2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New 2011 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:20 PM
New 2011 Fit

Hello all,
Just picked up my 2011 Fit sport M/T in black on Wednesday. First tank of gas was 37.32mpg. Total miles on the car is 402.

Two questions:

Has anyone experienced the same valve train issue as the recalled 09-10 valve spring problem with a 2011? I've already noticed the same intermittent valve train noise.

Second,

During hwy driving at speeds of 55-75 I find the car drifting from side to side, as if it's being pushed by wind. It wasn't windy out, and most certainly not in both directions. If you ever drove a snowmobile with worn carbides on the skis, the skis tend to track with whatever ski route was in front of you. That's the effect I'm feeling.

I'll be bringing this up with service at the dealer tomorrow.

Otherwise, I really like the car.

Had an 91 Civic AWD wagon (bought new), loved that thing. And a 81 Accord before that.

Many other makes in-between.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by RA FAN

During hwy driving at speeds of 55-75 I find the car drifting from side to side, as if it's being pushed by wind. It wasn't windy out, and most certainly not in both directions. If you ever drove a snowmobile with worn carbides on the skis, the skis tend to track with whatever ski route was in front of you. That's the effect I'm feeling.
was the road worn/grooved by semis? I've found that feeling from time to time because the fit is narrower than those "ruts" in the road, so you can weirdly catch one or the other, but not both.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
was the road worn/grooved by semis? I've found that feeling from time to time because the fit is narrower than those "ruts" in the road, so you can weirdly catch one or the other, but not both.
True, I have found that happen with other cars as well. This was not the case, the drive to work should tell me more (I'll take a different route) as I look into this more.

Thanks for input. That Hwy I was on is concrete and does has some wear patterns. And I did try to stay out of those, with no resolve.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
In my research on this car (not an owner yet) I've seen others comment that the handling has improved as the tires wore in a bit. In any event, most people seem to hate the stock tires.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by beezle
In my research on this car (not an owner yet) I've seen others comment that the handling has improved as the tires wore in a bit. In any event, most people seem to hate the stock tires.
After my drive to work and back today, I was thinking the same. In the past I made the mistake of buying cheap tires and had issues with them. The goal of having the stock tire that come with the car is COST first, and a universal application for most of the buyers driving needs.

I my case, the drift or car tracking only appears at speeds above 55mph.

Funny thing is, years ago when I bought a new 91 Civic AWD it also had Dunlop tires as delivered. The things wore out after 25k, put on a set of BFG Touring TA's, and holy cow did that car come alive!

Thanks for the input.