2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Stock Dunlop Tires

Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Stock Dunlop Tires

Hey everyone sorry that my first post is a complaint, but Dunlop/Honda really dropped the ball with these 185/55/16 tires that came stock on my 2011 sport. My girlfriend drove it to work last week and blew a tire on a pothole (didn't get the road hazard coverage) so I ended up calling about 20 places including 5 dealers who did not have these tires. I guess these are on back order for at least a month. I don't know who to be angrier at Dunlop for having these tires on back order or Honda for putting such a hard to find size stock on these cars.(end rant)

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm going to go with the 205/50/16 once these dunny's bite the dust....quite a better selection and worth a mile or 2 mpg in my mind...I mean the Fit is not some unpopular car that tire makers should be shunning should they??

Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Honda has always run odd sizes. The Civic Si & Integra both ran 195/55/15s which was a nightmare to find. For economy purposes, honda tends to run the following based upon what Ive seen. Either the same width as another manufacturer but a taller tire or a narrower tire at the same overall diameter. I am making a guess that this is because they put out more power/litre so they opt to find the maximum economy tire (Tall & narrow) that they can for the vehicle. Most vehicles running 16" wheels are running 205 width or larger tires as the majority are vehicles like the altima, Accord etc... and for the fit sport to come with 16" wheels yet need a narrower tire for economy, it's a rarity.
/speculation

OP, maybe it is time to upgrade your tires to something a little bit wider and sell off the dunlops to others here who want to just replace the stockers. (likely dealing with the same issue as you - no tires around).

~SB

Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Spec, that is exactly what I had to do. With an all highway commute there was no way I was going to keep the spare on for a month. We figured that we just got into such an expense that what's another $500 for a good set of tires at a common size. The only other tires i could find available in the size were turanzas and I really didn't want to mismatch. It's just kind of a bummer to put four new tires on a two week old car with 400 miles on it. That being said I have three of them, 400 miles, any offers?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned
I put 4 new tires on mine with 7000 miles and I'm taking them right off of my new one as soon as I can get some new tires put on. I think I had about 10 punctures from tiny things. Like a staple and a thorn from a tree branch. THey were barely holding air long enough to get to the tire store when I got rid of them.

Another reason Honda makes odd sized tires is the way they do their contracts with the tire manufacturers. They want to have an exclusive deal to use their tires only. ON the Honda Oddessy you have to replace the rims to use a tire other than the Honda spec OEM tire. Kind of a racket if you ask me.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
I had to replace one of the Bridgestones when I punctured the sidewall with a nail. When I replaced all four tires, last fall, I kept that replaced tire (still good tread) as a spare in case I can't get another OEM tire when I need it. Having a spare is cheap insurance that I will never need it.

But, yeah, the tire situation sucks.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
To the OP? You don't have to be sorry or appologize for coming to this realization and being frustrated, you are not alone.

I love my Honda Fit, but it's not perfect and neither is Honda. It is frustrating that they chose a tire size with so limited an amount of options. I've only been able to dig up 3 options in this size, that includes the stock.

My greatest hope is that with time, more manufacturers will offer more options. Otherwise, I think I'll be looking at what the best upsizing alternative is...

The Dunlops are utilitarian at best, simply poor at worst. I'd like the option to upgrade when the time comes.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I have to agree, these dunlops would not be my chioce for a tire at all.

How long do they usually last?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:38 PM
I did make the switch to 205/50/16, I got a good deal on a set of Nexen CP641s at Town Fair. They seem much more durable and the tread looks like it's should hold up better for the New England weather.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RW24
Hey everyone sorry that my first post is a complaint, but Dunlop/Honda really dropped the ball with these 185/55/16 tires that came stock on my 2011 sport...(end rant)
Yeah, when I ordered my Fit I was hoping beyond hope I would get one with Bridgestones, and I did! I know, the Bridgestones aren't an incredible amount better than the Dunlops, but in my opinion, they're definitely better -- and from what I understand they're easier to find.

I've had good Dunlops in the past, as far as their "Performance" grade tires. I haven't been all that crazy about their "All-Season" grade. Bridgestone and Conti seem to make good-to-great All-Seasons.

At any rate, it would appear Honda put the cheapest tires they could find on the Fit... regardless of brand chosen.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Schoat333
I have to agree, these dunlops would not be my chioce for a tire at all.

How long do they usually last?
Not a first choice tire, but I've come to respect them.
It's part of what gives the Fit it's economy.

As far as wear, @ 20Kmiles I still have 7/32 tread.

No way would I replace them, but will try to match the rolling radius when the time comes with a better wear grade.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by RW24
Hey everyone sorry that my first post is a complaint, but Dunlop/Honda really dropped the ball with these 185/55/16 tires that came stock on my 2011 sport. My girlfriend drove it to work last week and blew a tire on a pothole (didn't get the road hazard coverage) so I ended up calling about 20 places including 5 dealers who did not have these tires. I guess these are on back order for at least a month. I don't know who to be angrier at Dunlop for having these tires on back order or Honda for putting such a hard to find size stock on these cars.(end rant)

one word for Dunlop's....(SUCK).
I bought new tires (Yokohama's) at a 205-50-16 size. 100x better then the stocks. My Dunlops only lasted 20K miles btw. They wear way too easy.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
I think it's tough to just make statements of suck or good. So much depends on the individuals efforts to maintain them, and your roads too. I wiped out one dunny early on in a hellacious mother of a pothole- gave it a knot the size of an orange but didn't pop it. But, the tires were readily available at tire rack at the time. I have no idea if my dealer even has stock on them at the moment. But I don't like them being in short supply at all. That to me makes the duns suck, more than the tire themselves. Hope to shit I don't spring a leak now.

Dan

Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I went through 2 sets of turanzas in 60k miles. I replaced the 2nd set with conti dws all seasons, 205/50 R16. Great tire, but my mpg dropped about 10%.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Anybody considered a 195/50 for replacements instead of 205/50? Maybe a little cheaper and better gas mileage, too? Still wider than than stock and just a little bit shorter.

Mine only have 12K miles and seem to be just fine so far, but just thinking ahead......

Old 04-02-2011, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geomarathoner
Anybody considered a 195/50 for replacements instead of 205/50? Maybe a little cheaper and better gas mileage, too? Still wider than than stock and just a little bit shorter.

Mine only have 12K miles and seem to be just fine so far, but just thinking ahead......
Its an option but I wouldn't go shorter until after the warranty is up. going with a shorter tire (unless you have the speedo recalibrated) will mean your warranty will be up sooner.

~SB