2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is all over the road. I actually thought something was wrong with it but I read that the toe is .0 degrees so that probably is a factor. Most likely towing it in a tad or wider tires would help.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
When I was driving my '07 MT Sport, I was amazed at how straight it would track on stock wheels/tires. I would see how far I could go without touching the steering wheel - usually ran out of road before I needed to adjust steering.

My '09 MT Sport, 100% stock, isn't bad, but I do have to make minor adjustments over the same stretches of road that used to be hands-free. I'll leave it to ya'll to debate the how's and whyfors, just figured I'd throw out my experiences.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
my fit was "hella" wandering up in norcal -_-

Old 08-21-2010, 09:35 AM
I was hoping someone would address this. My 2010 sport is a hand full at 60+ mph. My hands get tired from gripping the wheel, trying to keep it in my lane. Took it to the dealer and as is normal, they said they never heard of it and drove it and said they didn't see a problem. I have a 24 year old Honda CRX that's on it's last leg, but it tracks better than this. Never in my 30 years of driving, have I experienced this on any car. I sure hope more people come forward with this complaint and Honda comes up with a cure.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dan Gregory
I was hoping someone would address this. My 2010 sport is a hand full at 60+ mph. My hands get tired from gripping the wheel, trying to keep it in my lane. Took it to the dealer and as is normal, they said they never heard of it and drove it and said they didn't see a problem. I have a 24 year old Honda CRX that's on it's last leg, but it tracks better than this. Never in my 30 years of driving, have I experienced this on any car. I sure hope more people come forward with this complaint and Honda comes up with a cure.
I feel the same way with 2010 Sport. I was talking to my folks about it, my mentioned that her 2004 and 2006 Santa Fe were the same way, with the factory tires. It doesn't do the same now, with other tires. My Del Sol did it with the Westlake tires that the dealer had put on (i bought it at a used lot), and changed to Guardsman's (No-name, but a good tire), and it never did it. I'll probably let my tires wear down and go with something other than Dunlop brand tires and see what happens. My Fit only really seems to wander at about 75 and up, on the freeway. And ONLY in the middle lane, where the cracks are and the road is worn down. If I'm on the access road, or a smooth pavement, it's fine.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to Fitfreak, I know what your talking about. I drive a truck and my left hand is strong because my right hand is always changing gears. Then I got a ultra shift auto trans and my right hand is very sore now because not used to being on wheel. You can get hand grip springs to built up strength in your fingers and learn to relax more when driving. It should go away soon. Also look into driving gloves so you dont have to grip so hard. As far as the car try riding in a grove on either side. The car is a little narrow so if ride the middle the car wants to go either way and your fighting it to stay in your lane. It also gets better because the as car tires wears in the pulling is not that bad.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 08-21-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Technique and getting used to the wheelbase. I went crazy when I first drove my daughters Yaris. I was literally all over the road. My FIT drove me nuts at first, but I soon adapted to it. My other car was a Cadillac Deville....night and day to the Fit.

The Fit takes some getting used to, both in handling and shifting - both MT and AT from what I see in the forum. Silver makes a good point in relaxing the grip. No need to hang on, it really isn't going to go too far.

Ya'll will get Fitasized and get it.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 PM
you have a lot more strength in the pinky and ring finger than the index and middle fingers. the first set's musculature runs along your arm, while the latter wears out your shoulder.

if you get tired, grip the wheel with more of the pinky and finger

Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by belfastcowboy
you have a lot more strength in the pinky and ring finger than the index and middle fingers. the first set's musculature runs along your arm, while the latter wears out your shoulder.

if you get tired, grip the wheel with more of the pinky and finger
I like that! thumb hangs on.

Welcome belfastcowboy. Interested to know what you've driven. And what you're driving.

K_C_

Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
I was hoping someone would address this. My 2010 sport is a hand full at 60+ mph. My hands get tired from gripping the wheel, trying to keep it in my lane.
That may be part of your problem; the car will probably track better if you loosen your grip on the steering wheel.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
To those that think it wanders, try putting the wheel farther forward (or your seat farther back) and holding it from the 8 and 4 o'clock positions with your arms slightly bent and relaxed. It just seems more natural in this car, at least for highway cruising. (When I'm in the twisties I go back to 10 and 2, but I'm paying strict attention.)

I had to change my driving stance from what I was used to in other cars. 36 years of sloppy driving took a bit to overcome. Without variable ratio and with a short wheelbase the Fit is unforgiving of sloppiness but it rewards with more precise handling and response.

I don't think there's a design issue with the car, it's just designed differently than your used to.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
I love all the engineering theories here.

After 30,000 highway miles in all kinds of weather, I find that the car gets blown around easily, is sensitive to the slightest steering inputs, and goes where the ruts are in the roads (around here, heavy trucks and farm implements as well as Amish buggies rut the roads. And then there is I-80).

I have no engineering theories to explain my observations. I just write it off to "cheap little car" and head on down the road.

Cheers.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. When I suggested that my hands got tired from gripping the wheel, I was comparing it to driving my other vehicals. (86 CRX and 99 Chevy P/U). With these, I have driven all over the country, from Michigan to Utah, Texas, Florida etc., and I'm used to being able to drive with just one finger resting on the wheel (with no adverse conditions). With the Fit I have not driven more than an hour and a half at a time and then in mixed city/highway driving, but I have studied the wandering, or as I call it "darting" problem carefully. In my case, I've noticed it when the road is clean and flat with no wind or other vehicals around. What makes the problem worse is the "heavy" or "stiff" steering wheel at highway speeds. When the car starts to go for the line, I cannot just correct it with one finger or even a light touch on the wheel (as I"m more used to). I'm going to be patient and hope that it breaks in (only 1200 miles so far), and the problem goes away. If not, My experience suggests having the front end re-aligned with the tow-in increasedby a degree or two.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:29 AM
I got a cpiller bar and it got rid of 50% of the prob then I lowered and another 25% so I got ride of about 75% of it it took me a while to get used to when it was stock

Old 08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I have no clue why what I did works I'm stupid but if even my gf noticed it musta done something lol

Old 08-22-2010, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
I just realized that no one pointed out that the Fit has electronic steering not power steering. I guess power steering is more forgiving on the road.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I just realized that no one pointed out that the Fit has electronic steering not power steering. I guess power steering is more forgiving on the road.
"Electronic steering" is still 'power steering'. Newer systems being electronically powered, and the older systems being hydraulic powered (fluid, driven by a pump which the engine powers).

It probably has a lot to do with how people perceive the steering inputs, as a lot of the recent posts in here have been about that, but the type and power of the steering rack would really have little to do with the car being blown around at higher speeds.

But a hydraulic powered rack, and a electronically powered rack with the same ratios would perform the same. You can disable the power to a powered rack, and you'll notice the 'feeling' is different, but its just deadened up the feel, and requires the driver to exert more effort to turn the wheel. But the car will still drive down the road the same way. Ie: its not going to start wandering at higher speeds because there's no power to the rack, its just going to take more effort from the driver to turn the wheel.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Go drive a corolla, or a dodge wan. then complain about wondering. Fit has zero wonder unless there is wind. Other cars your babysitting the wheel

Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 PM
ecl
5 Year Member
i notice this slightly during windy conditions, otherwise I've never even noticed any sort of wandering at all.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:55 PM
The only significant differences b/w major brand tires are tread compound and performance ratings. Other than alignment issues, somebody please explain to me why swapping tires will keep your car from wandering on the road?

I assume by "wandering" we are NOT talking about sudden loss of traction...because if you guys are breaking traction driving in a straight line down the highway at 60 mph then something is bad wrong with your car.

Quick Reply: Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?