2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Claybar

Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Claybar

I've read a lot about claybaring the paintwork, there's even some vids on Youtube. Has any fit owner tried it ? If so would you recomend it or is it all hype ? Do you have to use their liquid or will a soapy solution work with the clay just as well. What is detailing liquid ?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM
It's a great product and the videos on youtube show how easy it is. You can definitely use soapy water, or regular water as the lubricant. Just make sure the car is washed with a mit and thoroughly rinsed before you start the process.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
I have only used it once.. It removes stuff from the finish that you can't even see.. When you have used the clay bar you can feel that the finish is much smoother.. I washed my car a couple of times to get it as clean as I could before using the clay bar yet it picked up a lot of grime.. The detailing liquid is spray on liquid you use on your car between the times you wax it... It works as a lubricant with the clay bar and leaves a nice shine by it self or you can wax it after using the clay bar and liquid for a deeper shine and extra protection of the paint.. The liquid is much slicker than soapy water and the clay bar would be hard to move over the finish using soapy water.. My car needs to be done again but it's dangerously hot this time of the year so I'm waiting until it is cooler outside.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
It takes some time to do the entire car but it really does make the wax go on much easier and better. Really gives you that glass feeling. I have always just used the Meguiars clay bar kit. You can buy it at walmart and it comes with the detailer stuff to use as lubricant. Just be ready to take a while if you haven't ever done it before. I strongly suggest doing it in a garage or under a covered area to help with the heat as well.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive used several different brands and types. i think the mother's claybar is probably the easiest and safest to use for non-detailers and available off-the-shelf. if you buy their kit it comes with the detailer spray to use as lubricant.

meguiar's 'soft' clay marred my finished on my nissan's paint which resulted in more work polishing it all out. since im a detailer i have the tools and means to polish it out but it was more work for me.

i use mainly Griot's claybar now. www.griotsgarage.com it's very soft and gooey so make sure to use with disposable gloves.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have only used it once.. It removes stuff from the finish that you can't even see.. When you have used the clay bar you can feel that the finish is much smoother.. I washed my car a couple of times to get it as clean as I could before using the clay bar yet it picked up a lot of grime.. The detailing liquid is spray on liquid you use on your car between the times you wax it... It works as a lubricant with the clay bar and leaves a nice shine by it self or you can wax it after using the clay bar and liquid for a deeper shine and extra protection of the paint.. The liquid is much slicker than soapy water and the clay bar would be hard to move over the finish using soapy water.. My car needs to be done again but it's dangerously hot this time of the year so I'm waiting until it is cooler outside.
Acutally, water from the garden can be used and soapy water is far more a better lubricant than the detailer spay that comes in the kit. If using water from the hose, just keep spraying the panel you are claying.

Also, you will want to wax the car after claying it as it won't have much if any wax left.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
I was skeptical with all the hype too but after using it, I was impressed and highly recommend you try it.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM
It works very well. But it's all about the willingness. I used to do it when I first got the car, but now one year later, it's a hassle to even wash the car once a month.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neoprag
It works very well. But it's all about the willingness. I used to do it when I first got the car, but now one year later, it's a hassle to even wash the car once a month.
Mine has been washed really well maybe 3 times at the most, clay barred and waxed once and that is in 5 years... I paid $3.00 to have it washed by some drunks at a parking lot in Matamoros right after I got it 5 years ago.. They did a great job but I still can't figure out where they got the water from..

Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
My Fit gets claybar treatment in the spring and then again in the fall with the final x2 coats of wax. The product I like the best is Meguiars and it comes with 2 bars of clay, Instant detailer and a really nice microfiber towel. If you can rub your hand across your paint and it snags this means impurities in your paint. The first time you clay the car it will be like a mirror - slick as glass. Just remember to use lots of detailer never clay on a dry surface and always apply wax after you have clayed.

My car is a 2007 used everyday.

It is still shinning!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 PM
It's tedious work, but it well worth it. I generously use the quik detailer spray and fold the the clar bar a few times before starting a new section.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
My Taffy suffered rail rust after the first winter. Some large bits of rusty looking material. Anyhow Mother's did the trick. I do it every Spring now followed by wax.

The Fit is tiny and takes no time to do. I just finished doing my Grand Caravan. Now that is a job. More surface area in one fender than the whole Fit.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 AM
What grade / colour of clay bar

Thanks for all your info. A couple more queries. I understand that there are different grades ( and therefore different abrasiveness ) of clay bars. As my car is 2 years old but paintwork very shiny what grade should I use. Is the grade determined by the colour of the clay - I notice some are blue, others cream )

Has anyone come across a product called Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System. It uses a rubberized block instead of clay. It can be found at

Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System