2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
Honda announces recall

Apparently valve spring problem.

Honda Canada recalls 14,640 Fit models to replace lost motion springs

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
what about US fit owners....no 800 number here?

btw thanks for the heads up!!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Exclamation Lost Motion Assembly

Here's the US take in it: Honda to recall 97,000 Fit subcompact cars - Feb. 17, 2011

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 02-17-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Efffffffffff.. Thats a pain. Oh well.

Question, for those of us that have intakes, will they still correct the problem since its in the engine? Or is it best to remove your intake before you take it in just to avoid any problems?

(Im just thinking about this)

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Not the valve springs per-say, but the lost-motion spring.

Lost-motion spring compresses the secondary rocker arm in the Vtec engine and holds it in place. That's the rocker that is activated by the Vtec control valve. The spring sits in the top of the rocker.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Weird - we haven't heard of much, if any, major problems on a GE engine so far, but Honda must see something coming down the road based on their other year-older markets. I am not familiar with this spring they speak of. Would it being defective possibly contribute to the valves getting out of whack, and needing adjustment, accounting for the diesel engine note most of us get with the car? They do say something about engine noise.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Has nothing to do with valve adjustment. Its only purpose is to stabilize the secondary rocker arm - which sits idle unless V-tec is engaged. The spring puts pressure on the rocker to keep it from 'flopping' around.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM
stalling engine 2008 fit

My engine stalled on the freeway, completely lost power and coasted to the side, a couple days before that it stalled while driving around neighborhood, mechanics rebooted computer , no problem until about 6 months ago idling rough and now stalling in the morning when engine called , pulled in reverse and than stalling. Mechanic couldn't catch the problem when I took it in. European recall and north American recall with engine spring could be the problem

Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Has nothing to do with valve adjustment. Its only purpose is to stabilize the secondary rocker arm - which sits idle unless V-tec is engaged. The spring puts pressure on the rocker to keep it from 'flopping' around.

So if we drive in a responsible manner and do not V-TEC we should be OK.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
That looks as if it will be an expensive recall. I guess I need to just wait for my letter.

Last edited by john181818; 02-17-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 AM
talk to corporate honda

they say the stalling problem is with 09 and 2010 honda fit, once spring stops working car does not start at all, my engine problem is different , engine stall in morning recently than drives when warmed up

Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Come on honda!!

I knew there was a weird noise coming from my engine bay(As I posted on in another tread).I've had to paint my UNpainted wheel well's,Tighten seat bolt's,replace my windsheild over a TINY acorn,buy extra floormat's(wheatertech's)because of Very Cheap Carpeting and now THIS!!COME ON HONDA!!Sorry for the Rant,but after 12 year's of driving Honda's,I've have seen first hand that Honda is really losing it(Check out the 3 or so pretty major recall's the new ACCORD/CR-V are having).When sale's are the major goal,customer's sufer.I will say at least Honda is addressing this issue(After Japan then Canada).Hope this will be an easy fix and will FINALLY address my engine noise.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone know if this could be the cause of the engine ticking sound I keep hearing?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I don't have stalling or anything like that. But after about 1000 miles on the car the engine got louder(like a tinging noice) so I took it to the dealership and they said it was normal, all newer fits do it. If this is the problem I tryed to address over a year ago and they looked at me like I was just a female I am going to be pissed. Hopefully, it doesn't stall out on me. My drive home everyday is through a constuction area up hill with nowhere to pull off. (At least I know the contruction guys are welling to lend a hand they pushed a mini van up it the other day b/c it quit).

Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Not sure driving responsibly has much to do with it.
V-Tec can be engaged under a variety of conditions that have little to do with hot-rodding.

Honda has apparently found an inherent weakness in the spring and has instituted the re-call to fix it.
The position of the secondary rocker to proper engagement is important to engine performance.
I wouldn't suggest ignoring the notice.

Keep in mind that any issue, other than a potential for 'noise', will only occur if you take the RPM's over 5K, so I can see where senior is coming from__

As far as the fix, the tech will need to pull the rocker assembly, replace the springs and put it all back together again.
Question is - will they then re-adjust the valves.
In my mind, if you pull the rocker assembly, they should, some might differ.

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 02-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, would this explain the weird buzziness in my engine when VTEC engages or is that just inherent in the engine? When I rev mine really high (which isn't often) it reminds me of an old Quad 4 Beretta. Either way, it sounds like an expensive recall and one I won't ignore. I ignored a recall on my 02 CR-V for 5-6 years b/c it sounded innocuous. Then it stranded me on the side of the interstate 3 hours from home one day. Good times...

Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by SSMTEN
Efffffffffff.. Thats a pain. Oh well.

Question, for those of us that have intakes, will they still correct the problem since its in the engine? Or is it best to remove your intake before you take it in just to avoid any problems?

(Im just thinking about this)

If you have the orginal intake I would just put it back on to be safe. In my town through other cars, I have noticed that some dealerships are picky and other ones don't care if you have minor mods such as an airbox. So to avoid it problems return the car as much back to stock as possible.

Most dealers that I have asked questions too say an airbox shouldn't be a problem. But you never know.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
What irks me, is that I find out about this today, but I'll still have to wait a month to find out if my Fit is affected, then schedule a service appointment and lose a day out of work waitng for the repair. In the meantime, what should I do? Should I stop driving the car now? It's not as if I have another car to drive, so I don't have much choice.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
So if we drive in a responsible manner and do not V-TEC we should be OK.
it is responsible to give ones car a good work-out

Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
What irks me, is that I find out about this today, but I'll still have to wait a month to find out if my Fit is affected, then schedule a service appointment and lose a day out of work waitng for the repair. In the meantime, what should I do? Should I stop driving the car now? It's not as if I have another car to drive, so I don't have much choice.

I agree with you. We have to wait around. There is no real way I can quit driving my car, I just know that I will be only staying in town. Until it is fixed.

Does anyone have an estimate on how long they think the repair will take? I know that dealers are pretty quick when only one car has an issue but they are going to be busy when the notice goes out. I hope it doesn't take more then a day. My fit was already in the shop for a day last week.

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall