2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Park. 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Stuck in Park. 2009

about 6 months ago the battery started to go bad. Made it 3 years. One thing I noticed is that when the battery is dead... you cannot get it out of park to push it. So after a bit of reading I found the transmission release on the left side ....pushing a key down it unlocks the shift handle. six months later... the thing keeps getting stuck in park again...so I push down the button with a key... put the car in neutral and then start the car....royal pain in the lsdkfajkd. Anyone else out there having this issue?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 PM
im not having that issude cause my fit is MT, but have you checked to see if the brake switch is still working? if the brake switch is not working it will not let you get it out of park

Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
I also just noticed that the cruise control now is also not working. It looks like its on but its not holding speed. Is there a fuse thats blown causing this. All this started at the same time.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by gruenes
I also just noticed that the cruise control now is also not working. It looks like its on but its not holding speed. Is there a fuse thats blown causing this. All this started at the same time.
That also indicates a problem with the brake pedal position switch.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
is that something I can buy on line and swap out? or is that a take it to the honda dealer job?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 PM
is that something I can buy on line and swap out? or is that a take it to the honda dealer job?
depends on how handy you are. If I say that you need to unplug a sensor and check continuity with the brake both up and down, does that make sense? If no, then you should take it to a mechanic (not necessarily the dealer).

Basically, there's a sensor with two actual switches at the top of the brake pedal. When your foot is off the brake, one switch is closed, when its on, the other is closed. It might be faulty, or just out of adjustment. There are a few other possible problems that would also result in this, so don't by the part till you verify the problem.

And if you are handy, acquiring the service manual would be of great help.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:05 AM
It could be a blown fuse. I had the same problem with my 95 civic. I had a positive touching ground under my fenders because of the side marker harness. It blew my taillight fuse and other as well. But once I patched up the exposed wires, added new fuse. BAM! Started like a champ. The ecu can read a blown fuse but not a dead bulb. So check your wiring if you've done any. If that's not the case, you may have to look else where. Hope it helps.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
about 6 months ago the battery started to go bad. Made it 3 years. One thing I noticed is that when the battery is dead... you cannot get it out of park to push it. So after a bit of reading I found the transmission release on the left side ....pushing a key down it unlocks the shift handle. six months later... the thing keeps getting stuck in park again...so I push down the button with a key... put the car in neutral and then start the car....royal pain in the lsdkfajkd. Anyone else out there having this issue?
I had the stuck in park issue a few months after owning my Fit. I forget the reason behind it (a spring or something), but it was covered under warranty so I took it to Honda to have it fixed. That same issue also caused my brake lights to go out as well. I dont think it was or could have been a single fuse that caused the brake lights to go out though.

Hopefully my battery doesn't go bad! I'm coming up on my 3rd year too. lol.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM
did you press the brake pedal? lol im just trolling you.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I had a blown fuze... horn/brake. was caused by a loose horn wire connection.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
two fuses can affect it.

one is under the hood in the pos battery terminal block as well as #24 on my 2009.
One in battery terminal block appears not to be replaceable, and requires the whole terminal be replaced. Wasn't locally stocked.

? I am not sure how this is a good idea, but losing the terminal fuses will shut the whole car down. Not sure what they were thinking in this protection strategy.

check horn, brakelights and turn signals after the underdash fuse, before thinking about the shifter. A good Youtube is out there on the shifter.
Not much on the underhood fuses and terminal block.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
I was able to help a man yesterday using the remove-the-little-access-plate trick. His old Honda Civic had stopped cold in busy traffic traffic on a hill. He was stuck in Park and I walked over to see if I could be of help. He was greatly thankful!

Question. What exactly happens behind the scene when the key is pressed in the access plate slot? Is the release mechanical or electrical? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
There is an electic solenoid

There is an electic solenoid to the mechanical block/lock you released
In my post there is a quick check to help determine at which level the power is cut off, to see if the solenoid is getting juice.
try that before tearing into the console
as in "was it plugged in?"