2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ZXRider
I hope some people who had the Dunlops post about their experience with them.
The stock dunlops on the base fit suck. Some of the worst tires I've ever driven on. Most of the hondas I have owned came with crappy tires. Planty of threads about the terrible stock tires so you're not alone there.

The stock tires are made for one thing only and that's to get every mpg they can out of the car for govenment ratings. They are thin, hard and have very little tread to start with. They do roll nice though and you will feel that when you switch tires.

The "get what you pay for" comments in this thread are total BS as well. OEM honda tires are some of the most expensive tires you can get and they are terrible. The tire companys make huge money off of their oddball sizing but with the internet people wise up quickly.

The base fit tires are the worst. The Sport fit dunlops are marginally better but some of the sport fits cam with bridgestone tires. Sounds like those are actually pretty decent.

I never buy tires because they are long lasting because I drive such low miles that my tires will dry out and crack before they wear out. However my first set of base fit dunlops were significantly worn with on ly 7k miles.

My second base fit just turned 1700 miles today and I've had different tires on it for several weeks. I did keep the stock tires from it though and may sell/give them away if somebody wants to come get them.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by ZXRider
Well the two posts above talks about the OEM Bridgestones, what about the OEM Dunlops? Did the Dunlops come on the base Fit and the Bridgestones come on the Sport? I hope some people who had the Dunlops post about their experience with them.
Here's a third post for the stock Bridgestone Turanza's. Just replaced them after 47K miles. Two in the rear are toast, down to wearbars but the front two still have another 5K miles left on them. Changed to 205/50-16 so replaced all four at the same time.

I would have considered the same tire but too expensive. Best price I could find was $125 each at Tire Rack. I got Ultra High Performance V rated Hankook's instead for $70 each in 205/50 size.

_

Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I am having a horrible time trying to find replacement tires around here. They all want to sell me more Dunlops which I do not want. I have tried to find Yokohomas but they tell me they don't have them. I really don't want another set of Dunlops because they are just terrible noisy tires. I
may end up ordering from Tire Rack.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
The Michelin Energy E3As seem to get good reviews and are priced not too far off of the OEM tires.

If you are really on a budget, the Falken Ziex ZE-912s have gotten decent reviews (and online on America's Tire Co., its reviews are better than the OEM tire's reviews) and are less expensive too by more than $20 per tire).

Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Well I got the Sumitomos installed this Sunday, and with the 75 miles I have already put on them I can say they are FAR better tires than the Dunlops that came with the car.

I have been taking it easy on them since TireRack recommends taking it easy on the tires for the first 500 miles, but just driving normally they are extremely quiet and the ride is more comfortable. Also, since the tires are a bit wider, the car doesn't feel as wobbly as when the Dunlops were on the car.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
the longest tire set i have had was falkens (idk the model) but the harder rubber compound = harder ride

Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Cat
I am having a horrible time trying to find replacement tires around here. They all want to sell me more Dunlops which I do not want. I have tried to find Yokohomas but they tell me they don't have them. I really don't want another set of Dunlops because they are just terrible noisy tires. I
may end up ordering from Tire Rack.

u should be able to find a good set (not original size) but its not too necessary

Old 09-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Tires: 175/65/r15

I have had dunlop OE tires, Michelin Energy, and Bridgestone Ecotopia sp422's. The OE dunlop tires were like erasers, 20K and gone. The Michelin Energy tires lasted but cupped, and belts inside the tire went bad. The Bridgestone Ecotopias were replaced with new ones yesterday. The went about 60,000 miles and some were below 4/32 of an inch at 3/32 of an inch. These tires stayed smooth and gave great fuel milage. These probably would have stayed smooth until the belts wore through. I really got my money out of the last set, and hope this set provide the same results. Good luck with tire hunting. Tim