2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifetime Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Lifetime Warranty?

I just found out that the dealer where I bought my Honda Fit, just started a new Lifetime Warranty that goes with the owner of the car. Apparently, it's free and covers the engine, transmission and the drive components, including timing belt, etc. And, it is good at any dealer if you just happen to move from the local area.

It's at Curry Honda, in Western Mass.

New Honda & Used Car Dealer in Chicopee | Curry Honda

I was wondering if this is a national Honda change or it is just local. Anyone get any offers from their dealers about this.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a warranty by the dealer, not Honda. Sounds good if the dealer actually honors it or doesn't go out of business.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Sounds like a warranty by the dealer, not Honda. Sounds good if the dealer actually honors it or doesn't go out of business.
This is one of the biggest dealers in W. Mass. and has been around for at least 30 years, maybe more, at least, since I moved here. But, he says that the warranty is honored "anywhere" at "any" Honda dealer. Sounds like it's a "Honda Care" type of warranty deal, without actually purchasing it for $2k.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
With a dealer warranty, the dealer pays for repairs, not the manufacturer.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
This sounds too good to be true. I smell a scam.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
This sounds too good to be true. I smell a scam.

The dealer is the most reputable in Mass. I'm just wondering if there are any catches that I just don't see by advertisement. It appears almost like the "Honda Care" maintenence package but without the cost. It is real hard to believe, I agree.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Sound like a good deal to me. The dealer is probably playing the odds that the average new car buyer won't keep his car much beyond the normal factory warranty. (Sort-of along the same lines as some shops offering lifetime warranties on brakes or exhaust systems.)

Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by whaap
Sound like a good deal to me. The dealer is probably playing the odds that the average new car buyer won't keep his car much beyond the normal factory warranty. (Sort-of along the same lines as some shops offering lifetime warranties on brakes or exhaust systems.)
Yeah, it's extending the powertrain warranty from the 5 years/60k that honda gives. But because it covers only the original owner, that's not going to get used all that often. In addition, the dealer is probably betting it'll generate more service money. Yeah, you don't have to go to him for service, but I bet he keeps all the records of service for you if you go to him whereas if you go somewhere else you have to save all the maintenance records.

Plus, the dealer is probably pricing in the warranty into the sales (ie selling for more than the competition). With the customer for life philosophy that he talks about, its not necessarily a bad deal. A bit higher price but going along with better service isn't a bad thing.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in Western Mass (Westfield), not that it matters, but I can pretty much guarantee you it is a dealer warranty and be sure to look into it before falling for it. They may even charge you for "warranty jobs". Ask me how I know. I fell for a similar line at Ronnie Harley Davidson in Pittsfield. The warranty is basically useless or at the very least....not exactly what they lead you to believe.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I'm in Western Mass (Westfield), not that it matters, but I can pretty much guarantee you it is a dealer warranty and be sure to look into it before falling for it. They may even charge you for "warranty jobs". Ask me how I know. I fell for a similar line at Ronnie Harley Davidson in Pittsfield. The warranty is basically useless or at the very least....not exactly what they lead you to believe.
I'd like to know more about what you're talking about. This AD says that there is no charge and can be done at any Honda dealer. How do you think that will be turned against you? What was the warranty at Harley Davidson, and why did you have to pay for warranty work? Real curious how they could legallly twist this around.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Doesn't seem like a bad deal. Although I do wonder how often you will be using it, since it all depends on how long you typically keep cars. Since it only applies to the powertrain, chances are that there really won't be much going wrong unless you keep your car for several years after the manufacturer's warranty is up. Also, most of the time it is the body and interior parts that will need repairing or replacing, rather than anything in the engine.

Also, the timing belt is a wear part and is required to be replaced at set intervals, so you still have to pay for its replacement. It seems that the warranty will only cover it if it breaks and you have replaced it according to the manufacturer's schedule. Which is unlikely to happen if you do replace it regularly.

Other things it does not seem to cover: hoses, belts, CV joint boots, bushings. Essentially, many of the plastic and rubber parts that degrade over time and need replacing. I don't know if this falls under "regular maintenance" or not, but these are the type of parts that need replacing after several years.

Again, since it is free it isn't bad. But it sounds more impressive than it actually is.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Here's how to really tell if it's "free". Get you best quote on the exact same model/options against another Honda dealer. If they don't come down to or beat the other dealer, it's definitely worked into the price.

No such thing as a free lunch.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
I'd like to know more about what you're talking about. This AD says that there is no charge and can be done at any Honda dealer. How do you think that will be turned against you? What was the warranty at Harley Davidson, and why did you have to pay for warranty work? Real curious how they could legallly twist this around.
Since you ask for specifics....I'll oblige.

I bought my motorcycle and was told that they offered a "standard" 4 year warranty as opposed to everybody else's 1 year warranty. I was over paying a bit but figured the extra 3 years was worth it and rode away happy.

A little over a year later I developed an oil leak and went back to the dealership.

I was told (note the quotes), "Mr Barr, I just want to let you know that you have 3 years left on your warranty and want to let you know that we charge $75 for every warranty job we do and we don't cover gaskets, labor, etc..."

IOW: WTF does this warranty cover? I ended up going elsewhere where they fixed the bike for free (out of warranty) and never returned to where I bought my bike.

The bottom line is, it is an IN HOUSE warranty where they can charge you for whatever they want and HONDA can't say anything about it as the warranty is "offered" by the dealership and not the manufacturer.

Trust me. Don't walk but RUN!!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Well it's pretty clear.

It even says "Home of The Lifetime Warranty".

It's a dealership based warranty.

If Honda started offering "Lifetime Warranties" you wouldn't have to ask. It would be big news and in every Honda Commercial you watched.

It's obviously a dealer warranty. Exactly how good it would translate into being? Buy one from them and let US know.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I usually head to the better business bureau website to look up companies before I make any large purchases.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
I got the same lifetime warranty through Goodson Honda here in Houston - one of the reasons I traded in my repaired/rebuilt '07 Fit (they started offering it Jan '08, 3 days after my mom bought her CRV from them).

Here's the link to their FAQ: Goodson Honda North in Houston, TX, New, Used Cars - Lifetime Warranty on All New and Select Used Cars

Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
I checked into it further and it turns out that it is a maintenence warranty with Great American Insurance company, which is a A+ company that covers car maintenece warranties of all cars. The company has been around for over 100 years and is rated one of the highest in the country.

Now, the question is, what is the "real" add-on price to the dealers cost. You can't get something for nothing.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Olyar15
Also, the timing belt is a wear part and is required to be replaced at set intervals, so you still have to pay for its replacement.
USDM Fits (at least first generation) don't have timing belts.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by einstein77
I checked into it further and it turns out that it is a maintenence warranty with Great American Insurance company, which is a A+ company that covers car maintenece warranties of all cars. The company has been around for over 100 years and is rated one of the highest in the country.

Now, the question is, what is the "real" add-on price to the dealers cost. You can't get something for nothing.
I would guess that this warranty isn't costing them that much. With proper maintenance, the drivetrain system should be good more or less forever. Without proper maintenance, the warranty is void. If you plan on keeping the car for 10 years and the quoted car price is competitive, then its probably worth it. Lets say that it costs $5000 to put a whole new engine in and 10% of cars need that. Then the warranty should cost 500 but because the company can make money on that in the intervening time, it's more like 250-300.

If you keep cars for less than 6 years, or the price difference is more than a few hundred, you'll be better off buying somewhere else. Heck, you could even ask them to sell you a drivetrain extended warranty if you buy the car from another dealer.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Im sure the warranty is bound to servicing the vehicle the at that dealership. You end up paying for it in the long run.
to me warranty is a waste of money, i would rather save $5000 on the price tag, but thats me.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Warranty?