2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which wheel locks to buy?

Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Which wheel locks to buy?

Hi everyone. I am waiting on my dealer to locate my color (polished metal seems to be in short supply), and hopefully I will soon be in possession of my first Honda, a '12 fit sport with 16" rims.

I have enjoyed reading through the forums while anxiously awaiting my new Fit.

I want to get wheel locks asap but I'm having trouble figuring out which size to get and what my best option would be.

Based on info from this thread I looked at Gorilla 7168N locks, available on amazon Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 38431N Honda Ball Seat Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size): Automotive

The thing is when I select the 2012 Fit from the Amazon dropdown menu, it says this product will not fit the 2012 Fit. It will fit the 2011 Fit however. Is there any difference between the two years, or is Amazon's database simply not up to date?

I was also looking at the Mcgard locks, but they seem to be a cone seat. I assume that will not work in place of a ball seat lock?

So the real question is does the 2012 Fit still require 12mx1.5 ball seat locks, or should I be looking at something different? Which Mcgard locks would be appropriate for this car?

I've never owned wheel locks so this is all new for me.

Thanks a lot.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. I too am awaiting delivery of my new Fit and am wondering about this. There are quite a few threads on here already about wheel locks.

I am not quite sure yet, but thinking I might just go with the OEM Honda locks. There seem to be quite a lot of considerations to keep in mind, but a compelling one for me was that apparently the OEM locks should not cause any balance or rusting issues.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Congrat's on the new car. The simplest, not cheapest, thing would be to get the factory locks. Here's a link to compare to your dealers pricing...Smart Auto Parts Picker: Righthondaparts.com Parts and Accessories for your Honda!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
seriously just get factory locks! from the dealer
here is why i say this
1: the dealer locks are smooth on the outside (lock is recessed in the center) in the event someone wants to steal your wheels it will be alot harder than if they have grooves on the outside because all they have to do is pound a socket onto the lock and turn it off, my car was stolen (CRX) awhile back and was stripped, i know they tried to steal my wheels because they tightened down the opposite three lug nuts so tight i had to use a breaker bar and jump on it to loosen then when i got my car back and it still had my K1's on it with factory locks - i'm not saying they work evey time i'm just saying they worked for me!
2: the dealer usually keeps a set (12) of specific locks in stock in the event you loose yours, or a tire store forgets to put it back in your car (you should be able to purchase one from the dealership if you need a replacement)
3: price is usually on par with other locks on the market, but in resale certain people notice the value of factory accessories

i hope this helps both of you - and welcome!

Last edited by vtecfit1; 11-27-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you everyone!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. From what I read, I was under the impression that the Honda wheel locks had a limited number of keys, and that real thieves would simply be able to match up the proper key. I think you just confirmed that there are essentially only 12 keys. This is why I was looking into aftermarket locks. I'll probably still order the Honda locks from college hills, but I'm still thinking about getting a set of Gorilla locks as well for double protection to hopefully deter any potential thieves.
Since the Honda locks fit 09-12, I guess the gorilla locks will fit the '12 despite the vehicle fit chart on amazon claiming otherwise.
Thanks again for the replies.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
I have a set of Honda wheel locks still in unopened package for sale. If your interested shoot me a pm

Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 AM
get the Gorilla Locks, part # 38431N

Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

they're only an inch long so they won't stick out awkwardly like the OEM/mcgaurd locks. And they more resemble the lugs that are on the wheel so it won't look like you have a wheel lock.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM
I have both locks, 3 Gorillas and 1 oem McGards per wheel. I don't leave the lug keys in the car. They'll have to work harder to get them off, hopefully they'll move on to the next car(my neighbor also has a 10 Sport with no locks)

Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TrungLam
hopefully they'll move on to the next car(my neighbor also has a 10 Sport with no locks)
Funny! Hopefully you won't forget to bring the keys with you when you're driving...

I just bought the regular McGards from Bernandi.

Last edited by Subie; 11-27-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TrungLam
I have both locks, 3 Gorillas and 1 oem McGards per wheel. I don't leave the lug keys in the car. They'll have to work harder to get them off, hopefully they'll move on to the next car(my neighbor also has a 10 Sport with no locks)
My setup is similar to yours. I have 2 Gorillas and 2 Honda wheellocks with keys hidden in 4 different places in the car.