2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

battery died

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
battery died

I was washing my car for about 4-5 hours with the stereo on and the dome light on by accident. Battery dead. Had to get a jump from neighbors. Has this happened to you? Should I get the battery and alternator looked at?

Anyone upgrade the alternator yet? Anyone with aftermarket battery experience this too?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hobbes87
I was washing my car for about 4-5 hours with the stereo on and the dome light on by accident. Battery dead. Had to get a jump from neighbors. Has this happened to you? Should I get the battery and alternator looked at?

Anyone upgrade the alternator yet? Anyone with aftermarket battery experience this too?

The alternator is pretty high capacity, but the size of the battery limits storage. There are few replacement options, but keep in mind if the battery does fail to hold a charge, that it's guaranteed like the rest of the car for 3years/36K with no pro-ration (100% replacement) by Honda.

Get it jumped and drive it around for 15 minutes; you'll be right as rain.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member

Have dealer check battery. Lots of the oem yuasa's have failed and replaced under warranty. Honda is one of few suppliers so dealers are primary source for batteries.
And you need to be sure battery plates filkled to line.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
ran errands so i drove around for a while. I'll make sure to get he battery checked out.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
If the battery has the 'sight' window to check the levels then it could be one of the bad ones. Mine was one of them, just randomly died one night. Local dealer was aware of the battery bulletin and replaced no questions asked.

Originally Posted by einstein77
What they fail to tell you is that they know that these batteries were made badly and have been redesigned... look for the ones "without" the sight port... these are the newer better ones. The parts guy at my dealer said that numerous batteries have gone bad and that "somehow" the newer batteries are working out okay. Look for the ones without the sight port on top.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...2-weeks-2.html

Originally Posted by canuck901
yea, there's a bunch of Yuasa batteries that were defective, and had to be replaced, they have the green light displaying charge and still don't work. The new replacement batteries do not have the eye and seem to be much better quality.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
That's one TINY battery. I'd swear that my Harley has the same size battery in it. Listening to the stereo for any length of time will drain it pretty quickly.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
personally I would not be surprised to find out that your harley has the same size battery. I have left my lights on a few times now and each time the battery has died in abouts 2-2.5 hrs. Not a large capacity by any means but, like someone earlier just get it jumped and drive for a few minutes youll be fine.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
anyone upgrade the battery to optima or Odyssey? does it hold more charge?

Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 PM
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...k-warning.html

I think BND is running Odyssey

Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 AM
I once waxed my car and i played exactly 4 songs each about 6 minutes long
roughly 24 minutes ... dome light stays off, doors were closed, windows were down, volume set around 14 .... killed my battery
my battery dies maybe 6 times a month idk why. could it be the HID's? i know i dont leave them on because i always check before i leave to make sure nothing is still plugged in or left on

Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I've yet to see anyone find a higher capacity battery that fits. Some have gone to Braille or Odyssey which have higher CCA, but they are smaller in volume and have less amp-hour capacity.

At some point I'm hoping to remove the battery and make some cardboard mockup of the smallest Optima to see if one could be made to fit. I'm thinking that being able to lay/mount an Optima on it's side without spillage might enable one to Fit, although it would likely require fabrication of a new battery tray/shelf assuming the cables can be made to fit.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MannyaK
I once waxed my car and i played exactly 4 songs each about 6 minutes long
roughly 24 minutes ... dome light stays off, doors were closed, windows were down, volume set around 14 .... killed my battery
my battery dies maybe 6 times a month idk why. could it be the HID's? i know i dont leave them on because i always check before i leave to make sure nothing is still plugged in or left on
24 minutes of song playing should not kill your battery. When I take my kid to soccer practice, I usually play the radio for around 2 hours with no problem starting the car (I drive 30 miutes from home to practice. The battery should be fully charged). I think your battery is not holding charge.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 PM
im going to take it to honda tomorrow my buddy works there
how do i know if mine is one of the defected ones?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
i Know nothing about these people but they do have a battery listed for the Fit.
Honda Fit Battery - Discount Honda Fit Batteries

Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
I've yet to see anyone find a higher capacity battery that fits. Some have gone to Braille or Odyssey which have higher CCA, but they are smaller in volume and have less amp-hour capacity.

At some point I'm hoping to remove the battery and make some cardboard mockup of the smallest Optima to see if one could be made to fit. I'm thinking that being able to lay/mount an Optima on it's side without spillage might enable one to Fit, although it would likely require fabrication of a new battery tray/shelf assuming the cables can be made to fit.
The stock Yuasa @ 40AH, 45min RC is the highest capacity Ive seen. Cranking amps is meaningless for this discussion. The Odyssey PC925 is only 28AH. The good thing is that it is deep cycle, so running it down wont damage it like the stock type.

The Mazda Miata has even a smaller OE battery, 31 AH, and its mounted in the trunk, so there is a long wire run to start a larger 1.8 or 2.0liter engine!
The BMW had a trunk mounted battery, but it was huge, could start a diesel.

Since we dont have a trunk, there are fewer mounting options. I dont see how an Optima will work.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nikita
The stock Yuasa @ 40AH, 45min RC is the highest capacity Ive seen. Cranking amps is meaningless for this discussion. The Odyssey PC925 is only 28AH. The good thing is that it is deep cycle, so running it down wont damage it like the stock type.

The Mazda Miata has even a smaller OE battery, 31 AH, and its mounted in the trunk, so there is a long wire run to start a larger 1.8 or 2.0liter engine!
The BMW had a trunk mounted battery, but it was huge, could start a diesel.

Since we dont have a trunk, there are fewer mounting options. I dont see how an Optima will work.
Using some napkin calcs, a 40AH battery should run a good size stereo 5hrs no problem. You guys need more capacity than that?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
The stock location is pretty limited in both length (because it's wedged in there sideways) and width (due to size of battery tray). You really can't go longer than 9" and that's using all the space between the air filter housing and the headlight. And you only have 5 1/2" of width. The D51 Optima would fit width-wise (5 1/16") but is too long (9 5/16"). Their other sizes are too long and wide.

In the pictures below, you can see that's there's space in front of the battery, towards the radiator. I don't know if there's enough space to accommodate the 9 5/16" length of the shorter Optimas that way or not (battery turned 90 degrees from stock). That would require removing the metal battery tray altogether and coming up with another tray along with the bracket for the positive battery cable that's welded to the OEM tray. Even then, you still might have an issue with cable length. This is where laying an Optima on it's side might help by not forcing you to go up and over the top of a battery to get to the posts. The stock battery is pretty tall (9") which would easily accommodate and Optima right-side up or sitting on it's side.

Hey! I may have just cracked this nut.

The stock battery in the '09 is ~7 1/4"L x 4 7/8"W x 9"H.

The Optima D51/D51R is 9 5/16"L x 5 1/16"W x 8 15/16"H.

Looking at the pics above, there's definitely space for a slightly taller battery, especially since that positive terminal block and threaded rods extend above the top of the battery already.

So... what if you stand an Optima D51 on end? Now you accommodate its long dimension 9 5/16" in place of the 9" height of the stock battery. The remaining dimensions of 8 15/16" x 5 1/16" would fit in the stock tray's 9" x 5.5" limits.

But crushed at the end I'm afraid...

That funky 90-degree terminal block on the positive cable foils this I think. The Optima standing on end has to have the terminals pointed either towards the airbox or the headlight housing. That stupid terminal block then goes on the post and under one end (can't do that since the battery is sitting on that end), or on the post and over the top (which makes the "battery" taller - probably okay) but would likely not be long enough.

Not that a D51 at 38 AH is all that robust either, but at least it would be an alternative if it would work.

Oh well, back to my hole.