2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil down to 15% Today. a quick question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM
oil down to 15% Today. a quick question..

Hi all.. i'm new to this forum

Just had the oil reminder pop up today. down to 15% now. I have only 4000 miles on my 2012 fit. I got the fit in january 2012, so it's only been 6 months and it's down to 15%.

my question is..Should I
1) top it off? if yes, what oil type?
2) do the FIRST oil change anyways.

how much is an oil change at honda?

thanks

Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Oh boy. Lol
The 15% is not based on time or quantity of oil but rather the "life" left in the oil. It's all based on driving habits and conditions.
Get it changed at the dealer....don't hold me to it but a conventional oil change with filter will probably run you $30+/- and a full synthetic will run $60-$80

***make sure they use 0w20 oil!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
you only at 4000miles? and its at 15%?
that seems kinda low, when i was first at 15%, i was at about 10000kms (about 6200miles)

but it should be a oil change not top up, and i never got an oil change at the dealer so can't comment on how much it will be, if you do it yourself it should be $5 for the oem filter and $10-40 depending on the oil you use

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Average is 6000 miles between oil changes, but the number will vary based on the individual driving style and conditions. Just go along with the owner's manual reccomendation to start planning for an oil change when the minder shows 15% Same goes for the oil type. While you're reading about the mileage minder in your owners manual you can also check on the type of oil you should use. As far as cost in the US, plan on anywhere from $19.95 - $89.95 . I may be exagerrating a bit, but there really is no set amount.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
4000 miles seems a little low, I get around 5000-5250 before 15% comes on. The CPU calculates when you need an oil change based on your driving habits... so the harder you drive, the sooner your maintenance will come up, or depending on if you have shorter commutes.

You certainly don't need to top up your oil. When you do your oil change is up to you, Honda says you can go all the way to 0% but I usually book my appointment the day the light goes on at 15%. I live in Canada so I can't tell you much about american pricing, but here a conventional oil change at the dealership will run you about $32-$35 (which is an A1 service).

The second generation fits (GE8) now run 0W20 oil.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
This is what honda says:

Oil Life % Message:
What to do:
15% Service Due Soon Plan to take your vehicle in for service.
5% Service Due Now Take your vehicle in now for maintenance.
0% Service Past Due Service is overdue. Take your vehicle in now.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Some dealers give you your first oil change free- it's worth asking.

Yeah, 4000 miles to 15% is lower than average, but if you do a lot of stop & go city driving, and little highway driving, maybe that's the reason.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rampo
Average is 6000 miles between oil changes, but the number will vary based on the individual driving style and conditions.
The average from other threads and reports are more along the lines of 12,500 in standard driving to get from 100% to 0%.

Of course, the people who are spending their time to meticulously track their maintenance tend to be the eco-fitters (hypermilers) who by nature are going easy on the engine and having a lot of highway high mpg miles.

BTW This also matches the maintenance schedule someone posted for the Euro or Non-US Fits without maintenanceMonitor which says to change oil around 12.5K miles.

As far as what you should do

0) As mentioned above, you're supposed to schedule service at 15%, but you can go all the way down to 0%. In reality you probably can go further past it too as there is some buffer room. The car doesn't turn into a pumpkin.
Also, you still are supposed to periodically check the level of your oil, which is independent from the oil life. As long as something is on the stick, you should be OK, since you're changing soon.

1) If you have no idea what to do, just go to the dealer and have them take care of you. You can also check your mail for flyers or coupons which can save you money. If you have anything else to complain about, this is also your chance to see if they can look at it under warranty while the car is in.

There is nothing complicated about this car, this is about as standard as it gets. Any independent mechanic can service it (typically at a lower cost than dealer, but sometimes not). You can search yelp or other review sites if you wish to form a relationship with a local mechanic.

2) There are tons of threads on what Oil for your oil change and oil advice is like religion.
Ensure you are using a 0w-20. Since the OilChangeInterval for this car should be high (maybe this first change is a fluke), you actually are going to get use out of better oil, so I suggest getting a higher quality synthetic oil if you are given the choice (within reason).

3) Price differs wildly. Look for coupons. A fair market price for proper service for synthetic 0w-20 oil should be materials will cost you ~$40+typically 10-$20 for labor=$50-$60
If they are substituting a worse conv oil that isn't right spec for the Fit, sometimes this will be advertised much lower.
Often there are deals as this is a way to get you in and offer you other services you may not need.
My local honda charges $99 with a tire rotation and "inspection" which is just a way to get more business.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-31-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah about 6k mi has been the average for the MM 15% oil life light to come on, from my experience.

To the OP, since you are a new owner, I recommend you go over your owners manual maintenance section and get familiar with the routines... It's your car after all. Answers to your questions are there.

Last edited by Subie; 06-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I drive a lot in stop and go traffic especially in morning commute to work. Returning home is the same especially the long island expressway, loads of traffic, almost bumper to bumper each morning.
I'm going to schedule an apptmnt with Honda, I just got a few coupons in the mail. Hope that would help my wallet a little.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by white_FIT2012
Hi all.. i'm new to this forum

Just had the oil reminder pop up today. down to 15% now. I have only 4000 miles on my 2012 fit. I got the fit in january 2012, so it's only been 6 months and it's down to 15%.

my question is..Should I
1) top it off? if yes, what oil type?
2) do the FIRST oil change anyways.

how much is an oil change at honda?

thanks
Curious where does option 1 even come from?

I've never talked to or otherwise heard about anyone topping off their oil when it came time to do an oil change.

On the other hand, I've had at least one car that burned/leaked oil so badly, that if I didn't top it off... I wouldn't make it to where ever I was going (incidentally, it was a Ford Taurus wagon). That while visiting my friend it leaked so much, that I couldn't even go back home until I dumped a quart in.

But there in lies the thing... oil consumption BEFORE needing an oil change vs time to do an oil change.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM
WRT topping it off: you are occasionally pooping the hood and checking the dipstick right?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
"WRT"?

I must admit.... the only times I've really checked my oil levels was on the road trip (even then, for an 11k mile trip, it was only once), or when i do an oil change.

Even though I use 0w-20, which Texas_coyote suggested might get consumed a bit more than 5w-20 that printed in my manual... I haven't noticed any change in the dipstick.

Is any being consumed? I don't know... only know that even after four months, or 6k miles, the oil level on the dipstick is just about the middle of the two dots.... right before I dump it to do the oil change.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 PM
WRT = with respect/regards to. And the comment should have been directed to white fit2012

Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
oh, ic, ic

Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
OP is in New York. Its been since January, the coldest months of the year. If it was mostly short trip driving, then 4000mi may not be that unreasonable. If the Honda MM system uses a similar algorithm to BMW, there is a big "penalty" for distance driven before the engine warms up. Before MM systems, typical Severe service schedules in owners manuals were for "trips under ten miles below 32F" or similar wording.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I was at 15% in less then 5k on my 2012 sport and did the oil change at that time.

First was free and they used Syn power 0w20. Next will be around 60 bucks from dealer in Socal.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zilla8
Next will be around 60 bucks from dealer in Socal.
Ewwwwwwww.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
many trips of short duration (less than 20 minutes(which happen to be the case with very low milage cars)) mean the oil never gets to full operating temp. (or just reaches it by the end of the trip) which shortens the lifespan considerably.

OP is at 6 months, which is the alterative to milage in standard change plans, as in 5k miles OR 6 moths, whichever comes first. so yes, time for a change. where/how is up to you.

also, with a brand new car you probably souldn't need to be topping off oil at all.

Last edited by punx45; 06-01-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by punx45
many trips of short duration (less than 20 minutes(which happen to be the case with very low milage cars)) mean the oil never gets to full operating temp. (or just reaches it by the end of the trip) which shortens the lifespan considerably.

OP is at 6 months, which is the alterative to milage in standard change plans, as in 5k miles OR 6 moths, whichever comes first. so yes, time for a change. where/how is up to you.

also, with a brand new car you probably souldn't need to be topping off oil at all.
The Fit, or rather Honda, uses a 1 year alternative cycle.

Quick Reply: oil down to 15% Today. a quick question..