2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY cargo protector with pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 PM
DIY cargo protector with pics

So, after covering cardboard boxes with moving blankets for a few years, I was finally inspired to see some of ya'll's DIY projects and built my own. I ended up making the backs of the seats as separate pieces because I often find myself using one seat down and one seat up after gigs and what not. This way also lets them be stored in the back when both back seats are up. Scroll down for pics. I'm going to get a better pic of the finished project, was hot and sweaty after finishing it and my hands were shaky from lack of beer....

I call this the ARF Cargo Protector in honor of may recently passed grandfather (his initials) who was an avid wood carver. Twas' nice to use my hands and think of him whilst operating a saw.

Materials:
2 $16 4'x4' pieces of pegboard from Loews. (regular hardboard would be fine, but this is all they had and technically cuts down on weight too)
2 $12/each bottles 3m spray glue
2 $12/each 27"x72" vinyl garage runner mats

Tools:
box cutter for cutting the pattern out of cardboard and the mat
jigsaw (not the best choice for making the curves but the only choice I had)

Step 1: Make the pattern. If you have large sheets of craft paper, that would be easier to use. The best way to match the curve of the back is to flip the spare tire cover up and trace it onto the end of the cardboard. You really only need to make one side for the back of the seats, the longer side of the 60/40 split. For the shorter side, just measure and shorten it as needed. The curve at the bottom and the latch cutout are the same as the other side.

Step 2: Cut out the pattern

Step 3: Transfer the pattern to the pegboard and cut it out. I used a jigsaw and went slow. Would be much easier if you had the proper tools to cut curves and long straight lines. Make sure to sand all edges before you glue the mats.

Step 4: Glue on the mats. I ended up using 2 cans of the glue, though and did both sides of the boards to keep them from rubbing off onto the carpet. You may get by with only 1 can if you don't layer it on quite as thick as they tell you to.

A trick I learned after doing the first one: lay the board down as a mirror image of how it will go into the car, spray it, spray most of the area of the mat, then when the glue becomes tacky, simply line it up at the leading edge and flip it onto the mat. The mat is way too hard to try and place onto the board.....

Step 5: Cut off excess mat from corners and such

Step 6: Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the backs of the boards.

So far it's working out well. Able to slide stuff around easily and have them not move around while I drive. I haul a lot of instruments and deal in vintage furniture. I am always loading and unloading so this will make my life much easier.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 PM
It's interesting... what do you carry that would make you worry about the existing lining/carpet? It must be easier to slide things in, for sure.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
All of those successive loads just increase the chance of scuffing the carpet liner. Plus it helps protect it from getting dirty. Should definitely help it hold some more resale value. Same reason you might by all season floor mats or the OEM cargo protector for the back.

And yeah, sliding things in and out is a breeze.