2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HID's in, now CEL !!!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
HID's in, now CEL !!!

Hello,

Just put in some 6k H4 and H11's this weekend and didnt get to drive until today.

Checked the lights over the weekend without starting the engine. Worked fine after mild adjustments.

Today I notice a Check engine light and the car stutters over 3k rpms!

Went to autozone and here are the codes:

P0113- IAT sensor circuit high voltage
p0171-Fuel system too lean (probabale cause maf)
p0102-MAF sensor circuit low volatage

I called the people from whom I ordered the HID's and they are saying its not the HID's but its the only work I did on the car this weekend?

Should i disconnect the battery for a bit? not sure what to do here....

Old 09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
it can't be the HIDs. i'd do another check just in case you accidentally unplugged something. i knew you were having problems with your MAF before from the K&N filter. i think that would have more to do with it than HIDs. good luck!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I ended up replacing the ignition coils and MAF sensor though...I'm about to check the engine bay now...

the only thing I did was wire up the ballasts behind the vertical black box (ecu i think) on the drivers side, and to the left of the washer fluid reservoir.

I'll disconnect the ground to the battery for 10 mins to see if that helps since I didnt do it at the time of installation....

Old 09-19-2011, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
ok, noticed I left the MAF sensor unplugged from when I first saw the check engine light.

to backtrack:

I was driving away from home when I saw the CEL. I pulled over thought about the work I did and wanted to check my air filter. it was fine so I glanced at my new MAF, it looked good so I put it back together and started thinking about the HID install....

unfortunately I forgot to plug the sensor back.

I have disconnected the ground and checked all connections.Looking back at the three codes I am thinking the initial CEL I saw might be:

P0113 - IAT Sensor circuit high voltage

probable causes:

open or short circuit connection
poor electrical connection
faulty IAT sensor

Could any of these be the result of an HID conversion?

about to go put the grounds back on the battery and start her up...feel free to post any ideas or advice.

thanks in advance!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
open or short circuit connection
poor electrical connection
are you using a proper harness with your HID kit? if the ballasts are drawing power from the super thin wires from our stock H4 harness, that may be the culprit.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Called top speed (seller). They said I don't need a harness. CEL is gone after plugging maf back and disconnecting the ground for 10 then reconnecting.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Maybe its causing RF interference with the ECU or something bugging up sensors..

If it happens again, try disconnecting the ballasts for the HID and crank up the engine, if no problems, I guess move ballasts to another location..

Old 10-09-2011, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dragonxwas
Maybe its causing RF interference with the ECU or something bugging up sensors..

If it happens again, try disconnecting the ballasts for the HID and crank up the engine, if no problems, I guess move ballasts to another location..
Yeah, the ballast will throw out a pretty large EMI field... interfering with a LOT of electronics.

The HID kit I have, throws out enough to pretty much knock out my FM signals. They're both mounted around where the top bolt of the OE headlight would mount.