2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2011 brand new Honda Jazz (Fit) engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Unhappy 2011 brand new Honda Jazz (Fit) engine noise and vibration

Hey there,

I just bought a brand new 2011 Honda Fit (Jazz as its called here) but i didnt imagine the jazz engine sound like this..
Here is the link for it : YouTube - ‪VIDEO0004.3gp‬‏

Well first of all im trying to find an answer for this situation like about a week now mostly checking the old topics on fit freak, but i came up with nothing only its kinda normal and doesnt give harm.

Am i right?

Also i gone to my service at 2nd day i bought the car, as i thought and as you guys also can imagine it they say 'its normal injector noise'
Also i checked 2 more Fits there and they have kinda same noise too! So i accepted it..

Any opinions on this situation? Should i change my petrol station or maybe the oil at 1000km service time?
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by kutukutu; 08-17-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kutukutu
Hey there,

I just bought a brand new 2011 Honda Fit (Jazz as its called here) but i didnt imagine the jazz engine sound like this..
Here is the link for it : YouTube - ‪VIDEO0004.3gp‬‏

Well first of all im trying to find an answer for this situation like about a week now mostly checking the old topics on fit freak, but i came up with nothing only its kinda normal and doesnt give harm.

Am i right?

Also i gone to my service at 2nd day i bought the car, as i thought and as you guys also can imagine it they say 'its normal injector noise'
Also i checked 2 more Fits there and they have kinda same noise too! So i accepted it..

Any opinions on this situation? Should i change my petrol station or maybe the oil at 1000km service time?
Thanks for reading.
The valve-train on our Fits is noisier than many of us like. It's a fairly common complaint. It might be because of the plastic valve cover. If it sounded the same as other Jazzes to you then yes, I think it is OK.

Here in the US, Honda does not recommend changing the factory oil before the first scheduled change according to the car's electronic maintenance-minder. In some of our cars this is 16,000KM (10,000miles) before the first change. Apparently there are additives in the factory fill to aid break-in. I'd go by whatever your owner's manual says. There may be different standards where you live.

Drive it easy for the first few thousand KM and enjoy it. It's a good car.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
it sounds normal. the above video is what mine sounds like for reference. the mic is mounted in between the airbox and throttle body. the rest of the noise is just wind.

Last edited by neil patrick harris; 07-11-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Hmm thanks alot for the comments.
So i just gonna accept the noise and drive it as its normal.

Any other opinions on this situation?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Hmm thanks alot for the comments.
So i just gonna accept the noise and drive it as its normal.
Any other opinions on this situation?
Normal...

Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Well my Fit (Jazz) came to 1200 km. I kinda accept the engine sound that i mentioned in this thread before (still i have some concerns about it but doh..) but now some other thing is confuse my mind;

-The idle RPM of my car seems to be at 600 or so cause the pointer in the gauge is a tad over the 500 RPM notch.
So when the car is at idle i can feel a bit of vibration. Is this thing cause of low idle RPM ? Or is it normal?

-Another question is should i change the stock filter with K&N inbox filter for better performance?

Hope to get some answers, thanks for reading

Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Mine does the Idle thing that yours does. sometimes feels a little rough and like the idle is a little low.

as for the K&N, from what I understand the computer over time will counteract the power benefits that the K&N will provide in order to maintain a high level of fuel economy.

~SB

Old 08-13-2011, 03:07 AM
I've never had a vibration at idle. that usually signals worn motor or transmission mounts but that can't be it since you barely have any kms on your car. I'm not sure where my car idles (I'll have to check) but it's never been lumpy.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 PM
To reduce my FIT' engine noise... I tried to keep the rev low with gentle acceleration, stepping on the foot pedal just like stepping on egg shells.

One thing I noticed when I upgraded from 2001 Accord to 2010 FIT was the FIT only required a very light touch on gas pedal as it is a drive-by-wire set-up, unlike my old Accord that needed a lead foot to achieve the same effect.

When I first drove my FIT, my lead foot tend to rev up the engine unnecessarily increase noise and using more gas

Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks alot for the answers guys,

So as for the K&N inbox filter.. Should i get it or not? Any other opinions on this?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Another thing is the when i opened up the hood i can see clearly that the engine vibrates at idle. Is this normal ? Like its shaking.
(I will put up a video on this later too.)

Is this thing normal or not?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Skip the K&N (IMO). There are threads here about excessive oiling causing problems. The Honda filters only need to be changed every 50,000KM depending on local conditions. Unpaved roads/dusty conditions will require more frequent changes. Resist the temptation for too early changes. A soiled filter actually does a better job at filtering and will not reduce fuel efficiency (but may reduce power a touch).

On vibration, I'd pull in to your friendly Honda service bay and ask those folks. Mine vibrates slightly with all accessories turned off (it increases RPM when, say, the headlights are turned on, and the vibration goes away). It idles slower than most 4cyl engines so some vibration is normal.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:28 PM
yes, the honda fit is commonly known for that. It is normal amongst many of the honda fit drivers. But, take advantage of your services provided by Honda because you are paying for it.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I saw those threads on K&N oil affecting the MAF sensor but i guess -also alot of peaople thinks this way- the oil leak to sensor and so is mostly after the cleaning process of the filter?

As for the engine vibration, i really dont want to go service cause they are always saying the same thing 'NORMAL' on most of the issues... This really annoys me..

I will post up a video in a few on this.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
I saw those threads on K&N oil affecting the MAF sensor but i guess -also alot of peaople thinks this way- the oil leak to sensor and so is mostly after the cleaning process of the filter?
Yes, the cleaning process involves re-oiling the filter element. Too much oil is a problem. I think the way it comes new is OK. I don't think there is an advantage to using one.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:05 PM
FWIW, I have barely noticeable vibration at idle, and my engine does not noticeably shake. Maybe you should have your dealer take a look.

The valvetrain is noisy however.