2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

potential Fit buyer: hand controls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Question potential Fit buyer: hand controls?

Hi, potential Fit purchaser here. Found your forum yesterday and really like it. I've had a few achilles surgeries and will be needing push/rock hand controls - I've just been trained on them (eek!). Does anyone have experience with them on a Fit? I haven't driven in 2 years thanks to these surgeries, and I'd like to someday drive with my feet again, although my little feet barely reach the accelerator because the pedal is so high and I'm 5'2.

I'm also looking at the Fiesta, but the Fit trumps it in terms of cargo room for all my amps and band junk. I'm concerned about the Fit being so small (I come from a dead 1991 Buick Regal), though I've ridden for hours in a friend's 1st gen and it seems to get up to highway speed without a problem (albeit noisily). 4-cylinder engines sound a bit strange to me after that Buick behemoth. The Fit would mostly be used for putting around the suburbs and downtown and so on.

Any advice? Thank you thank you thank you. Perhaps a vortex blue Fit will be in my driveway by next week...!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM
I can't comment on the hand controls, but bless you for your efforts and good luck with that! I did come off 9yrs of driving Caddies and really had no issue with my FIT. I can fit way more in it than either of the landsharks and, believe it or not, I'm feeling more comfortable than in my DeVille. Certainly every time I fill 'er up.

You're gonna love the Fit.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
I worry some about highway drifting because hand controls require that I steer with my right hand only (I've heard that the steering is super responsive) ... and high speed driving scares me to begin with since I haven't done it in so long...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
the Fit's steering is pretty sensitive and it's not variable ratio so even centered a small adjustment to the wheel equals a change in direction. The steering wheel layout precludes resting one hand at the bottom. One hand at 2 or 4 works but you can't let your attention stray. Perhaps with the optional center console (or armrest on the Sport) it might be easier.

I think the Fit's a great car but I think there are more "one hand driving friendly" cars out there.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
The car will be outfitted with a spinner knob between 2 and 5 to keep the wheel stable and make turning easier. Manufacturers reimburse up to $1k for the cost of the $1200 hand controls if you buy new, and the Fit is just about the only thing in my price range with decent guitar-amp hauling capacity. It's just such a gamble to buy a car you can't even drive!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:32 PM
I think whomever does the adaptation might be able to tune the steering response appropriately to your needs.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
If it helps...since I have a bad back, I use the cruise all the time (unless it's slippery). I find I can control the speed very well without using brakes most of the time by looking ahead and letting off the cruise in advance (of course, I have a stick, so it tends to slow down quicker). Downshifting an auto will slow you down too, of course.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
one way you might be able to try it out is to see if a friend can drive on a quiet road for you while you reach over and steer. Granted it wouldn't be with your right hand but you might get the feeling of responsiveness. Even a half mile should show you how the car will respond.

Do you have the option (like with Cruise control) to have two hands on the wheel? The fit, like many small cars, is subjective to wind and although it's not bad, it is something to consider. Then again, you will likely find this in any vehicle that will haul your band equipment so it's something to keep in mind on any vehicle.

Best of luck in your search and let us know either way.

~SB