2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2012 fit vs new suburu impreza

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:21 PM
2012 fit vs new suburu impreza

So I bought this new fit late November and absolutely love it. I did my best to talk my young daughter into buying one and came close but she just wouldn't do it. So she buys the new hatchback suburu impreza awd and I gotta say...damn, I love that car. It was only 2 grand more than the fit and it is such a luxury car in comparison. It feels heavier more solid tighter faster better looks and wow. I would trade my fit in in a sec if I could. Sure I get a couple more mpg than she does but she has awd! She could go up my long steep driveway in ice and snow but I couldn't. I had to schepp up the hill and leave my fit on the street.
Ok I still love my fit but compared to hers it now seems quite chintzy.
She even has a full storage arm rest that I don't have!
So what to do now? That's the question.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
The new Impreza is a damn nice car for the money. If you need awd, I'd definitely consider it. The new Mazda 3 engines are worth checking out too. The 3 has a solid european heft to it and is quieter than the Fit, and I think it's more class competitive with the Subaru than the Fit, so that's why I mention it.

The SX4 is a lot of fun too, if you live in a snowy place. It's like a slightly torquier and awd version of our cars, but with more driver engagement. Make sure a dealer is nearby though.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Thumbs down How about...

You buy an arm rest from Honda and put snow tires on your car...

Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure about the options included in a base model, five door Impreza (the Fit's a five door, so I'm trying to compare apples and apples). With an AT here in the San Francisco Bay Area, MSRP on the Impreza is roundabout $20,500. On a base model Fit with AT, it's roundabout $17,000. To me, a substantial difference.

I don't know what room there is to negotiate the Impreza price. My experience with the Fit: lots of room.

I purchased the 2012 Fit to replace a 1995 Legacy wagon. Drove the bejeebers out of that Legacy for seventeen years, and got a really good price on it back then. Liked it! That stated, much as I think Subarus are darn nice cars, it broke down a whole lot more than I ever thought it would. I'm looking forward to much much better from the Fit.

In the smallish AWD car category, it's probably difficult to beat an Impreza.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Yea, the Imprezza appears to be a really nice car and looked into it before I bought my Fit.

However, the Fit was better suited to my budget and being in CA and not planning to do any rough terrain I didn't really need awd. The extra couple grand plus taxes also put it out of reach for me. A few thousand may not seem like a lot to some or within reach of the Fit but it was also the reason I discounted the Toyota Matrix and the Mazda 3.

I think the over 20K lines do have a bit more with larger engines and comfort features but really I still I feel I got the best value for the money with the Fit.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
If you need it, AWD FTW, I bought my Fit for fair weather commuting, my other reason was to save wear and tear on my AWD CR-V

Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Ja I hear y,all. Snow tires and an armrest put me at 800 towards that two grand difference plus I have to pay to change out.
I also didn't mention I'm six feet tall and can't straighten out my leg in the fit but I can in the impreza.
The USB is worthless to me in the fit cause it doesn't support an ipad2
The only variable worth discussing is reliability but damn that impreza is sweet and a lot nicer than I thought it was after driving it and feeling how solid and tight it was.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
My sister lives in Anchorage Alaska and drives the wheels off her Subaru's

EDIT: I will say this, with AWD, driving in the rain your rig will always handle like the road is dry.

Last edited by YouKantPimpInaKIA; 02-03-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
My wife drives a Forester so I get to drive sometimes... For a car that is marketed as a small SUV it sure handles entrance and exit ramps well... Much more comfortable too.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Superglyde
The USB is worthless to me in the fit cause it doesn't support an ipad2
Pickup a used iPod to just leave in the glove box.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
What format do you use .mp3 or that proprietary apple one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Sorry Malraux. Used iPod does one no good when I have a data package for my iPad and I listen to radio apps and pandora, thus the USB in the fit is worthless. And won't even charge the iPad
The salesman lied and said it supports iPad and it does not. It supports iPhone

Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Superglyde
Sorry Malraux. Used iPod does one no good when I have a data package for my iPad and I listen to radio apps and pandora, thus the USB in the fit is worthless. And won't even charge the iPad
The salesman lied and said it supports iPad and it does not. It supports iPhone
He's a car salesman not a DJ, my Shuffle's arn't supported either...I put .mp3's on that 32Gb Flash Dive above, it likes that

Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 AM
I didn't realize how inexpensive Suburu's were until I just checked my local dealers website. Pretty cool that there's lots of MTs available. One huge drawback in my opinion is the sedan like styling.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
The Forester doesn't have as much cargo room as my Fit does but it a lot quieter and a whole lot more comfortable... I was surprised that you could get that much car for the money... The only bad thing is that if you get into a fender bender and parts are needed you may have a long wait...

Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM
the 2012, 2.0 imprezza is nice, but you sure won't be receiving 40mpg with AWD, i would say it's 5-10mpg lower then the 2012 fit
the FWD Imprezza would be a couple of mpg difference.
Lots of competition coming for the Fit, Subaru basically cut their engine size from 2.5L to 2.0 to compete more with the Civic, Fit and Hyundai

Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Thumbs up Wow...

Originally Posted by canuck901
the 2012, 2.0 imprezza is nice, but you sure won't be receiving 40mpg with AWD, i would say it's 5-10mpg lower then the 2012 fit
the FWD Imprezza would be a couple of mpg difference.
Lots of competition coming for the Fit, Subaru basically cut their engine size from 2.5L to 2.0 to compete more with the Civic, Fit and Hyundai
I did not realize they went back to the 2.0L engine. We had a Subaru Outback with a 2.5L that we bought brand new, and every 60K the head gasket would blow like clockwork. We never had any problems like that with our previous Subarus. They had put that crap engine in all their cars, and I told my wife we would not buy another one with that 2.5L engine in it. I will have to look at the Imprezas now for when I give my Fit to my daughter...

As for the original poster...trade your Fit in or sell it outright, the resale value is high and buy the Subaru...you might lose a thousand or two in the switchover, but life is too short to drive a car you don't like...

Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah Subaru brought back the normally aspirated 2.0. Looks nice and I think it gets around high 20s/mid 30's on mpg @ best. Apples and oranges if you're trying to compare the Fit and the Impreza.

I have both. My '02 Rex still puts a smile on my face @ 114k . So does my '08 Fit when hauling stuff, finding parking spots and definitely when pulling up to a gas pump. Luv 'um both...

Your move...

Last edited by Subie; 02-04-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
I believe Subaru is the State Car of Colorado
I decided to keep my 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.2L rather than selling or trading when I bought my Fit. Several friends who had 1997-2001 Outbacks had head gasket problems. My Scoobydoo was too good to give up. 155k and still going strong. It has some nice amenities not available on my the Fit like leather seats, sunroof & roof rack. One of the best cars I 've ever owned. The Fit is my DD and I enjoy the gas savings. A neighbor has the Impreza and it is a nice car.

Last edited by sooznd; 02-04-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
So true Susan... specially the Outback

Quick Reply: 2012 fit vs new suburu impreza