2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

USB can't handle 16 gb thumb drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
USB can't handle 16 gb thumb drive?

I have a 2009 Fit Sport. I want to use a 16 gb thumb drive attached to the USB port, but get an "UNSUPPORTED" error when it tries to read. I put the very same album on a 4 gb card, and it reads fine, so I know it's not the format of the file. Both thumb drives are SanDisk. Both are formated exactly the same from the same computer. The FIT owners manual says the USB port can handle "256K or greater".

Anyone get a 16 gb card to work?

Last edited by FlipsFit; 12-23-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention year of my Fit.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
I had a 64GB working before I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket JVC, so I don’t think that size is the issue here. Make certain that your thumb drive (as opposed to the individual music files) is FAT formatted, not NTFS.

Note, however, that the stock HU can recognize only a limited number of files and folders–I believe something like 500, which you’re likely to exceed with a full 16GB USB. The unit will recognize the thumb drive, but it will only display and give you access to the first 500 files/folders

Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I get an "UNSUPPORTED" error with a 1G Staples Relay thumb drive even after I removed the U3 software and reformatted (tried both FAT and FAT32). I have a half gig (can't remember the brand) that works fine in the Fit and both work okay in my friend's Kia. The Fit's radio must just be very fussy about thumb drives.

Last edited by Ricky02816; 12-23-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a 16gb thumb drive and it has over 500 files and it works fine....maybe its just a bad thumb drive

Old 12-24-2011, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 16Gb Kingston thumb drive in mine, and it works just fine. You may have a bad thumb drive.

According to the owners manual, you can have up to 700 folders and 65,535 files.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 12-24-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I have an 8 gb drive and works fine. I had "Unsupported" error show up initially and would not play. I could access it on the PC desktop. I reformatted and reinstalled all mp3s and worked fine from then on. Try a reformat.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
I've used my 16gb micro SD card in my Android phone attached to the usb port. It was able to play music fine, but using the in dash volume controls to change songs is an awful experience. Just get an iPod. It's so much easier.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calrose rice
I've used my 16gb micro SD card in my Android phone attached to the usb port. It was able to play music fine, but using the in dash volume controls to change songs is an awful experience. Just get an iPod. It's so much easier.
Agreed. if you have 16GB of music, you won't want to try and navigate that without it being on an ipod in Playlist format. It's painful with less than 8GB of music on my flash drive.

~SB

Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
What model/generation ipod would anyone recommend for storage/fit-use? I disdain paying for overpriced apple products, and their DRM annoys me but enabling playlists is a feature I'd like. I'm thinking cheap used ebay ipods. So what's a good deal?

edit: blech. looks like anything with more than 2GB regardless of age is at a price of $80+ used. Then I'd have to re-rip all my CDs since they're in wma format on my pc. Looks like I'll pick up a handful of USB drives for next to nothing and swap them in lieu of playlists. I detest apple and am highly suspicious of anyone owning one of their products. including my kids.

edit edit:

Originally Posted by Fit Owner's Manual page 137
The USB
flash memory device limit is up to
700 folders or up to 65535 files.
or play with folder organization to try to get something resembling playlists.

Last edited by Steve244; 12-29-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 PM
You can buy an off-brand MP3 player for almost nothing.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
You can buy an off-brand MP3 player for almost nothing.
Except then I'd have no control over what plays except through the mp3 player's interface. I like using the USB connection and selecting using the radio's controls, and don't like wires hanging off the aux jack.

The Fit's radio seems to ignore any folder structure, only looking at the folders that contain actual playable files. No way to do a tree structure (like Ipods' menus). Need to try creating playlists under WM and setting sync options to USB memory so only playlists are synced. If it copies anything more than the playlist folder it won't work. But I can still do it manually. Multiple copies of music files will be created in different folders, but memory is cheap.

meh. played with window's media. It let's you choose from creating the entire folder hierarchy or no folders at all. And the only hierarchy it recognizes is group-album. If you sync a playlist that doesn't appear as a folder. Manually creating folders is possible, but the order of the music files is unpredictable, and the woman took off with the Fit so I have no way to test this evening. Multiple USB memory fobs may be the way to go. One for her, and one for me.

Last edited by Steve244; 12-29-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
What model/generation ipod would anyone recommend for storage/fit-use? I disdain paying for overpriced apple products, and their DRM annoys me but enabling playlists is a feature I'd like. I'm thinking cheap used ebay ipods. So what's a good deal?

edit: blech. looks like anything with more than 2GB regardless of age is at a price of $80+ used. Then I'd have to re-rip all my CDs since they're in wma format on my pc. Looks like I'll pick up a handful of USB drives for next to nothing and swap them in lieu of playlists. I detest apple and am highly suspicious of anyone owning one of their products. including my kids.

edit edit:

or play with folder organization to try to get something resembling playlists.
Put up a "Want to Trade" on CL. you get a used iPod, they get what they want... little if any cost to you. one of the best things about previously working at a college was the lost & Found became "Raffle" prizes for those of us that worked there after about 6 months. Got me 3 ipods (Nano, Touch, & Classic 80GB, a Digital SLR, and a few other things over the years I worked there.

I'm not a fan of apple but they do make a good music player. Also, there's plenty of software to batch Convert from WMA to MP3 without the need to re-rip. you wouldn't notice the difference on the stock stereo anyway. I'd see if you can find a 4GB or 8GB nano (any generation) or see if there's something on ebay with a cracked screen. Avoid HDD based iPods and go for those with flash memory.

~SB

Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 AM
What model/generation ipod would anyone recommend for storage/fit-use? I disdain paying for overpriced apple products, and their DRM annoys me but enabling playlists is a feature I'd like.
FYI, iTunes-bought music no longer has DRM.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Put up a "Want to Trade" on CL. you get a used iPod, they get what they want... little if any cost to you. one of the best things about previously working at a college was the lost & Found became "Raffle" prizes for those of us that worked there after about 6 months. Got me 3 ipods (Nano, Touch, & Classic 80GB, a Digital SLR, and a few other things over the years I worked there.
My imagination doesn't encompass "want to trade" on CL. My days as a gigolo are behind me. ew.

Originally Posted by specboy
I'm not a fan of apple but they do make a good music player. Also, there's plenty of software to batch Convert from WMA to MP3 without the need to re-rip. you wouldn't notice the difference on the stock stereo anyway. I'd see if you can find a 4GB or 8GB nano (any generation) or see if there's something on ebay with a cracked screen. Avoid HDD based iPods and go for those with flash memory.

~SB
Good advice. NCH makes a kick-ass file converter, but I'd probably still re-rip everything. At least my imagination thinks it can tell the difference in sound quality.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alam99
FYI, iTunes-bought music no longer has DRM.
Really? That's good to know.

edit: but the other annoying thing about itunes (another annoying thing) is it doesn't populate meta-data such as artist, album, track-name to any audio CDs it creates. If you rip something on Itunes, or buy through the Itunes store and burn a CD to copy to Windows Media (or anything else) you don't get those pieces of information, and filling them in is tedious.

Another annoying thing is the whole Itunes experience. As good as ipods are, itunes software is supremely annoying. It's as if someone completely ignored standard windows conventions when designing it. Oh. Nevermind. Then there's the sleazy apple bloatware that gets downloaded if you're not careful.

Last edited by Steve244; 12-30-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit's radio seems to ignore any folder structure, only looking at the folders that contain actual playable files. No way to do a tree structure (like Ipods' menus). Need to try creating playlists under WM and setting sync options to USB memory so only playlists are synced. If it copies anything more than the playlist folder it won't work. But I can still do it manually. Multiple copies of music files will be created in different folders, but memory is cheap.

meh. played with window's media. It let's you choose from creating the entire folder hierarchy or no folders at all. And the only hierarchy it recognizes is group-album. If you sync a playlist that doesn't appear as a folder. Manually creating folders is possible, but the order of the music files is unpredictable, and the woman took off with the Fit so I have no way to test this evening. Multiple USB memory fobs may be the way to go. One for her, and one for me.
The USB memory fob I updated worked out sorta well. Apparently the honda/alpine USB firmware reads audio files in the folder where they were added in the order they were added (I think others have pointed this out). It must be a FAT thing. I wish they had made it smart enough to read FAT folder structures and provide navigation through them.

Anyway, using Windows Media to write to a USB fob seems the most cost effective way (for me) to organize mytunes. Instead of using the WM default folder hierarchy, select no folders. Create a playlist in WM and sync this to the USB fob. Everything is written to the root directory. Then create your own folder (just one layer) giving it the name of your playlist and move everything to it. Do this for each playlist. The only downside is if a track is in more than one playlist in WM it'll be duplicated on the fob. Hate wasting bits. ok not really.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 AM
All the CDs I've ripped in iTunes have populated the metadata.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
All the CDs I've ripped in iTunes have populated the metadata.
Sure, in Itunes. But if you burn an audio CD from that in Itunes and rip it to Windows Media it doesn't make the trip.

I'll have to try the AAC->MP3 conversion software on the machine she uses with itunes to see if it does any better. Not sure about the DRM. I think that'll stop me on albums purchased when it was in effect.

Last edited by Steve244; 12-30-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
How can you format a 16GB drive with FAT.........that's way too big for FAT far as I know.......

z

Old 04-14-2020, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member

Quick Reply: USB can't handle 16 gb thumb drive?