my car, turn on the engine without hearing that infernal chime, let it warm up and settle into a low idle for the five seconds it takes me to put on my belt, and off I go.

Last edited by phogroian; 06-05-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
1) Remove the casing to the buckle, being careful not to gouge it.

2) Here I am pointing to the sensor with the meter lead. There is a small metal cover holding it in place. The seat belt is currently unbuckled.

Name:  100_0205.jpg
Views: 2895
Size:  88.4 KB

3) Here is what the sensor looks like when the seat belt is buckled. Notice how it is now "free", with nothing in contact with it:

Name:  100_0207.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  73.3 KB

4) With the metal holder out of the way, the sensor is free as a bird:

Name:  100_0208.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  125.5 KB

5) Here is the cockpit with no sensors or sensor wires. You could leave the sensor dangling under the seat, but it could get damages by the moving seat so.... (On to step 6)

Name:  100_0209.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  115.9 KB

6) ALL STEPS FROM HERE FORWARD ARE OPTIONAL. I made it tidy and durable by attaching the sensor directly to the connector with solder and epoxy:

Name:  100_0210.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  55.1 KB

7) Remember to use the sensor from the same side of the car that you removed from the buckle assembly, and keep the polarity correct when you attach it to the plug. Reinstall the newly made sensor/socket assembly under the seat and plug it back in to the sensor receiver plug (yellow/black on the driver's side, green and black on the passenger side.

NOTE: IF YOU DO THIS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE, THE COMPUTER WILL THINK THAT THERE IS A PASSENGER IN THE CAR AND THAT THE PASSENGER'S BELT IS BUCKLED EVEN IF THERE IS NO PASSENGER. ACCORDINGLY,IF THERE IS NO PASSENGER, THE SEAT SENSOR WILL DETECT FEWER THAN 65 POUNDS AND TURN OFF THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONTAL AIR BAG, AND THE "PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF" LIGHT WILL TURN ON- UNLESS THERE ACTUALLY IS A PASSENGER OVER 65 POUNDS, IN WHICH CASE THE LIGHT WILL GO OUT (and the airbag will be operational). So you may want to do this only on the driver's side.

Last edited by phogroian; 06-05-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
There is risk of the driver/passenger getting killed from a normally deployed airbag on that one time you forget to fasten your belt.

You might consider the reminder chime nuisance, but it could save your life.

Last edited by jondotcom; 06-06-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
True, without the chime it you could forget to buckle up, but not likely if you are already in the habit of doing so. It is not for everyone, but for me it's a risk that's minor- by comparison my commute to work is via motorcycle, and my other car is a '60s jalopy with lap belts only (no belts in the back seat), a solid steel dash, straight bench (no headrests) and a single chamber master brake cylinder, but I have no qualms about taking that on the highway. I like my car to be my trusty pal, not a source of irritation. The only chime on modern cars that I like is the one that reminds you to turn off the headlights when you exit the vehicle. I don't consider this as dangerous a mod as the common practice of lowering the car, but I say put the information out there, and make your own decision.

Last edited by phogroian; 06-06-2010 at 09:36 PM.