2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Clutch problem at high altitude

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Clutch problem at high altitude

Hello:

I have a '09 Fit with a manual transmission. I have a problem with the clutch pedal when I drive up a mountain. Once I get above about 7000 ft., it feels like there is more freeplay in the pedal (i.e., I need to push farther before feeling resistance from the pedal), and then there is only a little room left before the pedal can't go farther. This seems to get worse the higher I go. By the time I got to 9,300 ft., I had to push the pedal almost all the way to the floor before there was any resistance, and the clutch disengaged just enough to let me change gears. As I was driving back down, things seemed to start to get better. When I got home (at sea level), the clutch pedal still felt a bit softer than usual, but this morning the clutch felt the same as it usually does. Thus, it seems like it takes a little time for the pedal to recover. This is the second time this has happened, but this is a new 'feature' of the car. The clutch fluid level is full and hasn't changed, and there is no sign of a leak around the clutch master cylinder. The drive from home to 7000 ft takes about 1/2 an hour at highway speeds, then from 7000 to 9300 takes about 15 minutes to go that last 6 miles.

I have a few hypotheses as to the cause:
1) Altitude. The clutch doesn't like the high altitude. Once I get home, it's ok after a little while.
2) The cold. It's almost freezing at 9,300 (even here in Hawaii). If true, the pedal looses response when it gets cold outside, then it's ok again once things warm back up.
3) Steep hills. It's a long, steep climb to 9,300. I don't think the actual incline is the problem, since going down hill doesn't immediately solve the problem.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Cheers
Mike

Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
If the Fit's clutch is hydraulic action, its time to change the fluid, its normal Dot 3 brake fluid and if you live in a humid area the fluid accumulates alot of water (brake fluid is designed to do that). That water might be freezing or condensing in the lines from the altitude causing it to stick. That also means you should do a brake fluid flush as well. Try doing a clutch fluid flush with fresh dot 3 or 4 fluid.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
One theory, water boiling in the system. At altitude, water boils at a much lower temperature. A working clutch may not heat the fluid as much as the brakes, but it still heats up. Once a bubble is formed, gas is compressible, unlike liquid, causing the problem. A fluid flush is the recommendation. Another theory is that there is a little air in the system and it needs to be bled. A small bubble at sea level will expand at altitude, possibly resulting in the problem. Again, the fix is to flush and bleed the system.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
I live at 4500 feet elevation, and I've never seen any trouble driving up the canyons (which get up to around 7000). I'd suspect it's an issue requiring maintenance.

If it was your brakes, I'd say you just got 'em too hot and they were starting to fade. I once had a clutch fade on an old Datsun on a hot summer day, in stop and go traffic. Were you riding/slipping the clutch a lot going up and down the hills?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi, did you solve the problem? I had the exact same issue with my Subaru Legacy up the ski field this weekend. (ski field is approx. 5400ft and -3 Celsius) Now we're back at sea level and 16 Degrees celsius the clutch is working fine. Im guessing just bleed/change clutch fluid and she'll be sweet?

Cheers

Last edited by NZben; 07-14-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing it was fluid related and just needed the flush. Likely Air in the lines as stated above. (Not sure if the OP is still around as it was a 1-time post back in Jan).

The Fit's clutch works fine down to -15F and starts to get firm as you get closer to -25. That said, the distance in engagement of the clutch doesn't change with temperature, it just becomes harder to press.

~SB