2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

11' Fit Oversteer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 PM
at a turn by a local 7-11 i can always make my ge8 oversteer, but it happened on accident the first time

Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
The GE8's handling is pretty neutral. Lift-off oversteer only occurs when your close to the limit and lift off in a corner. It's completely controllable. Know the limit of your car, the tires, yourself, and you should be fine.

try this:
at about 25 mph quickly crank the steering wheel hard left or right and see how much of the turn you get. On all the ones I've driven the Fit continues almost straight ahead. With my Porsche or Miata they'll swing into the turn with the back end stepping out. That, folks, is Fit understeer compared to neutral. Drive easy enough and oversteer/understeer has no meaning. Nor does neutral.

And if you want real world understeer get up about ... never mind.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitisbamf
at a turn by a local 7-11 i can always make my ge8 oversteer, but it happened on accident the first time

Did you lift the throttle - even a little?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
try this:
at about 25 mph quickly crank the steering wheel hard left or right and see how much of the turn you get. On all the ones I've driven the Fit continues almost straight ahead. With my Porsche or Miata they'll swing into the turn with the back end stepping out. That, folks, is Fit understeer compared to neutral. Drive easy enough and oversteer/understeer has no meaning. Nor does neutral.

And if you want real world understeer get up about ... never mind.
You're comparing oversteer characteristics between a FWD and RWD? And and 25 MPH, of course the Fit wouldn't oversteer with and without the throttle.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Did you lift the throttle - even a little?

no u dont need to, i have had 240s and rx7s i kno how to drift but just a hard turn in can cause the fit to do it. now i can go thru that turn accel'ing, i can brake thru it, get speed ahead of time and roll thru in neutral and evertime i have to counter steer and accelerate out of the turn or it goes ass end first

Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
You're comparing oversteer characteristics between a FWD and RWD? And and 25 MPH, of course the Fit wouldn't oversteer with and without the throttle.

Any nose heavy vehicle will understeer regardless of FWD or RWD unless you drastically increase RSB but FWD will do it quicker thanks to making the front wheels steer and corner.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
I can! lol

took a while to retame the beast but when you learn how to use your disadvantages, you can turn them into advantages.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
I can! lol

took a while to retame the beast but when you learn how to use your disadvantages, you can turn them into advantages.
A dear friend of mine from my snot nosed kid days was a charter member of the Indianapolis 500 Old Timers Association... He had ridden 127 laps at as a
the 1933 race in a Duesenberg as a mechanic and was on the team of the last two front wheel drive cars to win at Indy...He pretty much said the same thing about the Blue Crown Spark Plug Specials when I was looking at pictures and his memorabilia on the wall of his garage while he was wrenching on his red 53 Mercury on a hot summer day 50 years ago. Check this out.A COLLECTION OF 28 INDIANAPOLIS 500 PIT PASS PINS 1941-1965 - $5,500.00 : RareCoinCollector.net - Worlds largest selection of NGC & PCGS certified international gold, platinum, silver & palladium coins and collectible currency. I wish I could justify spending the money for this stuff that I spent so much time admiring back then.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap
Had a 08' Sport till it was totaled. That thing handled like a dream. Very tight, responsive car. Now have the 11' Sport. Tracks dead straight, does not pull either way. On initial turn-in it is fine but then it goes into an oversteer condition. Seems to want to turn much more than I am asking of it... Both directions. All speeds above 30 MPH. Tire pressure good. The dealer just looked at it and said it is like any other new gen Fit. At least the last year or two. Anyone else have these comments on the steering? I will mess with the tire pressures a bit to see if I can dial out some of the over-steer.
I bought the fit because its front wheel drive. My last car was a Lexus SC300(rwd sports car). I missed oversteer! If a FWD drive doesn't oversteer, somethings wrong.

Release the gas as you enter the turn(smoothly!) then give the gas back at the apex of the turn. Do not brake after the beginning of the turn. Once you turn the steering wheel, brakes = oversteer/spinout. Brake in, throttle out.