2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What to do with my stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 PM
What to do with my stock wheels?

I've ordered some new 17s for my Fit Sport and the shop just called me today saying they're in so I'm getting them mounted on Monday. After that, I'm wondering what to do with my old OEM alloys. Never had this problem before because this is only the second car of mine that I've bothered changing the wheels (on my sportscar I put the expensive OEM Rays in storage).

I don't need an extra set of wheels since I'm in Arizona where it never snows (at least in my part lol). I live in a small city 200 miles from other big cities so I'm not sure there'd be a local buyer. If I put them up for sale online like eBay would the cost for shipping be outrageous - and for that matter how would you ship something as big as a set of four wheels? I'd be selling them with the original tires still on but no TPMS.

Also, how much would be a reasonable price for a set of OEM Sport Alloys in mint condition with the original tires having about 2500 miles on them?

Anyone think there'd be a any point to asking the local Honda dealer if they'd be interested in them?

Last edited by gsx-r35; 08-05-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
keep them just in case!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Keep them or sell them. GE wheels go for a nice penny. $500 can be done with new tires.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
seriously, everybody knows that you're supposed to hold on to them till i come thru your town and pick them up, i'm do to hit up arizona later this summer - duh! remember when i come thru you're supposed to buy me dinner too!
PM me your address and i'll see you soon

Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I just got my new Enkei RPF1 on my GE8, as far as my stock rims, I plan on spray painting them the same color as my car. In the near future I might enter my car as a show case.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 PM
I would keep em just incase.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
I keep my OEM wheels. It goes back on when I sell the car for better resale value.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by mulletboi86
I just got my new Enkei RPF1 on my GE8, as far as my stock rims, I plan on spray painting them the same color as my car. In the near future I might enter my car as a show case.

dont spray paint them just get the powdercoated.... cost a little more and best product

Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Post the pictures of your stock wheels on ebay/craigslist and test the response and find out the prices potential buyers are willing to offer you ?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
I would try selling them singly on ebay as full size spare tires. For that use the lack of TPMS won't be an issue, and shipping a single wheel/tire is less daunting too. Just list one as a Buy-It-Now auction at a price you'd be happy with as a test and if it doesn't sell you're just out a few dollars for the listing fee.

For packaging, I bought a wheel/tire off of ebay once and the seller just wrapped thick cardboard around it. So the package was shaped like a tire with a couple of layers of cardboard over it (plus a lot of tape).

Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
The big benefit of the OEM wheels is that they are 4 Lug and anyone who owns a CRX, Civic, Del Sol, Integra, or FIT could be a potential buyer. Try selling on Craigslist - that's where I got my Winter wheels (15" Integra LS Mesh wheels) - Plus, It's Free. If they are only going to just sit there, sell them now. you likely won't make up the difference on the aftermarket wheels when you sell/trade the vehicle unless you aren't going to keep it for more than a few years.

~SB

Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Lil Blue is from Arizona and he's looking for a set, FYI.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
keep them just in case!
I thought about that but I expect they're just gonna gather dust at this rate. I already have one set of stockers taking up space so having another set that I'm even less likely to need just seems like a waste.

Originally Posted by vtecfit1
seriously, everybody knows that you're supposed to hold on to them till i come thru your town and pick them up, i'm do to hit up arizona later this summer - duh! remember when i come thru you're supposed to buy me dinner too!
PM me your address and i'll see you soon
If you're serious about that then you're more than welcome to them if I fail to do anything by the time of your Arizona trip. Just PM me when you're headed down and we can work out the details

Originally Posted by specboy
The big benefit of the OEM wheels is that they are 4 Lug and anyone who owns a CRX, Civic, Del Sol, Integra, or FIT could be a potential buyer. Try selling on Craigslist - that's where I got my Winter wheels (15" Integra LS Mesh wheels) - Plus, It's Free. If they are only going to just sit there, sell them now. you likely won't make up the difference on the aftermarket wheels when you sell/trade the vehicle unless you aren't going to keep it for more than a few years.

~SB
I was thinking Craigslist too. Can't hurt to try so I figure I'll do that next time I get some free time.

Originally Posted by Neebs
Lil Blue is from Arizona and he's looking for a set, FYI.
Thanks for the tip. Do you know how I can find him on this forum? Let me see if the search feature let's me find that ID.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I sold mine on Ebay. They were bought by a Honda dealership of all things!!!!! They were just a month old and perfect.
You ship them as four separate packages. I packaged them the way that the Tire Rack packages theirs. Cut 2 round pieces of cardboard of a diameter to cover the whole wheel and tire assembly, place one on either side of the wheel/tire and tape or strap them in place. The finished package will show cardboard on two sides and the tire tread will show all the way around. Works great. Shipping will be approx $25-$30 per tire.
Much easier to sell the whole set than individual wheels.
Try it, they will bring a nice amount of cash.

Flea

Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Sold my stock Base 15" on craig's list for $100 in just a few days.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 PM
I would definitely keep them. I remember I flipped a set of Volks as the guy wanted to trade them for stock wheels since he traded in his car. I had some 16" steelies and threw him half of what he was asking and he took it as he was getting nothing for them on his trade in.

You should keep all the stock parts you take off so when it's time to get rid it, you can always put those parts back in.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by jayhawker
I would definitely keep them. I remember I flipped a set of Volks as the guy wanted to trade them for stock wheels since he traded in his car. I had some 16" steelies and threw him half of what he was asking and he took it as he was getting nothing for them on his trade in.

You should keep all the stock parts you take off so when it's time to get rid it, you can always put those parts back in.
I debated the merits of that and I probably would go that route if I had gotten more expensive wheels but the Enkeis I got are pretty cheap at 140 or so a wheel so if I do change cars later on they might not even be worth as much as a mint set of stock wheels right now.

I'm holding off on a decision until I get a day off again next week.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
remove the tires, stack them in two's with slip free rubber between each wheel, put a 42x26 sheet of tempered glass atop, and you'll have the best coffee table a FIT owner could ask for

Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
remove the tires, stack them in two's with slip free rubber between each wheel, put a 42x26 sheet of tempered glass atop, and you'll have the best coffee table a FIT owner could ask for
doesn't the stock 16's spokes stick out just a little past the lip of the rim? would hit the glass, no?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
powder coat

Originally Posted by gsx-r35
I've ordered some new 17s for my Fit Sport and the shop just called me today saying they're in so I'm getting them mounted on Monday. After that, I'm wondering what to do with my old OEM alloys. Never had this problem before because this is only the second car of mine that I've bothered changing the wheels (on my sportscar I put the expensive OEM Rays in storage).

I don't need an extra set of wheels since I'm in Arizona where it never snows (at least in my part lol). I live in a small city 200 miles from other big cities so I'm not sure there'd be a local buyer. If I put them up for sale online like eBay would the cost for shipping be outrageous - and for that matter how would you ship something as big as a set of four wheels? I'd be selling them with the original tires still on but no TPMS.

Also, how much would be a reasonable price for a set of OEM Sport Alloys in mint condition with the original tires having about 2500 miles on them?

Anyone think there'd be a any point to asking the local Honda dealer if they'd be interested in them?
Have them stripped and powder coated with a color that would look good to you for whatever color your car is. Mine is Taffeta White and I'd do them in a gold/bronze color.

Quick Reply: What to do with my stock wheels?