2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which Sunshade should I get? (2 choices)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I use one that I custom-cut from a roll of foil bubble wrap from work (free). You can fold it or roll it. Can't beat it for the price. Has been holding up well all summer...

Old 08-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I used the "Ed Hardy" Koi sun screen - not that I care for Mr. sell out, but I have a tattoo on my right arm of one of my Reiki symbols, which my girlfriend did the artwork for (and it has Koi doing a yin-yang pattern around the spiral within the symbol) and unfortunately his design was about the only decent koi design I could find. You have to cock the panels at an angle / \ but it covers most the dash and does keep the brunt of the heat down. I'm hoping next weekend to do some Tinting on the side and back and with the door vents I should be able to block enough light and vent air enough to not fry when I enter my car!

http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Hardy-Koi-W.../dp/B003MS8NGU

I think I paid $12 or less at Walmart - make sure you get Jumbo.

Takes me all of maybe 5 seconds to stack the panels and twist them into small circle - then tuck it in the seat pocket behind the passenger seat.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Have a heatshield and so far its kept the car cooler.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Where do you put it? (keep answers clean please.)

The one piece windshield sunshade was shipped on its way to me from Amazon today. It's supposed to fold (or roll?) up with a strap of some sort...but once you do that with yours, where do you put it while driving? Just toss on back seat, or behind the back seat? In other cars I manage to slide the folded shade between my passenger front seat cushion and the center console, yet I >assume< this will be way too big for that easy solution...

I guess the answer will be plain once I have it in my hands, but maybe I'm overlooking a simple solution (like towing a freaking trailer behind me to hold the monstrosity!)

Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
I keep my rolled sunshade on the floor in the back passenger area when driving, unless I've got someone riding back there... then I toss it into the cargo area in the back, which makes it more annoying to reach and leads to me forgetting to put it in place until I put it back where I normally keep it.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks DeathKitten. I bought my Fit 8/2/12, right after my first test drive in one. Tried both base and Sport, decided on a white base with AT to save some bucks, as most Sport stuff didn't appeal. Now I'm in the midst of researching and ordering the things I DO want. Optioned floor mats on purchase. Ordered sunshade for windshield. Ordered window vents that I found that I liked more than those the dealer had. Priced out tinting on rear seat and back windows ($260 - ouch), priced out leather seat covers and found a shop that will put them on cuz I only have one wortking hand...(about $460 + $75/hr, bigger ouch!.) By the time I'm done I may spend as much as the Sport would have been, but with exactly the stuff I wanted. Finished waxing it w/a good paste wax this morning...best way to find any flaws that may have been overlooked in the blood rush of buying my 1st new car since a 1985 Turbo LeBaron. Sure hope this does better than that POS! Car name, not sure, but marshmellow seems about right. (Wife encouraged white...she was afraid I'd come home with orange, as my First new car purchase was a '72 Orange VW Superbug.) Unsure about fender things to protect paint at bottom of car. We'll see how long it takes before wife says ENOUGH! (she knows I obsess.)

Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
I did the same base vs. sport consideration when I bought... and I went with the sport for two reasons: 1. I dislike the look of the Fit without the rear spoiler, even though I usually dislike the look of spoilers on cars. 2. When I considered the things I wanted (fog lights, keyless entry, etc) the cost of adding them to the base vs. just buying the sport was too small of a gap to justify not getting the sport. I was buying back before they added keyless entry to the base, and I was buying used on top of that due to budget constrants (though the price gap between new and used is small on Hondas, it still made a difference for me).

Those classic bugs could wear amazing colors, couldn't they? A lot of cars on the road these days can't wear unique colors... though I'm glad to say the Fit does well with the Blackberry Pearl I got on mine. ^_^

Good luck with your new car! Enjoy it!

Old 09-02-2012, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Fyi

Originally Posted by DeathKitten
I keep my rolled sunshade on the floor in the back passenger area when driving, unless I've got someone riding back there... then I toss it into the cargo area in the back, which makes it more annoying to reach and leads to me forgetting to put it in place until I put it back where I normally keep it.
At least with my roll up sunshade, and I'd imagine almost any...it will fit underneath the back seats in the space behind the braces that lock the seats into place.

During the Winter Months that's where I store mine. It's great. Absolutely forget about it...unless I have to lower my seats.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 PM
I've had my huge sunshade from Amazon a while now and am really impressed how easily it goes up into place one-handed, and how much it helps keep the car from turning into an oven. It is shaped so well I hardly even have to turn the visors down to hold it, let alone wrestling it in front of the rear view mirror. The sides to cover the front quarter panel windows act to hold the whole thing in place.

Taking it down is another matter one handed. If by myself I just fold it over and push it down into the front passenger footwell, where it pretty much takes over the whole passenger seat. If going further or with passengers I start rolling it while it's still up, and then once loosely rolled grab the inside of the roll and starting to twist it to narrow it until the attached strap reaches all the way around to keep it rolled. Then onto the floor of the back seats so I can reach it from the driver's seat next time I want to use it. All in all the heat reduction it allows is worth the hassle: I do not regret the purchase.

Paul H

Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I don't use one no issue.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Purchased mine from the Honda dealer same day I took
delivery of the Fit.

One piece that covers the entire front window and the
smaller side windows by the outside mirrors.

It is large; however, I have learned how to manipulate
it such that the passenger does not get poked in the eye.

Really need it here in Texas.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 PM
My Heatshield arrived a couple days ago and I love it. A bit of a pain to roll it up but I guess that's the learning curve. It fits flush with the windshield and covers the two little side windows as well.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
I bought the Heatshield and very happy with the coverage. Yeah, like others have said it's a pain to put up and take down but it does cover the window. I'll use it in the winter too, even in Chi town, I don't want the dash and the seats to fade.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Another obvious and stupid hint.

I bought an separate velcro strap, and occasionally I roll the heatshield up the opposite way....backing facing outward, instead of heat reflective silver. Then I use the extra velcro strap to keep it rolled up.

The reason I do this, is it keeps the side window flaps from curling inward.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
That's a good idea, do you think the different curve will affect the life of the shield?

Old 09-22-2012, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by running
That's a good idea, do you think the different curve will affect the life of the shield?
Well I've had my Heatshield "almost" as long as my 2010, so I'm going on 2+ almost 3 years of ownership, and it hasn't affected the Heatshield negatively.

It's basically a accordian but covered cloth set up, The side flaps will curl in the direction it is consistently rolled up, so rolling it occasionally in the opposite direction seems to help. I haven't noticed nor can I think of any reason it would affect the life or functionality of the heatshield negatively.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Good deal, my only thought was the bending back and forth might cause it to split prematurely. I just over thinking the crap out of this, sorry.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Various stickers are available everywhere to put on the windshields of the cars. However, there are different online sticker printing companies offering sticker printing services in all over the world. If you are looking to have some sorts of stickers for your car or bike, click here

Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 PM
ric
I bought the Heatshield brand from Amazon. Heavy duty and fits well. As others have mentioned, it is bulky when rolled up, so I keep it in the back. I am getting better at installing it and removing it, too. Worth the price IMHO.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my 09's been parking outside 24/7 the last 5yrs. no issue with fading, so ive not considered getting one of these. it's just another thing to do before taking off.

Quick Reply: Which Sunshade should I get? (2 choices)