2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need help with horrible odor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Need help with horrible odor.

So last week I was driving up to orlando from miami, it rained the entire way up there, driving back it was the same, no windows were open and to my knowledge i dont have a leak. The next day in the morning on my way to work, when i open the car door i was welcomed by the stench of mildew. As if my car went for a swim. I really cant stress how ive aired the car out for several days and have not been successful in getting rid of the smell. I even removed the air filter for the ac and nothing.

Any input guys, im losing my mind and i cant stand this smell. The car is <1 year old.

I have a 2010 Fit Sport.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
In this order:
Switch air control lever to fresh intake.
Run fan on high - heat full.
Open windows a bit and take a good long drive.

Change the cabin air filter. The one inside, behind the glove box.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM

can you not track down where it's coming from? carpets? vents?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
strangely enough i cannot, i have driven around windows down ac on blast trying to vent it, nothing. As soon as I smell the carpet or the seats they smell good from the car wash place, lol. But anything else is like a kick to the nose with that stench.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
In this order:
Switch air control lever to fresh intake.
Run fan on high - heat full.
Open windows a bit and take a good long drive.

Change the cabin air filter. The one inside, behind the glove box.
Do not run AC. You need to run all the moisture out of the air ducts and heater box with fresh hot air.

Most important is the cabin filter. I would pull it. 10:1 says it's in nasty condition. Most likely a source of the stink. Replace it when you next can, all is good without it in their, in your case - possibly better.

Good Luck

Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Do not run AC. You need to run all the moisture out of the air ducts and heater box with fresh hot air.

Most important is the cabin filter. I would pull it. 10:1 says it's in nasty condition. Most likely a source of the stink. Replace it when you next can, all is good without it in their, in your case - possibly better.

Good Luck
agreed, i pulled it last night, it was black, but not smelly, im riding around without ac filter today since i just ordered my filter online...

no way im paying 40$ at the dealer for a 8$ filter.

Still this morning the stench is there, so i believe it is not the source of the smell.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
A few days in the hot sun, windows cracked - is it still hot in Miami? - will help.

There really isn't too many other places for the smell to be.
You might want to look/check/feel up along the firewall centered under the dash.

Unlikely, but condense build-up might have dripped down on the carpet there.

CRANK the heat, switch the vents around.

Resist spraying anything in the system- it can/will haunt you.

Things should clear out.

Always drive with the air select on "Fresh". Bad things can happen if you don't.
I could tell you stories but you get the idea, phew!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
A few days in the hot sun, windows cracked - is it still hot in Miami? - will help.

There really isn't too many other places for the smell to be.
You might want to look/check/feel up along the firewall centered under the dash.

Unlikely, but condense build-up might have dripped down on the carpet there.

CRANK the heat, switch the vents around.

Resist spraying anything in the system- it can/will haunt you.

Things should clear out.

Always drive with the air select on "Fresh". Bad things can happen if you don't.
I could tell you stories but you get the idea, phew!
by always select fresh you mean to have the air from the outside come in freely? instead of having the air cycle only inside.

or do you mean, fresh air as in no odor from outdoors can come in. Sorry if this sounds stupid, im losing my mind on the matter.

On a side note, i want to post pics of my fit up, lol and i need coilovers!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Unreal Welcome to the freakworld - post those pics, enjoy the show!
---------------------------------
FRESH as in having the air come in from the outside - NOT recycle inside air.

Saw a Saturn once with soaked carpets.
First time car owner who took the car though a NorthEast winter and half the spring with the selector on recirculate.
Moisture build-up never had a chance to be relieved and the front carpets needed to be replaced.

So there I told you the story...

Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like your carpet got wet from all this rain, u might have to shampoo the carpet & air it out.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
You need to find the source.

You say, that even though you drove it in the rain you witness or beleive you have no leak? Nothing was wet?

I live in the Pacific NW, and park and drive in the rain a lot, so under normal circumstance I can attest to the reality that driving in the rain shouldn't cause a problem.

Really any advice given is a shot in the dark until you can narrow down the source of the odor. Did any of your carpet feel wet? If one extended drive was enough to cause mildew damage to form, then you should have a identifiable leak somewhere.

Is it possible this is NOT mildew? Perhaps something has died in your car?

Without knowing the source, you can do the obvious, which you have done. Run the vents, replace the filter...but until you know "where" the odor is generating from you're just taking shot's in the dark hoping to hit the target. If you haven't already done it, I'd visually inspect as much of the vehicle as possible, as closely as possible. Pop the hood, look underneath, and feel every inch of the vehicle in search of a leakage entry spot.

Once in a while you'll hear a weird story about rodents, mice or other creatures that will take up a fatal residence somewhere in a vehicle. Who knows? Maybe you are smelling rot..not mildew...

Good Luck.