2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit vs CR-V

Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
mileage

Ric01,
I measure the Fit Mileage almost every tank. Mileage varies from 29.5 to 33 mpg's depending on the percentage of highway miles versus in-town miles. I would say that 70% highway/30% in-town gives 32-33 while 40%hwy/60% in-town gives 29.5-30.5mpgs. I have never gotten below 29.5 mpg's for a tank of gas. I drive 5-10 mph above the speed limit in most conditions (except school zones/residential areas). I would say I had 7500 miles on the car before it got its best mileage. Ambient temperature may have a 1-2 mpg effect as well but I'm not sure about that.

I can only estimate the CR-V mileage hwy and in-town around 22-23 mpg's but I can tell you that my wife probably drives 80-85% in-town so that isn't too bad.

We put about 18,000 miles per year on each car.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Catdaddy
Honda BLEW-IT when they didn't design the sound system to integrate with iPod/iPhone/MP3 players far better than they did (most disappointing aspect of the car IMO and this applies to the CR-V too).
You're blaming the wrong company... Alpine supplied the radios for the Fit (and possibly the CR-V).

39171-TK6-A01
- TUNER ASSY. (41WX4) (ALPINE) (FOR WARRANTY REPAIR, REFER TO S/B 06-001/PIB:A06-0001)

Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I have decided on the FIT... I think it will be the best for me and considering the enthusiasm I see for the vehicle here I want to own one.

There are 2 issues about the vehicle that concern me:

-the stock battery seems very small... is there an upgrade available?

-there is a large opening in the lower grille that appears to leave the
ac condenser vulnerable to road debris... is there a Honda fix for this
or do we need to go with a DIY mod? My only concern with a DIY
solution is how it will affect the warranty.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i didn't look at the CRV's but i suppose their AWD (if offered) would be a nice option to have in the winter.

im not a big fan of the current CRV's looks...

Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
I have decided on the FIT... I think it will be the best for me and considering the enthusiasm I see for the vehicle here I want to own one.

The battery is fine. Why do you want to upgrade? Make sure it is fully charged. The dealer is supposed to cross that off on his checklist before delivery but few actually do it. Same thing with the body plugs. Get underneath and check to see they are there. Do the DIY mesh guard for the AC condenser. Just search the forums for specs, material list, etc. It will only cost you a few bucks. Took me a couple of hours and I worked pretty slowly. Enjoy your fit and stop worrying. After one year of owning mine, I really can't find a single reason not to buy it all over again.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Good to hear you are more incline towards the FIT. The only problems I heard so far regarding FIT batteries is when someone forget to close the hatch door tightly leaving the trunk light on or someone forget to switch off the dome cabin light or left the passenger door open.

Their FIT could not start due to flat battery the following day when the lights are accidentally left on, draining the battery. Now, I have never experience this and I am not sure if for those affected by flat batteries after leaving the trunk light on is due to their batteries already reaching the end of their useful life and the leaving the lights on during the night is the last straw on the camels back.. I am not sure.

To avoid such accidents of leaving lights on, I activate my security alarm each time I park the car, even in my own garage. If the alarm cannot arm, that means one of the doors is ajar and some cabin or trunk lights are on.

Regarding your second point on A/C condensor mesh, "know-nothin" has given the perfect advice for you.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
I'm one of those that had a dead battery shortly after I got my fit (over a year ago). I did not close the hatch tightly and did not drive the car for several days. I was greeted with a battery that would power up lights but not strong enough to turn the engine over. I did a slow tickle charge and the battery has been absolutely superb ever since. Even when the car has sat for several days in very cold weather, it has always started up without any hesitation. From this I conclude that the battery is perfectly capable and there is no need to worry about it or upgrade it. Just my 2 cents on that matter.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
I had a 2001 CRV since new. I loved the "outback" look, versatility and awd. Last summer when it was time to trade my tired CRV I opted for the Fit because it was 6-8k cheaper, 6-8 more mpg, hip colors, fun to drive and the current CRV (and Accord and Crosstour) are some of the ugliest cars Honda has ever made. The Fit will not match the CRV in utility with 5 passengers and their stuff, but that never happened in 10 years, though. If I miss the AWD a couple of times a year I'll remember the $$$ saved.

But after all, most people buy what they want, not what they need.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by rprpclark
I had a 2001 CRV since new. I loved the "outback" look, versatility and awd. Last summer when it was time to trade my tired CRV I opted for the Fit because it was 6-8k cheaper, 6-8 more mpg, hip colors, fun to drive and the current CRV (and Accord and Crosstour) are some of the ugliest cars Honda has ever made. The Fit will not match the CRV in utility with 5 passengers and their stuff, but that never happened in 10 years, though. If I miss the AWD a couple of times a year I'll remember the $$$ saved.

But after all, most people buy what they want, not what they need.
I hear you loud and clear, rprpclark... as I have shared in another thread,
Each time I saw bigger and more power car on the road or in magazines that tempted my "wants" (which I don't absolutely need a bigger car, FIT is enough), I will fight all the temptations by chanting in my head.... feel good at the gas station fuel pump, feel good at the gas station fuel pump.. low cost of ownership... low cost of ownership...and keep repeating over and over to myself and I am fine. I love my FIT

Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
How many of you who considered the FIT also had a look at the CR-V? ...what were the factors that swayed you in favor of the FIT?

-both vehicles are considered extremely reliable

-Fit weights ~2400 lbs vs the CR-V at ~3500 lbs
-Fit has 24 cubic ft cargo volume vs the CR-V at 25.5 cubic ft

Of course, purchase price of the CR-V is higher.

This is the bit of dilemma I am facing at the moment as I consider what to purchase this coming summer.

Apologies for replying an old thread:

My Fit was in the shop today for her 30K maintenance. I drove a 2014 CR-V rental for the day. It was one of the better rentals I've ever driven but it ranks, in my opinion, "meh" as a driver's car. It was mushier than the Fit for handling, less responsive on the gas (even with econ mode off), and rather twitchy on the brake. The visibility was decent but still less than the Fit. Though "P-R-N-D-2-1" is intolerable (why couldn't Honda at least put a 3rd gear on the A/T shifter? And why not a manual with 5 or 6 gears, or paddles like the Acura RDX?) Just my 2¢.

ƒ!† ƒ®∑åk

Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
I actually own both cars, the GD Fit is my daily driver and my wife has a 2012 cr-v EX-L.. I agree that the cr-v isn't as responsive or handle as well as the fit, but it is a bit more comfortable ride if you are traveling any kind of long distance. The storage is pretty close, but with the seats folded down you will get a bit more space out of the cr-v.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Phnergnerf
Apologies for replying an old thread:

My Fit was in the shop today for her 30K maintenance. I drove a 2014 CR-V rental for the day. It was one of the better rentals I've ever driven but it ranks, in my opinion, "meh" as a driver's car. It was mushier than the Fit for handling, less responsive on the gas (even with econ mode off), and rather twitchy on the brake. The visibility was decent but still less than the Fit. Though "P-R-N-D-2-1" is intolerable (why couldn't Honda at least put a 3rd gear on the A/T shifter? And why not a manual with 5 or 6 gears, or paddles like the Acura RDX?) Just my 2¢.

ƒ!† ƒ®∑åk

well, those cars are designed for 30-something moms... where as fits are for the younger crowd. or people like me that just wants a fun-ish beater

Old 09-03-2014, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
well, those cars are designed for 30-something moms... where as fits are for the younger crowd. or people like me that just wants a fun-ish beater
whoa there-- I am mid-sixties and see a good number of senior folks in Fits.
30- something is the younger crowd

Old 09-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I know this is an old thread, but we went through a similar decision last year:

- CRV (Too big & fancy, per my wife.)
- Element (Hard to find at the time with low miles and didn't care for the extended-cab style doors. Wife didn't care for the looks.)
- Civic Coupe (Wife's favorite for looks, but hard to enter/exit, especially since she'll be in her mid-60s when she's done with the car in 10 years.)
- Fit (Best price / value, easy entry-exit, just the right size for her.)

Old 09-04-2014, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
Apologies to cnordt24, I didn't intend to offend you if I did. You're right, the CR-V is much more plush & comfy than the Fit. Of all the current Honda vehicles it would be my second choice. It could have been my first choice if it had a manual transmission or paddle shifters: the extra space, AWD, ground clearance, and towing capability.

That being said, in regards to rentals, compared to a 2014 Toyota Corolla with a CVT the Honda CR-V is downright perfect. (Insert rant here about *that* driver experience... )

Old 09-04-2014, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
whoa there-- I am mid-sixties and see a good number of senior folks in Fits.
30- something is the younger crowd
well you're young at heart i guess then. lol.. im not that young either.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Both, a Y2K CR-V SE, and a 2012 Fit Sport, comfort goes to the CR-V, CR-V stands for Comfortable Runabout Vehicle<true Story. Fun to drive goes to the Fit.

On the same route the CR-V gets 22.5 Mpg to the Fits 30 Mpg

Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
My parents have a CR-V. The only thing that swayed me towards the FIT is my age and wants. The CR-V is boring, yet reliable and useful as a small SUV. The FIT is fun and versatile.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:34 PM
i drive a 2012 fit sport/nav and my wife has a 2013 CRV EXL. (same colors )

i prefer driving my fit, even long distances partly because its the cheaper car with better mileage and i dont feel as bad throwing a bike in it, loading it up with luggage, etc. the fit and finish of the CRV are obviously nicer both have the exact same navigation system but the extra screen of the CRV and backup cam are nice.

seeing as they carry nearly the same amount of cargo, the CRV still feels alot bigger. there is the 10k price difference though. i would buy a fit again over a CRV

the upcoming HRV though.....i'm holding off trading in for a 2015 fit till the HRV is out. maybe best of the Fit and crv combined

Old 09-14-2014, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
We have both, a 13 CR-V Ex-l and 13 Fit Sport. We bought the CR-V for my wife two summers ago to replace her old Pilot. Then I followed up this past spring to replace my Subaru Outback.
I prefer the CR-V on long road trips, it's much more settled at higher speeds and less downshifting required. Also gets over 30mpg at 75mph+. The DVD player and wireless headphones are great so my boy can watch his movies while we listen to XM radio.
However around town, the Fit is much better. The Fit gets over 30mpg, has better visibility, and is much more fun to drive. Our Cr-V gets around 21-22mpg in the city.
Either car is a good choice, they are reliable, have a lot of cargo room and are a pleasure to drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit vs CR-V