2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, PLEASE! Defrost Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
HELP! Disable Auto A/C on Defrost Mod

Ok, so I've even taken my radio out as well as taken off the little panel below the HVAC knobs, wedged my neck and head under there, looked up into that last slot (closest to the steering wheel) and that little plug/connector is nowhere to be found. All I have up inside of that last slot (or first slot, depending on your viewpoint) is a smooth, rounded, hard metal frame.

Has anyone with a 2010 or 2011 GE done the "Disable Auto A/C on Defrost Mod" yet? Because, I'm starting to think maybe Honda changed the design after the 2009 GE's, and that piece (plug) is no longer there... possibly completely wired now!

I've even looked down from all angles (from above) after taking out the stereo console and that plug pictured in the mod thread is absolutely nowhere to be found in my 2010 GE.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...c-defrost.html

A/C Defrost Disable Modification For the Honda Fit

If someone can help on this issue, now would be a great time... I have my dash half apart, and don't wish to go through this again anytime soon. Actually, the pseudo-dash disassembly isn't so bad... it's finding the time it takes in order to get it done I have problems with.

Again, if someone could enlighten me I would be forever indebted to you.

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Last edited by annunC8; 04-15-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:35 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
Yes, I did mine. Here are some pictures.

The wire you disconnect is behind the knob in pic 1.
Name:  DSC01525.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  39.9 KB

If you look from under the dash, the connector with red/white wire is what you should be looking for in pic 2. Please note the pics were taken after a few things were pulled apart, the positioning are not exact
Name:  DSC01527.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  28.2 KB

Disconnect the connector with the red and white wire in pic 3, and secure it so it won't touch anything.
Name:  DSC01530.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  24.9 KB

After doing it, I wonder it can be done without taking apart the dash since it is just on the bottom of the dash. Too late for me now.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ohw; 12-08-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: to correct wording to be more acurate
Old 04-15-2011, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ohw
Yes, I did mine. Here are some pictures.

The wire you disconnect is behind the knob in pic 1.
Yup! And behind that knob is where I've been looking... from the lower access panel above the center console, the aux and power plugs, and also from above -- after removing the audio unit completely.

Originally Posted by ohw
If you look from under the dash, this is what you should see in pic 2
WoW! Where are you under the dash in order to get that view? Because I'm squeezing my head and twisting my neck around in every direction looking up through that access panel and again, there's no way I'm getting that detailed of a view of the back of that knob. Mine doesn't even hang down in front of that access opening as your image seems to indicate. Weird

Originally Posted by ohw
Disconnect the connector with the red and white wire in pic 3, and secure it so it won't touch anything.
Are you kidding me? Seriously, if there is something that looks even remotely like that connector/plug under there, I'm not seeing it after probably a hundred attempts now.

When did you purchase your 2010 Fit? I got mine not quite a year ago. Maybe mine is different because it was assembled in a different plant? Like I said, maybe they "hardwired" mine? I see a red and white wire going out of/into the rear of that knob, but it looks as if it's running in and out of the actual rear of the dial itself. I see no connector like the one you're showing me.

Also, I was under the impression Roger'sFit (the guy who originally posted the mod) completely removed his plug, or at least it appeared that way in his DIY. But at this point it's 45 strikes and I'm out... so what do I know?

Originally Posted by ohw
After doing it, I wonder it can be done without taking apart the dash since it is just on the bottom of the dash. Too late for me now.

Hope that helps.
I think Roger'sFit said he tried to get his back on accessing it through that lower access panel only, and he couldn't get it back on. So maybe that entire center dash section will have to be removed as well as the audio unit.

And yes, your posts helps a lot. Now I just have to figure out how you're getting that clear of a view of the back of that rotary dial.

If you have any other suggestions, I'll take 'em!

Otherwise, thanks again for the rapid response!

Last edited by annunC8; 04-15-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, one more thing, ohw... have you checked your mod by starting your car, idling, turning the knob to defrost, and listening for the A/C cycling?

Thanks again.

Last edited by annunC8; 04-15-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
* update *

Ok, I got it... finally!

I still have no clue as to how you got such clear and precise images of behind that knob and that connector. The photos of that connector on Roger'sFit's site look nothing like your photos,

All I can say is, "You are seriously da' man, ohw!"

The back of your dial and connector appear to be extremely accessible. Mine is waaaaaayyyyyyy above that access panel and behind the dash. All I could see was a hint of the red and white wire at the bottom and to the left of the opening. So I reached my fingers up in there (somehow) and felt my way up from the wires and could feel the connector. I grabbed a pair of needle-nose, pulled, and out came the connector which, I could finally see after all of that. Luckily I pulled the proper connector out.

I started her up, turned on the fan, dialed to defrost, and no more A/C cycling on and off. YES! Now I can cop that occasional defrost breeze without worrying about money flying out of the window needlessly.

Thanks again, ohw... your pics did the trick. They did nothing for that mega-kink I now have in my neck though!

Last edited by annunC8; 04-15-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
You are welcome, glad you got it done. Don't think the location is that different, just that I took the pictures after I ripped the dash 1/2 apart. I think I also had the air controls detached before I found it. Thinking to myself that somebody is going to have the same issue, so I grabed the camera before I put everything back together.

Now that you did it once and know what to look for, you may be able to do the next one without taking the dash apart. For others who want to attempt this, a mirror or a trick fiber-optic camera would help greatly.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ohw
You are welcome, glad you got it done. Don't think the location is that different, just that I took the pictures after I ripped the dash 1/2 apart. I think I also had the air controls detached before I found it. Thinking to myself that somebody is going to have the same issue, so I grabed the camera before I put everything back together.

Now that you did it once and know what to look for, you may be able to do the next one without taking the dash apart. For others who want to attempt this, a mirror or a trick fiber-optic camera would help greatly.
Just did this mod on my 2010 sport. Independent control of defrost and AC is a good thing IMO. It was so annoying hear/feel the AC compressor cycling when defrosting and it was 0 deg-F and outside air was as dry as a bone.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
meh, i would just leave it. too annoying to turn on a/c each time you have more than yourself in the car. the windows fog up real quick in the winter. your a/c will last longer too if you continue to use it and cycle it.