2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Tire Recommendation

I have been extremely unhappy with the OE Dunlop SP31 A/S 175/65/15 tires. Even I rotated them every 7k miles at approximately 15k miles one of the tires ended up significantly more worn than the others and could not hold air pressure anymore. I ended up having that tire replaced with another Dunlop SP31 since I did not want to replace all 4 at that time. I tried to talk with Dunlop to see if there was some sort of warranty program but with the run around I got I gave up.

Now the mileage is at 21k miles and the other remaining three are almost bald and require replacement. I am hoping to find some better tires that will last longer than the Dunlops.

While searching I noticed that the stock size is a bit awkward and there are not many choices. I would not mind altering the width and sidewall to have more tire options, I am willing to sacrifice some gas mileage to go with 185/60/15 tires.

Please share me some tire recommendation and sizing so I can get rid of these Dunlops. Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
I'm looking at these michelins to replace mine when the time comes. These just started appearing (think they're imports).

Michelin Energy E3A

Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
195/60R15 is closer to the original overall diameter and there are a lot of choices in that size.

Check out the tirerack site for customer ratings.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned
I've put yokohama avid envigors on my last 2 base fits. Nice smooth-riding, decent handling tire. On my last Fit I got 195/60/15 which is almost an exact match for the stock size (about .2 of an inch taller). On my current Fit I went with 195/55/15 to have a slightly shorter tire.

185/60/15 looks like a good choice too. Lots of tires to choose from and those are only slightly shorter than the stock tires. That would be a good size for the stock steel wheels as well.

You can't go wrong with new tires because the stock ones are about as bad of a tire as you can get.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
I opted for a set Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1 on the basis of their excellent noise rating at Consumer Reports. They are definitely quieter than the stock Bridgestones, and are much better in the rain. However, I find that the Fit has a slight understeer-then-oversteer tendency to it, and that these tires somewhat exaggerate this effect. As well, the car gets blown around a bit more in crosswinds on the highway now. It might be that these characteristics are due simply to the deeper tread that the new tires have (my Bridgestones were right down to the wearbars) but it might be that it’s due to tire design as well. I don’t know. I bought them in 205/50/R16 size, as these don’t affect the speedometer reading on my ‘09 Sport. Let us know what you decide on, and what the results are.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
watever you decide on, dont go cheap on tires. everything rides on them including your life and your passengers...and others on the road.

ive not done much reseach on the stock 16's size as the original dunlops have a lot of tread left at 23K miles. note that in the winter i use snow tires so i think these tires have about 17k miles on them. it can easily go another 10K. WOW...

Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
P.S.: The winter being so far from my mind right now, I forgot to mention that I didn’t find the Sumitomos to be very good in the snow. A couple of weeks after I had them installed I got caught in that huge post-Christmas snowstorm we had in the northeast. I was on an interstate coming into NYC and could barely climb a grade that other cars were climbing with apparent ease (although some cars had become stuck completely in the middle of the highway). In all my years of driving front-wheel-drive Hondas (going back to my father’s ‘78 Accord) I’ve never felt anything like that loss of forward traction–it took all my skill to get the car up the hill.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the advice and input everyone. I appriciate the help.

I live in southern California and I do not travel to anywhere with snow so I do not have to worry about tires that get used in snow. For the people that are running the 195/60/15 tire sizes, any rubbing issues with the fender or fender liners?

I don't intend to go cheap on tires, but I am on budget so I cannot go and purchase the most expensive tires.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
TireRack.com is a good resource to start your research. And yes, don't be too cheap because cheap is what you'll get. But you don't have to go broke either. When you get to the mid-price range, the quality pretty much averages out and it boils down to your preferential priorities, driving habits, your driving environment, and what your "comfort zone" is worth to you. Investing in some research time and keeping an eye for "Sunday/holiday" specials would also help in making a "good buy" and a wise decision. Just my opinion.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ZXRider
Thanks for the advice and input everyone. I appriciate the help.

I live in southern California and I do not travel to anywhere with snow so I do not have to worry about tires that get used in snow. For the people that are running the 195/60/15 tire sizes, any rubbing issues with the fender or fender liners?

I don't intend to go cheap on tires, but I am on budget so I cannot go and purchase the most expensive tires.
195/60R15 size won't rub. Again, as mentioned, they are almost exactly the same overall diameter as OEM.

I've been looking at these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

My priorities are: High durability and smooth quiet ride.

Last edited by Virtual; 07-26-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I'd actually recommend the O.E. Bridgestone Turanza EL470. My first set of Turanzas lasted me approximately 45k miles of mixed city/highway driving. If you're a Costco member, I'd buy your tires there. Although Costco has to special order anything in the 185/5516 size, they offer a $70 off coupon when you buy four tires at once (they alternate between Bridgestone and Michelin every month). Even with the absurdly high 9.5% sales tax where I live, I got out the door for just under $500 (the same tires are $508 on tirerack.com without installation).

EDIT: I read your original post more carefully and noticed you stock tire size is 175/65R15 not 185/5516. If you're looking to take advantage of the above mentioned Costco coupon, look for the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 or Michelin Energy E3A.

Last edited by Amp300; 07-26-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Falken Ziex ZE-912. I can get you a set installed for $300 out the door. PM me if you're interested.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone, I ended making my purchase through TireRack since they had a closeout price on the Sumitomo HTR 200 in 195/60/15. Great tires for $59 each.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting choice. Tell us what you think of them when you get them.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Do the stock tires typically have that short of a lifespan? 21k for Honda Fit tires is crazy. I don't own a fit, but I managed to get over 25k out of my OEM Yokohama Advans on my Evo before changing them but still with enough meat on them for me to sell them on the forums.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm at 30K with about 4/32s remaining (avg) on the 15" stock Dunlops. Fronts wear faster and I've haven't rotated them frequently enough so I may be looking for new tires around 35K, otherwise it probably would've gone to 40K. I'm pretty easy on tires though.

I'm used to 60K plus on Michelins on other Hondas.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Do the stock tires typically have that short of a lifespan? 21k for Honda Fit tires is crazy. I don't own a fit, but I managed to get over 25k out of my OEM Yokohama Advans on my Evo before changing them but still with enough meat on them for me to sell them on the forums.
I really wouldn't know, but like I mentioned in the original post one of them wore out significantly faster than the others, to the point where I had to replace it. I rotated the tires every 7k miles also. I was not expecting them to wear out this fast, I read some reviews for that tire on TireRack and it looks like other people have problems with it also.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
My OEM Bridgestone Turanzas lasted for 50K miles and I even tracked with them. Drove on them until they corded. Gotta get your monies worth right?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
45k of spirited driving (brakes used only in absolute emergencies, and corners generally not regarded as absolute emergencies) took two of my stock Bridgestones down just to the wearbars. I rotated them only twice during this time, and so I probably could have stretched them out to 50k if I’d been more of a boy scout.

I’m in Newfoundland for the summer and we’re getting lots of rain. I just drove 1.5 hrs in a heavy downpour and my Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1s handled the water pooled on the highway like real champs. I drove the Bridgestones up here for two summers and any water pooled on the highway led to a white-knuckle ride. Those of you living where it doesn’t snow and who are looking for a quiet and inexpensive tire should keep the Sumitomos in mind (although see my posts above).

Old 07-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Well the two posts above talks about the OEM Bridgestones, what about the OEM Dunlops? Did the Dunlops come on the base Fit and the Bridgestones come on the Sport? I hope some people who had the Dunlops post about their experience with them.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation