2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fit help please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Fit help please?

I have a 09' Fit base model.. for about a week.. there has been this almost like a "dove" flutter/whistle sound coming from my front passenger area.. (vent area) It only does it when the A.C is on.. more frequently on fan levels 2 or higher. It doesn't matter if I'm driving or not... I haven't noticed any "visible signs/problems" just that annoying whistle. It last only a couple of seconds each and every time... and it does it intermittently. Anybody have any ideas of what it could be?

Last edited by cady4evr; 07-31-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Just bumping

Old 08-01-2010, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like refrigerant circulating through the coils. Does it make the sound when the A/C is switched off but the fan is running?

If not, then it's refrigerant. The A/C compressor cycles on and off to control the coolness of the air. As it starts each time extra refrigerant flows. It then levels off and then switches off after a few minutes/seconds depending on how warm the air is. Then it repeats. Open the hood and watch and listen outside for a few minutes. You'll hear clicks as the compressor engages and disengages. Cooling fans on the radiator/condenser will start and stop.

It's normal (although I don't hear this on my 09, except I've got 52 year old ears). If the A/C works ok in all other respects I wouldn't worry about it.

If it bothers you, drive into a Honda service bay and ask them to listen. Even if it's not under warranty they shouldn't charge to give their opinion about a noise.

More expensive cars run their compressors all the time and control the flow of refrigerant other ways, but this is common on most cars. You're more sensitive because it's new and it's yours.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
No it only happens when the A/c is running. On fan level 1, it doesn't happen much, but when I raises the level to 2,or higher it's becomes more frequent and louder. Most of the time it happens when I'm driving, although it has happened a few times in the "park" position. The sounds it's like a bird call and it's high pitched fluttering noise and it sounds like it is coming from the passenger air vent and glove compartment area. It last for only a couple seconds, but enough to make me on edge, I never heard it before the last week.

I know them clicks that you are talking about, I know that normal the continuous turning off and on the fan. It's not that, it sounds like someone is using a bird whistle in my car.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by cady4evr
No it only happens when the A/c is running. On fan level 1, it doesn't happen much, but when I raises the level to 2,or higher it's becomes more frequent and louder. Most of the time it happens when I'm driving, although it has happened a few times in the "park" position. The sounds it's like a bird call and it's high pitched fluttering noise and it sounds like it is coming from the passenger air vent and glove compartment area. It last for only a couple seconds, but enough to make me on edge, I never heard it before the last week.

I know them clicks that you are talking about, I know that normal the continuous turning off and on the fan. It's not that, it sounds like someone is using a bird whistle in my car.
Best thing I can tell you is check your cabin filter (behind the glove box). Leaves sometimes gather and maybe when you are running your ac they are fluttering around over/in there. I just changed my tsx filter this weekend and noticed tons of leaves and random junk in my filter. Also check the tubing going into and out of around the filter..maybe a big leaf (or bird ) is stuck in there.

Here is how to get to it.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-location.html

Last edited by Committobefit08; 08-02-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cady4evr

It's the refrigerant (only occurs when A/C is on, not just the fan blowing). It makes the noise when the compressor starts. When the car is stopped the A/C is less efficient so the compressor runs almost constantly. This is why you don't hear it often at that time. At speed the compressor stops and starts frequently, the sound occurs when it starts.

It sounds like a noisy expansion valve. Some hissing is normal, but louder whistling isn't. Have Honda look at it. If it's under warranty it won't cost you anything to fix (except time and trouble to take it in).