Fit FREAK.net

Go Back   Unofficial Honda FIT Forums > The Honda Fit and Jazz Forums > 2nd Generation (GE 08-13)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Welcome to Fit Freak!
Welcome to Fit Freak,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Kingfisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6 Points: 314, Level: 6
Level up: 28%, 36 Points needed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Daily Activity: 2.0%
Daily Activity: 2.0% Daily Activity: 2.0% Daily Activity: 2.0%
Fit keys....waterproof??

Thinking of putting my extra Fit key somewhere on the outside of the vehicle....as I do all my cars....since the keys have all the remote tech stuff on them, are they waterproof/durable, can they handle the elements??
Sponsored Links
Registered users do not see this ad.
Click here to register for free!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM

Punisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to livePunisher11 relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12 Points: 632, Level: 12
Level up: 64%, 18 Points needed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Daily Activity: 1.1%
Daily Activity: 1.1% Daily Activity: 1.1% Daily Activity: 1.1%
considering the Fit isnt an off road capable vehicle, ill say it isnt weather proof.

it is however water resistant to some degree (dropped my keys in the snow), but i dont think it would hold up to submergence for very long.

maybe try using a hide a key type box?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM

Blackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to liveBlackbeard relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,980, Level: 26 Points: 1,980, Level: 26 Points: 1,980, Level: 26
Level up: 80%, 20 Points needed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Daily Activity: 0%
Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0%
Wink And maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher11 View Post
considering the Fit isnt an off road capable vehicle, ill say it isnt weather proof.

it is however water resistant to some degree (dropped my keys in the snow), but i dont think it would hold up to submergence for very long.

maybe try using a hide a key type box?
Inside a zip-lock bag....

Keith S. :{)>
2010 Blackberry Pearl Fit Sport
Old 01-18-2011, 12:01 PM

Brain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to liveBrain Champagne relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 2,304, Level: 29 Points: 2,304, Level: 29 Points: 2,304, Level: 29
Level up: 3%, 146 Points needed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Daily Activity: 4.7%
Daily Activity: 4.7% Daily Activity: 4.7% Daily Activity: 4.7%
A tiny ziplock bag may be your solution. Just don't put the key somewhere the battery might get cooked, like anywhere near the exhaust system.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:45 PM

clicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to liveclicq relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26 Points: 1,958, Level: 26
Level up: 58%, 42 Points needed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Thinking of putting my extra Fit key somewhere on the outside of the vehicle....as I do all my cars....since the keys have all the remote tech stuff on them, are they waterproof/durable, can they handle the elements??
Why don't you just have a plain copy made without the remote transmitter or fancy immobilizer chip? I assume you have this key only for when you lock your keys in the car. Sure, when you unlock the door with this key your alarm will go off, but you can just grab the real key inside the car and disarm the system.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Roland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to liveRoland relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 414, Level: 8 Points: 414, Level: 8 Points: 414, Level: 8
Level up: 28%, 36 Points needed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
My keys fell off a pier into about 8ft of water for about 10 min until I could dive down and find them. They never missed a beat, I couldn't believe it. Not sure I'd put them through a regular beating though. Good luck...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM

JILogan11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Snorkeling

I just got home after a half hour snorkeling in Glenelg Bay. No worries with the key. It still locks/unlocks the car
Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 AM

Ric01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to liveRic01 relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 718, Level: 14 Points: 718, Level: 14 Points: 718, Level: 14
Level up: 18%, 82 Points needed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicq View Post
Why don't you just have a plain copy made without the remote transmitter or fancy immobilizer chip? I assume you have this key only for when you lock your keys in the car. Sure, when you unlock the door with this key your alarm will go off, but you can just grab the real key inside the car and disarm the system.
I like clicq's idea.. cheaper and it works just for opening the door for you to grap the real key... the plain jane key will have no water issues, no batteries freezing issues, no batteries heated up issues during hot days
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member

reako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to livereako relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 4,542, Level: 42 Points: 4,542, Level: 42 Points: 4,542, Level: 42
Level up: 96%, 8 Points needed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicq View Post
good idea
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM

mynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to livemynameisphunk relies on Rep Points to live
I've run one of my keys through a normal wash (and dry!) cycle before and it worked fine afterwards, but I wouldn't mount it outside my car unless it was in some sort of plastic bag, etc....
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member

fittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to livefittmann relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,503, Level: 22 Points: 1,503, Level: 22 Points: 1,503, Level: 22
Level up: 3%, 97 Points needed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Daily Activity: 2.4%
Daily Activity: 2.4% Daily Activity: 2.4% Daily Activity: 2.4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisphunk View Post
I've run one of my keys through a normal wash (and dry!) cycle before and it worked fine afterwards, but I wouldn't mount it outside my car unless it was in some sort of plastic bag, etc....
To date: I've owned my Fit since March, 2007 and my key has accidentally gone through 4 wash cycles!! I wouldn't say it's waterproof, but it darn sure is DURABLE!!
'07 VBP Sport 5MT w/ minor appearance & comfort mods!!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM