2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for everyone's input...but saying your GD is stable doesn't exactly help people with GE's that have a tracking problem (considering this is a GE thread). Different rear axle design from my understanding.

OOOORRRR, can you swap a GD rear axle with a GE so you can throw on some adjustment shims?? I'm gonna research...

Old 10-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I should mention:

I've driven from Cali to Florida, coast to coast, in both a Toyota Echo and a Honda Element.

Believe it or not, the Element was the twitchier one!!! That car was all over the road, as it had a short wheelbase and large wind profile, and was quite topheavy (lots of extra weight in the reinforcement in the roof and doors to compensate for the suicide doors. .

Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I have a base I put on a c pillar bar and it magically went away even my gf said something about it anything over 65 and it felt like the back end was moving around alot

Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
My 2008 back tires wore out quickly even though I rotated them. The dealer said it because the back end is so light that it skims the highway. I did notice it wonder a little but that because 1 set of tire were in the road grove and the other was riding the crown. The car is a little to narrow.
Your dealer is completely full of BS. Tires don't "skim the highway" and wear out. Rear tires normally wear much more slowly than fronts because they don't have to steer, accelerate or do much braking. If your rear tires wore out first, they are most likely mis-aligned and dragging sideways a bit. Significant under-inflation can accelerate wear as the heat generated by the underinflation will break down rubber. I have 20K on my 2009 Fit Sport and rotated the tires once at 10K (first oil change). Normal wear all around, so i don't think this is a generic Fit problem. I would guess something is wrong with your alignment. Tell the dealer you want them to check the rear alignment under warranty.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 AM
^^ditto that^^

Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit is glued to the ground in comparison to my old Yaris, now that car wanders.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crash001
I have a base I put on a c pillar bar and it magically went away even my gf said something about it anything over 65 and it felt like the back end was moving around alot
I have heard good things about the C pillar bar... I noticed that there was an amount of body roll in the rear that only occurred when I would make a quick lane change and it scared the heck out of me... 7" X 15" wheels with 41mm offset made a tremendous difference and stiffer rear (air) shocks made an additional improvement unless the air pressure was above 12 PSI without a load... I was feeling real good about it until I drove a Fit set up for road racing that looked like it had the ultimate high dollar jungle gym in place of everything that occupied the area behind the front seats.... I have been socking away money to be able to stiffen up my car since then.... My car presently has a bit of negative camber that requires me to rotate my omni directional grand touring tires frequently to compensate for the wear on the inner tread of the front tires.. The handing feels very good but after encountering an epic storm and not being able to drive over 30 MPH and maintain control I came to the realization that I need to have some alignment work done.. ... From what I have read in the literature that was out about the GE at the time it was released here, it has a considerably stiffer passenger compartment and there is less twisting and flex that affects the the handling as much as the GD models and the rear anti-sway bar on the GE Sport would appear to beneficial in cancelling out rear body roll as well.... I apologize for getting carried away with a long post that deviates to an extent from being on topic... I guess I made my coffee way too strong this morning... .

Old 10-24-2010, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by belfastcowboy
got the sport model with 16" wheels. i find at freeway speeds the car tends to wander left and right easily (no crosswind). im thinking its either the narrowness of the tires (185? 195?) or the short trail/low caster.

anyone with wider aftermarket front tires comment on the straight line stability?

Weve had a fewstock fits with road wabnderbut they were cured by alignbment and tire pressures.
We've several Fits with after market tires, typically 205to 215 and theywill follow road undulations in the surface due to te large tire tread section width.And really with race tires. The only easy thing to do is increase toe-in to 1/8 to 1/4" total.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Maybe I'm nottotally clear on what you guys mean by "wandering.". If I roll along at freeway speeds, the Fit requires very few corrections. I more or less hold te wheel still, with a barely visible adjustment every 5-10 secs. I've driven cars in the past that had a dead spot on center, and needed much more frequent adjustments to keep tracking. The fit though, requires very little of it: it takes only a very slight adjustment, hardly enough to see the wheel move, to keep it straight.

I couldn't ride with my ex-wife-- she made constant, little twitches left and right, and would have your head bobbing left and right!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM
If it hasn't already been suggested, try fooling around with the air pressure by running it higher or lower. It might be a low cost fix.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I have tried 38, 33, and 27lbs but it is just worse the higher I go.
Shouldn't Honda fix the wander and pulling to the right when accelerating and to the left when deaccelerating and"Memory Stear" ( not returning to the center when released after a turn)?
Honda said they were going to increase the toe in but I cant see a difference in the before and current charts.
See attached chart.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
How do i get the scanded .pdf chart to show up?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 PM
@Occam - In my case, the wandering is very small, but need constant corrections. Much more than any other car I have owned (mainly small hondas).

Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raylonrr
How do i get the scanded .pdf chart to show up?
If it's an image, you need to upload it to a place like imageshack. If it's a PDF, I'd suggest putting it on Scribd.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jbdaddy
Your dealer is completely full of BS. Tires don't "skim the highway" and wear out. Rear tires normally wear much more slowly than fronts because they don't have to steer, accelerate or do much braking. If your rear tires wore out first, they are most likely mis-aligned and dragging sideways a bit. Significant under-inflation can accelerate wear as the heat generated by the underinflation will break down rubber. I have 20K on my 2009 Fit Sport and rotated the tires once at 10K (first oil change). Normal wear all around, so i don't think this is a generic Fit problem. I would guess something is wrong with your alignment. Tell the dealer you want them to check the rear alignment under warranty.
I agree but that was a second opinion from a different dealer, The tires did skim a little but I think it wasn't the cause of my problem. I dont have that car so its not my problem anymore, The 2009 is a better car than the first Gen Fits so that is not a problem anymore. I had 40000 miles on those tires with lots of tread left and the corners were feathered. I originally had a front end problem that they fixed but damage to the tires already happened and the symptoms were the result of the vibration of the feathered and cupped tires.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 PM
This is why I don't find the Fit to wander at highway speeds:

Driving my Fit down the 1 Freeway

Note that I am making only tiny corrections, rolling at approx 75 mph. There is almost no dead-area in the middle of the steering. I've driven cars that used old recirculating ball steering, and they did tend to wander somewhat - small corrections would not suffice, you had to turn the wheel what felt like several degrees side to side to track smoothly (My Wrangler was particularly bad in the respect).

The Fit just rolls along easily with one hand on the wheel, keeping in whatever line I've set it on.

A sudden windgust from the side will require some correction, three of my last four vehicles were compact SUVs (and the fourth was a compact pickup), I'm used to that.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam

Driving my Fit down the 1 Freeway

Note that I am making only tiny corrections, rolling at approx 75 mph. There is almost no dead-area in the middle of the steering. I've driven cars that used old recirculating ball steering, and they did tend to wander somewhat - small corrections would not suffice, you had to turn the wheel what felt like several degrees side to side to track smoothly (My Wrangler was particularly bad in the respect).

The Fit just rolls along easily with one hand on the wheel, keeping in whatever line I've set it on.

A sudden windgust from the side will require some correction, three of my last four vehicles were compact SUVs (and the fourth was a compact pickup), I'm used to that.

I agree. Going to our video on youtube "Fit leading" even at speeds of 100 mph the Fit tracks straight on an imperfect but not really bad roadway. Any wander must be tires or alignment or a really bad road surface that sidetracks tires substantially.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
That's a heavily wooded area. As opposed to an open flat windy plain there's really no comparison.

Nowadays you see trees circling the perimeters a lot of farmlands, farmers plant them to serve as a windbreak, and even a single row of single-file trees serves to dampen the wind blowing on their fields significantly.

So your test driving through a wooded area like that isn't really the best example, compared to what a lot of other Fit owners will be experiencing where they drive. Would be no comparison to a flat highway in an open plain in Kansas or Oklahoma for example. Try the test on I5 North of LA.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:11 PM

That's the section of 1 near my apartment - there is a constant perpendicular wind blowing in from the ocean, with some sections with trees, gaps in the dunes, etc. I definitely notice the sidewinds there on my motorcycle (and at times can hear the sand pelting the side of my car or feel it on the side of my neck depending on vehicle). The Fit just doesn't seem that affected by them.

Ive driven sections of I-5 near Fresno, Merced, Modesto, etc - definitely wide-open farmland, and not had any trouble. It may be that my baseline for "getting blown around quite a bit" is different from years of driving taller vehicles. The Fit doesn't seem as affected.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Well, at an indicated 70 mph with side winds of 5-8 knts I have absolutely no wander at all. Stable as a a rock, about the same as my wifes E class.
I would guess that the OP has either tire or alignment problems as mentioned here several times.

Quick Reply: Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?