2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lid panel removal ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Dash lid panel removal ??

Just bought a used 09' Tidewater Blue sport with only 4k miles. Everything is perfect except a BIG scratch on the top of the dash (the large panel section connected to the back half of the center air vent).

A replacement part is on the way, but was curious how to get this thing apart. Does the stereo come out to reveal the clips holding it in ?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
What is the part actually called?

Now I could be totally wrong here but, from what I can see it is referred to as DASHBOARD/STEERING HANGER BEAM removal.

It is a huge job. Just about everything has to be taken out as it is more or less the main section that everything is attached to.

But before you panic. Let's see a pic or two of the new part when you get it.

It might be best to try covering it with something.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:30 PM
No, the steering hanger beam is separate from the dash panel. I removed the dash from my 7th gen civic last night. In this pic you can see the steering hanger beam.
Name:  5348be75.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  145.2 KB

This is a TEDIOUS process. It took me around 3 hours...and required both my iPhone and iPad to reference 3 separate DIYs.

Off the top of my head, you're gonna have to remove:
1. passenger airbag
2. driver airbag
3. steering wheel
4. radio/nav
5. power mirror/fog light controls
6. cluster/speedometer gauges
7. possibly the center console...if you have to remove the center console then you're gonna need to find a DIY on shifter install.
8. interior trim - pillar and likely footwell plastic trim

If you do swap the dash, make sure to take lots of pictures and make a DIY. There will be several "reversed" screws in the area of the radio. These are a bitch!! You will need a stubby phillips head or a short socket wrench with screw driver bits. Go slow, tag all wires to make it easier when you reinstall the all the steering column controls. Lastly, it helps to unscrew the steering column...this will allow you clearance to slip the dash cover over the blinkers/wiper controls.

My car is almost completely stripped...and that helped tremendously.
Name:  Carprimered1.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  121.7 KB

Last edited by blackndecker; 09-17-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Whatever, the OP is in for a lot of fun. It looks like some bolts on the door pillar have to be removed as well. I would spend time trying to recover the dash while it is in place before going to all that work.

I want to see pics of the scratch on the dash.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh forgot to mention...

Make sure you disconnect the battery (you don't want to take an airbag to the face) and have the tires facing straight before you start. Since your unplugging the battery, you're gonna need your radio code (this should be in your owner's manual...or you can call the Honda dealer for it).

This is one hell of a 1st mod you've lined up for yourself!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to the community BTW