2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Blind spot in the FRONT driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Blind spot in the FRONT driver's side

I have a 2010 Fit, MT that I bought several months ago. It's been a great car in so many ways, but I noticed that there is a driver's side front blind spot due to the A-frame. I initially thought that the Fit had great all-round visibility. Within a week, I realized that there is a significant blind spot diagonally forward to the left hand side of the vehicle. It became noticeable when a pedestrian is crossing the street from the left hand side, and also on left turns, when I simply must keep shifting the position of my head to make sure there is nothing in the way of my turn.

Has anyone had the same experience, and have you figured out a solution? I'm on the shorter side (5-4 or 160cm), and I tend to lean back in the seat when driving.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM
I've found that every modern car can hide something behind the A pillar. There's no way to stop it. The pillar has to support the car for crash tests and in a lot of cars houses some of the airbag. The best solution is to move your head.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
What you'll find is that the steeper the windshield is, the easier it is to see but with an angled windshield like the Fit you'll hit a blind spot more and more.

I see the same issues with the fit and making left turns. I have to look around the A pillar when taking some turns... you get used to it.

~SB

Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by shujis
I simply must keep shifting the position of my head to make sure there is nothing in the way of my turn.
lol i do the exact same thing. it happened too many times where i started making my turn to go left and then i finally saw the pedestrian crossing. gotta be a bit more careful

Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Cool

Yeah, I had two incidents of near misses.

After about 4 months of owning the vehicle, I almost hit a pedestrian as I was making a left turn. It was at night and thankfully I stopped in time when my headlights illuminated her to my attention. Scared the pretty lady too.

The 2nd time was on the 9th month of ownership, when I was driving straight and a woman decided to slowly cross the street while on her phone. I didn't see her because she was directly behind the A-pillar the whole time but I was able to stop when I got close.

Now whenever I make a left turn, I lean left and look before I turn.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
You GE guys have it better than us GD owners. At least your A-pillars have been redesigned thinner to address that blind spot somewhat.

On the GD it's slightly worse. Motorbikes can hide behind my left A-pillar. There's a definite need to look around the A-pillar before committing to some left turns.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Ahh,doesn't anybodys eyes move in their sockets anymore,or able to turn their heads? Geesh, I thought the Fit has above average visability compared to some of the trucks,lifttrucks I drive,planes I fly,and company/rental cars I drive. I guess it you drive like a low rider in lounge seat postion it may be a problem,but I sit upright to drive. I want or need to see where I am going. Maybe I am more used to dealing with different visabilities of vehicles I can operate.

PaFitter

Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Visibility

I've had that problem too, almost clipped a pedestrian who was crossing left to right in front of me.

I find the stock window visors don't help either, they seem to make the blind spot bigger!

At least we've got the wee window so we can spot the feet before we roll over them!!

Old 07-02-2016, 04:44 PM
I have a Honda Fit 2015 and I have found that there is a dangerous driver side front blind spot. I have never driven a car with such a huge blind spot. Whenever I go around a curve, be it big or little, it hides whatever is coming towards me, whether it be a pedestrian crossing the street or a car. Imagine my surprise when going around a curve I saw nothing until a large truck appeared in my driver side window. That is how huge this blind spot is. I shouldn't have to move my head that much side by side each time I round a corner. I have driven many vehicles and have never had this problem before. This is extremely dangerous and needs to be fixed.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by wawaperson
I have a Honda Fit 2015 and I have found that there is a dangerous driver side front blind spot. I have never driven a car with such a huge blind spot. Whenever I go around a curve, be it big or little, it hides whatever is coming towards me, whether it be a pedestrian crossing the street or a car. Imagine my surprise when going around a curve I saw nothing until a large truck appeared in my driver side window. That is how huge this blind spot is. I shouldn't have to move my head that much side by side each time I round a corner. I have driven many vehicles and have never had this problem before. This is extremely dangerous and needs to be fixed.

You need to become a head mover and if not, sell the car.

Your two and ONLY options. We all have gotten use to it and every once and a while get burned by it. Hope no one is in our way when that happens.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
I have a Honda Fit 2015 and I have found that there is a dangerous driver side front blind spot.
There's a thread on this in the 3rd gen forum (your 2015 is a GK fit, 3rd generation). I myself didn't see it until a week or so after I bought the car. I almost got burned twice in two days, first missing a car at a 4-way stop (on the right) and then turning left into a pedestrian crossing (on the left, obviously). The general sentiment is while this can be a pain, if you take a second to move your head around (it's been dubbed the bob and weave, I guess) that minimizes the problem. I bought my car a year ago and since I adopted the bob and weave it hasn't been a problem. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
and bonus points if they are on a bicycle.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I have a 2010 Fit, MT that I bought several months ago. It's been a great car in so many ways, but I noticed that there is a driver's side front blind spot due to the A-frame. I initially thought that the Fit had great all-round visibility. Within a week, I realized that there is a significant blind spot diagonally forward to the left hand side of the vehicle. It became noticeable when a pedestrian is crossing the street from the left hand side, and also on left turns, when I simply must keep shifting the position of my head to make sure there is nothing in the way of my turn.

Has anyone had the same experience, and have you figured out a solution? I'm on the shorter side (5-4 or 160cm), and I tend to lean back in the seat when driving.
this is fairly normal... meaning, datz how its been for me.. started with the GD which was sort of bad, GE worse, GK even worse. imho...
especially in tight parking structures where people are walking to get to the stairs or elevator, i need to keep the window down and use my eyes and ears. lol

Old 07-04-2016, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of modern car ownership. Unfortunately, the modern crash regulations force the manufacturers to beef up the pillars, including the A-pillar. That means larger blind spots. The good news is that Honda has developed a way to make the A-pillar narrower, and for just $200k or so, you can buy the new NSX with the slim A-pillars. Or wait several more years for that technology to hopefully trickle down to the rest of their cars.

Or just learn to swivel your head to check behind the blind spot.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Actually a third option is to contact the company and let them know that this is a safety hazard.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
Actually a third option is to contact the company and let them know that this is a safety hazard.
That won't help a bit. Do you really think Honda doesn't know about it?

Old 07-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Olyar15
That won't help a bit. Do you really think Honda doesn't know about it?
Do they know? Why hasn't there been any mods? I have 2013 and had several near misses in the first 6 months, all on the driver's side involving pedestrians or stationary objects like short stanchions.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:31 PM
Thumbs up

I'm relatively short too, and I like to recline the seat when I drive. My solution is the same as yours, I just move my head around a lot and turn left slowly.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Can confirm: My Fit has a pretty bad A-pillar blindspot. It's especially noticeable, because the rest of the car has great visibility. Go sit in a Scion TC and see how badly visibility can be.

Pillars are fat so the car won't crush when it flips on its roof. It's a problem with pretty much any car now. But one I can live with.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nnn i don't know about any new car. i don't have that issue on mines. only the Fits.

Quick Reply: Blind spot in the FRONT driver's side