2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the rear wiper blade assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
How do you remove the rear wiper blade assembly?

I'm trying to remove the rear wiper blade assembly from the wiper arm. The service manual says to remove the lock from the wiper arm first, then remove the wiper assembly. After looking at the rear wiper arm, I can't find the "lock" they talk about. Can anyone who has removed the wiper blade assembly from the wiper arm please help?

Also, will an aftermarket blade assembly work or is the rear wiper something unique? The mounting method seems different from other wiper assemblies I have changed in the past.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
don't have the car in front of me, but did you have same problem on the front blades?

For the front, I just did this recently, but didn't do the back. I'd assume they are the same just it's harder to find the size for the back.
There's just a little flap on the blade assembly, so you flip that up with your fingernail first to "unlock" , then it is just a U-hook which is pretty common. It might be tight with dirt or stuff, so you have to wiggle it out.

I don't think there is anything special so u can use aftermarket. The main issue is most blades expect more curvature than the Fit's glass, so depending on the blade, the generic blade which is more curvedmight not pressure the middle quite as well, so may leave a little moisture there.
so keep your assemblies, you may want to just buy inserts for them and reuse them, if you don't like how the aftermarket ones wipe. (more work though to do the insert)

But I also use rain-x so I depend on the rain-x for majority of water clearing work over the wiperblade.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-18-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your reply.

The front and rear wiper attachment methods are entirely different. I see the little flap you're talking about on the front wipers (I wish it were that easy ), but the rear wipers have a completely different mounting method.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Funny how I haven't been here in a very long time, yet I visited in search of information on wiper blade replacement. The first page had this thread close to the top. I have the original wiper blades on my '10 Fit Sport, and they are not doing the best job anymore. I have only brought the car in for 2 oil changes over the course of 15K miles and had the last oil change done recently. I don't feel like making a special trip to the dealer (where I get my oil changes done) but am ready to replace my wipers already. I would like to do all 3 at the same time,as they seem to be doing about the same job. I went to the local auto parts store and they only had the front wipers. I was told that a trip to the dealer would be required to get the rear wiper. I'm wondering if the prices at the dealer would be that much higher,and what size the rear wiper blade is. Also, what brand/type do others here recommend?
TIA

Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
The rear blade assembly simply turns itself out.

Stand at the rear wiper arm
Pull blade arm away from car
Turn the blade
Once you turn it past 45 degrees or something, it should somewhat pop itself out.

Basically the hinge is shaped so it can slide in the gap at a certain angle, and lock itself in once you turn in a bit.

I don't know about aftermarket options for the wiper blades (vs the inserts), the one I wanted, rain-x latitude don't come in 14" sizes. But the blade isn't very flexible... changing the insert was a PITA!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
The rear blade assembly simply turns itself out.

Stand at the rear wiper arm
Pull blade arm away from car
Turn the blade
Once you turn it past 45 degrees or something, it should somewhat pop itself out.

Basically the hinge is shaped so it can slide in the gap at a certain angle, and lock itself in once you turn in a bit.

I don't know about aftermarket options for the wiper blades (vs the inserts), the one I wanted, rain-x latitude don't come in 14" sizes. But the blade isn't very flexible... changing the insert was a PITA!
Thank you! I tried what you said after lubricating the pivot area with some silicone lube and the blade assembly slide/popped right off the arm. I was afraid of doing this before your post for fear of breaking something.

Now to look for a replacement blade assembly.

Mahalo for your help!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
For those looking for replacement blade assembly for the rear hatch wiper, NAPA now makes a direct replacement part that is a exact duplicate of the stock wiper blade assembly. NAPA part # 60-014-B. Installed without any problems.

Price was $13.59, but got it for $9.09 because of the amount of business I do with them

Thanks again for all the help on the wiper blade assembly removal.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
a few options at rockauto.com
Anco for 5.44
and
Trico exact fit 7.33

shipping probably is a bit though, so you'll have to buy a few items to make it worthwhile

Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
For the Canucks - Crappy Tire has them.