2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Got 2012 Fit Sport this week

Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Got 2012 Fit Sport this week

Yes, got my 2012 Fit Sport with automatic trans the other day.

The only thing about this car I was not expecting was the unlocked fuel filler door. I called my dealer today and the parts guy said they don't sell the lockable caps. He said I had to be careful as the cap itself is a part of the emissions protection thing with the car. The wrong cap could cause the check engine light to come on.

I want to get a lockable cap, but don't know what to do. That's where you guys come in. Please steer me in the right direction.

Is the fuel cap for 2012 the same as for 2011 or earlier?

Read something here about getting the same cap for the Element or a Toyota.

Last edited by FitsGood; 11-03-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy the car!

You're going to be looking for part# 17680-SAA-600

Old 11-03-2011, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think that would be necessary.

The filler tube is quite long and somewhat narrow. I would guess that a thief would need about ten feet or more of tubing assuming they'd be able to snake it down there.

And if they do, the best they'd get is about nine gallons, if they hit you right after you pumped gas.

Where as the SUV that is invariably nearby could hold much more AND be easier to steal from.

Another solution is a non-reacting coil that you can shove into the filler tube. It sit just inside the neck of the tube and makes it even harder to snake a siphoning tube in. This way, you don't have to deal with locking cap/key.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know.
I was a little irked when I discovered that Honda had not equipped The Fit with a lockable fuel filter door with a release inside the vehicle. It's an economy cut IMO.

However, once I got over the initial reaction? Well...I live in Oregon a state that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas. It must be an attendant. So the idea of getting a locking gas cap and having to hand keys to the attendant every time I get gas, and then hope they can manage to unlock the cap without losing the keys or damaging the cap, does NOT appeal to me. So I've been forced to live with the unlocking gas cap and fuel filter door. And to be honest? I haven't missed it.

As pointed out above? Worst case scenario someone would attempt to siphon a whole tank...which in The Fit? Wouldn't translate into much. So once I got over my paranoia about the possibilty of siphoning and/or vandalism? Now it doesn't bother me so much.

I suppose, if gas prices rise, and/or the risk actually becomes more substantial I could consider obtaining the locking cap but at this point? I've decided to try to trust humanity a little more...and enjoy the freedom of NOT having to unlock my cap....

Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Re the lockable fuel cap...

That is one of the first items I did to my 2011.

Order this...

Honda Locking Gas Filler Cap (Element, Fit) - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Then, if you want to have it keyed to your ignition key...

-do not assemble the locking cap
-take it to a locksmith and have them key it to your ignition key that
way you have 1 key for everything

Install and be happy.

I've had my lockable cap on for 6-months with no issues.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Is this really that big a problem in your neck of the woods? If my car were kept in an environment where stealing gas is a problem then I probably wouldn't buy a brand new car in the first place. Anyways, hope you find a solution.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paul56
Re the lockable fuel cap...

That is one of the first items I did to my 2011.

Order this...

Honda Locking Gas Filler Cap (Element, Fit) - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Then, if you want to have it keyed to your ignition key...

-do not assemble the locking cap
-take it to a locksmith and have them key it to your ignition key that
way you have 1 key for everything

Install and be happy.

I've had my lockable cap on for 6-months with no issues.
You can pump your own gas in Texas?
See the big problem for me is Oregon is one of the last states that doesn't allow self-serve.
Since on the Fit, if you don't get the cap back on properly it can throw a code...I don't really want to trust that every tired, overworked attendant is going to take the time to carefully unlock and replace my cap. I know from past automobiles that sometimes the unlocking of a gas cap can become a daunting challenge.

The only other option for me, is to own both. Keyed lock...but keep the unlocking cap, and try to remember to put it in place before going for gas...and then switch back and forth myself....

But that is a PIA idea as well.

I can live with this. BUT I do wish Honda would of just made the cover locking. I know it's their entry level vehicle, but a locking gas cover IMO is pretty basic.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
Is this really that big a problem in your neck of the woods? If my car were kept in an environment where stealing gas is a problem then I probably wouldn't buy a brand new car in the first place. Anyways, hope you find a solution.
I live in a high rise building with gated secure parking underground. That's not the problem. It's parking somewhere like a mall or other shopping area. Like going to the movie at night or the mall. I have a friend who lost 20 gallons out of his Buick and he said it probably happened at a shopping center. The thief parks next to your car and casually hooks up a pump or other device and sucks it out into a holding tank inside a van. They could get a hundred gallons or so one evening using two vehicles. One on the left and other on the right side of your car. If they had any sense --- which they probably don't -- they wouldn't mess with a small car that only has a few gallons.

It's not the gas loss so much as the realization that they would only get a few gallons and then sabotage my car in anger maybe. Who knows what goes through the feeble mind of a criminal.

Honda should have locked the filler door in the first place. They put a lot of nice features on the car that are found on more expensive drives (like my other car -- a Mercedes). A locking filler door with a release inside would not have cost hardly anything.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
You can pump your own gas in Texas?
I think it's only Oregon and New Jersey that prevents customers from pumping their own gas... and I found out first hand on my road trip.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Question

PICS

Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I think it's only Oregon and New Jersey that prevents customers from pumping their own gas... and I found out first hand on my road trip.
^ I hate this... but at least our gas in NJ is cheaper than NY.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
I'm torn...

When it's cold, it's actually nice that an attendant will pump your gas. Plus, it offers an employment opportunity for somebody.

But Oregon is consistently near the top of the National Gas Prices curve, and nobody can explain to me why.

We are a coastal state, with Ports..and yet our gas is always near the most expensive in the nation. Add to that, that I read we also have some of the most lenient or non-existent standards for gas quality. It's a pet peve of mine...

I love this state. Oregon is beautiful. But why our gas is so high in comparison to the rest of the nation is baffling. And an excuse that is often given is the "cost" of hiring attendants. I think that's primarily BS....these poor souls barely make minimum wage.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
When it's cold, it's actually nice that an attendant will pump your gas. Plus, it offers an employment opportunity for somebody.

But Oregon is consistently near the top of the National Gas Prices curve, and nobody can explain to me why.
Well they have to pay the attendants, right? That is an additional expense for the stations. Most stations usually only have one employee behind the register.

My parents lived in NJ when I used to live in Maryland--When visiting them I sometimes forgot about the gas thing and would begin the process of getting my own gas. I thought it was a nuisance to have to wait for an attendant.

In NJ gas is cheaper because of the refineries, same as in Wyoming, Texas and the other Gulf states.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Washington State also has refineries, but our gas prices are still among the highest in the nation, along with the rest of the West Coast.

U.S. Retail Gasoline Prices

In general the cost of living on the West Coast, including housing, is higher. It is the price for living in an area considered desirable.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
So far gas prices in Colorado are less than national average, plus it is a desirable place to live...shhh don't tell anyone.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
So far gas prices in Colorado are less than national average, plus it is a desirable place to live...shhh don't tell anyone.
Well hey...that's not fair! haha

Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by afreespirit
Well hey...that's not fair! haha
We had a big migration of people from the West Coast here in the early and mid-90's. They were able to sell their homes for top dollar and pay cash for homes here & live off the proceeds......I don't think that is possible any longer in today's economy.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
We had a big migration of people from the West Coast here in the early and mid-90's. They were able to sell their homes for top dollar and pay cash for homes here & live off the proceeds......I don't think that is possible any longer in today's economy.
The same thing happened here in WA and in OR during that time period... people from CA where property values were sky high would sell and move north to cheaper areas, driving up the housing prices...Californians became quite unpopular in some parts.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by afreespirit
The same thing happened here in WA and in OR during that time period... people from CA where property values were sky high would sell and move north to cheaper areas, driving up the housing prices...Californians became quite unpopular in some parts.
Yup they were from Cali. Used to see lots of bumper stickers saying "don't Californicate Colorado". It did raise housing prices and brought in lots of development.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Well they have to pay the attendants, right? That is an additional expense for the stations. Most stations usually only have one employee behind the register.

My parents lived in NJ when I used to live in Maryland--When visiting them I sometimes forgot about the gas thing and would begin the process of getting my own gas. I thought it was a nuisance to have to wait for an attendant.

In NJ gas is cheaper because of the refineries, same as in Wyoming, Texas and the other Gulf states.
Sure. The few times they have tried to repeal or change the gas attendant law in Oregon a "Pro-Change" arguement is always that it would concievably make prices lower...

But pardon my scepticism. I'm thinking the impact of the local stations having to hire someone to pump gas is probably pretty minimal to what they are charging per gallon.

It's actually just convience. I "personally" think in most cases, most times, I'd rather just pump it myself. Who do I trust? I trust Me! isn't that what Al Pacino said in Scar Face?

To me it comes down to not scratching the area around the fuel opening. It's NOT slamming it in there...it's deciding myself how much I want to top off...or not top off...

It's also me, replacing the fuel cap...carefully...also it's me picking the right octane and grade. I've had an occasional time or two over the years when the attendant will accidently put in regular when I wanted premium or vice versa....

So in general, yeah they'll tell you the labor cost of attendants impact price per gallon...but I'm highly sceptical. It's a cost that stations must absorb...but all stations nationwide have to hire people to be present and "run the station"...so I don't really factor it in as a primary reason Oregons gas prices are so high.