2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Honda 0W-20 so much more expensive than 5W-20

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Why is Honda 0W-20 so much more expensive than 5W-20

I have an '11 Fit Sport. I see that the '11 is supposed to use 0W-20 oil. On College Hills Honda's website, 0W-20 sells for $65 a case, while 5W-20 sells for only $28 a case. Why the difference? Is the 0W-20 synthetic?

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I can't seem to find them on the College Hills web site but if you can give me the part numbers I'll let you know. The black bottled Honda oil is semi-synthetic, the silver bottles now are "pure" synthetic, labeled "Ultra".

Prior to this, all the bottles of Honda oil were silver and unlabeled as to type, except to say grade and weight.

Assuming they are still the same, I suppose the supply of 0 weight oil is much lower, therefore more expensive.

Last edited by rhyneba; 02-27-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
I am not absolutely sure but I think I read it that 0w oils can only be maid synthetic (Hydrocracked group III?). Maybe that's why.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry that I cannot explain the price difference but this is news to me.

I have a 2009 and a 2010 Fits and they both ask for 5w-20 oil.

Now, with no engine changes that we know of, they start using 0w-20 oil in the 2011s? CRAZY!

I want to know what changed.

Was this discussed in a previous thread or on Bob is the Oil Guy?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ Yup, read it sometime ago at BITOG.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:52 PM
All 2011 Honda's are using 0W-20, there is no engine changes, Honda just waited to begin recommending it until there was a decent supply of 0W-20 on the market. 0W-20 can be used in any engine that specifies 5w-20 and provides better cold start protection. According to my local Honda dealer, Honda 0w-20 is only available in semi-synthetic or synthetic, while the 5w-20 is a conventional oil.

Me personally, I wouldn't pay extra for Honda brand 0w-20 when there are so many quality synthetic 0w's on the market for less. I'll be using Honda fluids (like DW1, which is also recommended as ATF for all 2011 Honda's) in everything else.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by nfs480
All 2011 Honda's are using 0W-20, there is no engine changes, Honda just waited to begin recommending it until there was a decent supply of 0W-20 on the market. 0W-20 can be used in any engine that specifies 5w-20 and provides better cold start protection. According to my local Honda dealer, Honda 0w-20 is only available in semi-synthetic or synthetic, while the 5w-20 is a conventional oil.

Me personally, I wouldn't pay extra for Honda brand 0w-20 when there are so many quality synthetic 0w's on the market for less. I'll be using Honda fluids (like DW1, which is also recommended as ATF for all 2011 Honda's) in everything else.
For Minnesota, or other northern states, a 0W is a good idea.

The thinnest cold weight you can find is what you want. As long as it meets your start up oil pressure requirements and 0W20 does for our cars.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
What are the odds I can get them to use 0w in the free first oil change?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
What are the odds I can get them to use 0w in the free first oil change?
You have a GE right (L15A7)? Depends on how much they like you.

In all seriousness, just ask them you never know. I am pretty sure if I asked them they would do it for me.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Yes, a 2010, bought in November. I'll ask and see what happens. Of course what they say and what they actually use could be very different. Does Honda get oil in quarts or does it come in some giant or premeasured vat?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, a 2010, bought in November. I'll ask and see what happens. Of course what they say and what they actually use could be very different. Does Honda get oil in quarts or does it come in some giant or premeasured vat?
Quarts, Honda or M1

The bulk oil is probably 5w30. Even though they said it was Honda oil.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 02-27-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
^^^ Yup, read it sometime ago at BITOG.
Didn't find it there yet, but I shall keep on lookin.

Originally Posted by nfs480

So is Honda recommending that "only 2011 and new models" use 0w-20 or can any engine where they recommended 5w-20 be allowed to switch over while keeping to factory recommendations and thus keeping the warranty?

On both my Fits, I only use Full Syn. oil anyways and change it according to the M. Minder, so it's not going to cost me more switching to 0w-20, but there must be some beni"FITS" if Honda switched.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Well, if Honda says 5W20 and I see them putting bulk 5W30 in my car they're gonna owe me a lifetime of free oil changes!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Well, if Honda says 5W20 and I see them putting bulk 5W30 in my car they're gonna owe me a lifetime of free oil changes!
In 2003 when I had my first 2004 Honda, they told me it was 5w30 but thats when they just changed over to 5w20. I used M1 then and had real good results with Mobil 0w20 but it was and is hard to find. 5w30 would not hurt the motor just mpg. Thats the reason for the thinner oils and can remember the posts on how bad thinner oil was for the car and how it would wreck the motor. Look how far we have come from when it first came out.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
0w20 will work in any car that specifies 5w20. See the FAQ from any of the oil brands website on this.

From a technical standpoint, it's the viscosity of the oil that matters. For quick dumbed down refresher:
At operating temp, your car needs the viscosity of 20weight oil.
At cold (room) temps, oil is goo-ier and flows slower. 20weight oil is going to be too thick to startup your car.

5w means you need the viscosity of what 5weight oil would be at cold temp(which is still thicker than 20 at the final operating temparture).
0w will flow even easier than 5weight (but still thicker than 20 at final operating temperature)

So you can think of it as 0w20 is the same as 5w20 pre-warmed up a little bit, making it easier on everything. but when it gets fully warmed up it still ends up at 20, and doesn't go over that to become overly thin.

It is just a larger difference viscosity difference so needs a better additive pack and better oil to maintain that difference and not shear together to something like 15weight oil. So these typically are "semi-synthetic" or "synthetic" formulations which command a price premium.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-28-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I'd be careful about switching viscosities while under warranty; I know about Moss-Magnuson but if an engine problem develops I'd rather not worry about it. I've used 0w-20 in my 09 Fit, maybe I imagined it but I heard more valve noise.

I'd stick with whatever the manual calls for unless there is compelling evidence to change for the better.

b

Old 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by pdculbert
I have an '11 Fit Sport. I see that the '11 is supposed to use 0W-20 oil. On College Hills Honda's website, 0W-20 sells for $65 a case, while 5W-20 sells for only $28 a case. Why the difference? Is the 0W-20 synthetic?

Thanks.
I bet Honda recommends 0W-20 oil for Honda Fit just because they make much more money on it. I believe conventional non-synthetic oil is just fine for my Fit because of my driving style. I am not saying I drive like a grandma, but I don't force my car at all. This week AutoZone just down the street from my house sells oil filter and five quarts of conventional 5W-20 oil for around $15. If Honda Fit was a high performance sports car then of course I would make sure I use the best oil out there, but since it isn't I truly believe conventional non-synthetic oil is just fine.

I ENCOURAGE MORE MECHANICALLY INCLINED HONDA FIT OWNERS TO COMMENT ON MY REPLY BECAUSE I MIGHT BE WRONG IN REGARDS TO THIS PARTICULAR SUBJECT.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by FitsMePerfect
I bet Honda recommends 0W-20 oil for Honda Fit just because they make much more money on it. I believe conventional non-synthetic oil is just fine for my Fit because of my driving style. I am not saying I drive like a grandma, but I don't force my car at all. This week AutoZone just down the street from my house sells oil filter and five quarts of conventional 5W-20 oil for around $15. If Honda Fit was a high performance sports car then of course I would make sure I use the best oil out there, but since it isn't I truly believe conventional non-synthetic oil is just fine.

I ENCOURAGE MORE MECHANICALLY INCLINED HONDA FIT OWNERS TO COMMENT ON MY REPLY BECAUSE I MIGHT BE WRONG IN REGARDS TO THIS PARTICULAR SUBJECT.

Even 10w30 dino would probably do just fine. I doubt they would change the recommended oil weight just on a cost basis, or they wouldn't have spent the money to determine whether or not their lowest level economy car like the Fit would see longterm benefits from it.

Their are distinct advantages to a 0w and one of the important ones, cold viscosity, was mentioned by raytseng

Another is the effect of the lower cold weight on start up oil pressure and it's ability to get under the "wedge" formed when you are in BOC stages 1 and 2 (<35) on the Stribeck Curve.

Basically it helps you get to full hydrodynamic lubrication sooner which means less time for your bearings to contact the parts they are letting rotate. Like the crankshaft and rod journals, or the cam lobes and journals for a couple examples

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Even 10w30 dino would probably do just fine. I doubt they would change the recommended oil weight just on a cost basis, or they wouldn't have spent the money to determine whether or not their lowest level economy car like the Fit would see longterm benefits from it.

Their are distinct advantages to a 0w and one of the important ones, cold viscosity, was mentioned by raytseng

Another is the effect of the lower cold weight on start up oil pressure and it's ability to get under the "wedge" formed when you are in BOC stages 1 and 2 (<35) on the Stribeck Curve.

Basically it helps you get to full hydrodynamic lubrication sooner which means less time for your bearings to contact the parts they are letting rotate. Like the crankshaft and rod journals, or the cam lobes and journals for a couple examples
You are like a fountain of knowledge and I bet everyone on Honda Fit Forum appreciate your inputs. With that being said, do you think myself and others on this forum who use conventional non-synthetic oil in their Fits have nothing to worry about when they pour that bottle of non-synthetic into the engine??? Thanks in advance for your help.

Quick Reply: Why is Honda 0W-20 so much more expensive than 5W-20