2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oversized Oil Filter Options

Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bster13
Actually I claimed success after 3 minutes of idling the car and no leaks haha.
Always nice to run into other Evo/DSM guys! Especially ones who can take a joke in stride!

+Rep (because it seems to matter on this forum! haha)

Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I've been using Hamp Synergy oil filters since 2003. I prefer using smaller oil filters, which causes less oil pressure fluctuation.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Lifted from another Honda site where someone started talking about bigger oil filters can lead to pressure fluctuations:

Look at the two filters. They both have the same diameter inlet holes, and the same diameter outlet holes. As far as decreased oil pressure is concerned, the same bypass relief spring (at the top of the filter) is in both filters, which would produce equal flow pressure. One HUGE advantage to the larger filter is MORE FILTERING MEDIA, which can trap more dirt and other contaminants in the oil before getting clogged, in which case bypassing oil (ie: not filtering it). The only other difference is that the larger one has more capacity, which is good. Given that, more oil capacity equals somewhat lower oil temp (bigger filter to disperse more heat), plus more oil in which to disperse contaminants.
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
I've been using Hamp Synergy oil filters since 2003. I prefer using smaller oil filters, which causes less oil pressure fluctuation.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
....The S2000 oil filter has been on there a couple hundred miles with it's greater surface area and I haven't blown up anything yet.

Here are the part #s from Purolator:

PL14459 L14459

Its not a question of restricted oil flow but of longer time of low oil pressure on startup. A few hundred miles is not a test, 25,000 miles of daily 3 or 4 starts is the problem from increased wear of metal parts. Smoking exhaust is the tell-tale sign. Besides, what does it get you ? two oil changes per filter. Not worth it.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Automotive engineers are pretty well decided that fast oil pressure buildup is cruciual to long engine life.
  • Be forewarned that oversized filters mean slower oil pressure buildup which translates to more engine wear when the engine is started. Thats why manufacturers are specifying smaller filers as possible and strongly demanding changing oil filters with every oil change.
  • If you run 100 miles between startups you might be useful with larger filter but otherwise not.
If the filter holds oil and when you start it starts flowing at the same rate it going in. If the filter drains out I would agree then. Auto manufactures want you to keep buying cars and parts so there can be improvement on what they say. They build the cars to last 110000 miles and most last 2-3 times that long because of what is learned.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Its not a question of restricted oil flow but of longer time of low oil pressure on startup. A few hundred miles is not a test, 25,000 miles of daily 3 or 4 starts is the problem from increased wear of metal parts. Smoking exhaust is the tell-tale sign. Besides, what does it get you ? two oil changes per filter. Not worth it.
Smoking exhaust is Blow-by and is caused by one or a combination of these things; Contaminated oil from fuel not burned off properly (plug gap, worn plugs), rich fuel mixture of too much fuel (carb settings, weak injectors), leaking head gasket drawing moisture from the water system, and ending in weakened rings and low compression.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Always nice to run into other Evo/DSM guys! Especially ones who can take a joke in stride!

+Rep (because it seems to matter on this forum! haha)
guess you don't go on evom much nowadays, that entire forum can't take jokes/criticisms at all lol

Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Hi Im Vinh
guess you don't go on evom much nowadays, that entire forum can't take jokes/criticisms at all lol
I just lurk to find information when google takes me there.

Still better than DSMTuners or god forbid you end up going to DSMTalk.

"Hai guise I havnt dun 12's yet but wut trbo will make me go 10sec quartermile? loloolol I bot a boost controllr, tial bov and a 16g, it was like OMGFAST but then something popped and it wont start ne more

any1 hav sum ideas????? "

This is the only public access forum I have an account on that I can tolerate at the moment

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-09-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I just lurk to find information when google takes me there.

Still better than DSMTuners or god forbid you end up going to DSMTalk.

"Hai guise I havnt dun 12's yet but wut trbo will make me go 10sec quartermile? loloolol I bot a boost controllr, tial bov and a 16g, it was like OMGFAST but then something popped and it wont start ne more

any1 hav sum ideas????? "

This is the only public access forum I have an account on that I can tolerate at the moment
You should have been around here a couple of years ago.... It was very much as what you have described but more about cosmetic crap with comments like " That looks so cool, I gotta have one too, what does it do?"

Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Lifted from another Honda site where someone started talking about bigger oil filters can lead to pressure fluctuations:

The size of the can has not as great an effect on how many square feet of filter area or thesize of the pores as you think.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Smoking exhaust is Blow-by and is caused by one or a combination of these things; Contaminated oil from fuel not burned off properly (plug gap, worn plugs), rich fuel mixture of too much fuel (carb settings, weak injectors), leaking head gasket drawing moisture from the water system, and ending in weakened rings and low compression.

Or oil slipping by worn rings. Water in the exhaust yields white exhaust, not smoking which is gray.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I think this is why quality oil filters have anti-drain back valves. The goal of the valve is to prevent oil from draining back out the inlet of the filter when the engine is not running. So when you start the engine, the filter is primed with oil. Even if the anti-drain back valve is faulty, or non-existent in a cheaper filter you still benefit from the Honda Engineers mounting the filter horizontally as the filter will still have some oil in it.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...Oilcutaway.jpg

Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
I think this is why quality oil filters have anti-drain back valves. The goal of the valve is to prevent oil from draining back out the inlet of the filter when the engine is not running. So when you start the engine, the filter is primed with oil. Even if the anti-drain back valve is faulty, or non-existent in a cheaper filter you still benefit from the Honda Engineers mounting the filter horizontally as the filter will still have some oil in it.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...Oilcutaway.jpg

Its not only the fill but the time it takes to pressurize the oil system, primarily galleries that must fill the gaps, such as main bearings, with oil.
No system without anti-drain survives long. The time it takes to fill the oil delivery system and pressurize too is very long and certainly increases wear to the metals adjacent. And too little pressure robs needed oil lubrication.
It still requires measureable time to pressurize the oil system so that it delivers oil at a prescibed rate. The shorter the better. As many posters have pointed out manufacurers went to the smallest filter they could to maximize engine life. In some cases they went too far to the extent that their oil filters filled with contaminants long before oil was changed and the oil system bypassed the filters so that some engines were damaged by acidic recycled oils.

Last edited by mahout; 12-09-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 PM
So if the oil filter is primed, would not the engine have pressure quickly no matter how big the filter? (give the inlet and outlet holes in the filters are the same)

If the anti-drain valve functions the same for both the smaller OEM filter and the larger oversized filter, and you've added a small bit of oil to the engine with the bigger capacity oil filter, then both filters are primed and thus quickly pressurized as I understand it.

No system without anti-drain survives long
If an engine has a filter that hangs completely vertical below the engine, then I'm not sure that sort of engine would need an anti-drain valve since gravity is your friend to keep the filter primed.

manufacurers went to the smallest filter they could to maximize engine life.
I don't necessarily trust manufacturers as they supply wear items for cars as well and reap a good profit off those parts. And like you stated, if they spec a filter that is too small (filter area), your filter goes into bypass mode too quickly.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
This is an interesting thread. I am looking for a full synthetic oversized filter to use on my Honda Fit 2009 sport trim. I use Amsoil signature oil and push my filters (Amsoil ea15k) over the 15K mark (they used to sell the Amsoil EAO filters good for 25K miles but they got discontinued for this filter model).

So, is there an equivalent filter of the Purolater PL14459 L14459 sold by Royal purple for e.g.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2015, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
honda motor company is a lot smarter than some douchebags on an internet forum. if a larger filter were better than a smaller filter on our car, honda would have recommended the use of such a filter
Manufacturers use a smaller filter because at their level its cheaper..
Its always about the money. If it saves 2 cents.. they will do it.. (Acceptable losses....)

Old 12-23-2015, 09:36 PM
PL14610 vs PL14459

the Purolator site says the PL14610 is correct for the FIT:
diameter 2.69, height 3.52, Relief valve 14-18 psi

and that the PL14459 is correct for the S2000:
diameter 3.15, height 2.95, Relief valve 12-15 psi

calculated volume based on outside dimensions:
PL14610 = 20
PL14459 = 23

So the shorter fatter filter is maybe 15% bigger than the stock one, so there might be more filter medium in there but depending on how they are constructed it is not a certainty. We need to open one of each, remove the filter media and measure the surface area to really know without a doubt which has more.

Also the bypass for the S2000's filter opens at potentially a lower pressure than the stock one for the FIT, though the ranges overlap. I don't like that very much, it is not a huge difference, but perhaps it could be used as a basis for warranty denial.

I have not checked the data from the Fram site, and do not know the dimensions of the genuine Honda stock filter, but so far, the advantage does not seem that certain.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Hello all, I have created another thread on this website. I have put some of my filter info there. Cheers to all. Oversize engine oil filter for Honda fit 2009 | Engine Oil Filters | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 08-23-2016, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
hydrocynus, fantastic bobistheoilguy post. It's been many years since I've been a regular there. please keep us updated here with your findings and choices (and part numbers). I am quite inclined to follow you (and requested a blackstone kit because I definitely need an updated analysis).

Old 09-07-2016, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I have used an size up (in volume) Royal Purple 10-2880. Look at my results in the thread on BITOG. Because the flange is pretty wide, there might be other options with larger gaskets. There surely is a lot of clearance around to filter.
Will post the dimension of the flange later on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oversized Oil Filter Options