2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0420 HONDA - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM
P0420 HONDA - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

Hi guys Sorry to ask u all again~ haha
I got this engine check light on one fine day. I reset it by removing the positive batt and connect again. and 1 week later i got again on midnight and went to a midnight garage. checked and was displayed ABS prob.....Reset~ & the guy called me to drive and brake and drive and brake to see if there's any check light again. Nope everything is fine, i paid and drive off. On the way i was wondering does he really check properly. Anyway there's no check light. Another 3 days later it came again. I went to my friend's workshop in the morning to check. it came out P0420 HONDA - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. He scan for 3 times and also test drive while scanning each of the wheel if theres any ABS problem! Then i know tat F*CKER didnt check properly tat midnight! He did a reset for me again and if the check light still come again must the P0420. Ok mm... its maybe the O2 sensor. Or the worst will be the catalytic converter to change. So i was asking if its catalytic to change. Is it changing the honeycomb inside or the whole thing? The converter seems to be expensive to change all.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by inspire007
Hi guys Sorry to ask u all again~ haha
I got this engine check light on one fine day. I reset it by removing the positive batt and connect again. and 1 week later i got again on midnight and went to a midnight garage. checked and was displayed ABS prob.....Reset~ & the guy called me to drive and brake and drive and brake to see if there's any check light again. Nope everything is fine, i paid and drive off. On the way i was wondering does he really check properly. Anyway there's no check light. Another 3 days later it came again. I went to my friend's workshop in the morning to check. it came out P0420 HONDA - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. He scan for 3 times and also test drive while scanning each of the wheel if theres any ABS problem! Then i know tat F*CKER didnt check properly tat midnight! He did a reset for me again and if the check light still come again must the P0420. Ok mm... its maybe the O2 sensor. Or the worst will be the catalytic converter to change. So i was asking if its catalytic to change. Is it changing the honeycomb inside or the whole thing? The converter seems to be expensive to change all.

You have to change out the whole precat on the manifold. The honeycomb is not removable, they are fused into the manifold pipe and cannot be manually changed. I see you are not in the USA so i dont know if you're has the same engine or exhaust type but i would assume similar. Also depending on mileage and country sometimes there is longer warranty on emission related equipment.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info dude. Hopefully changing of senor will solve the problem.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi guys again.... it's been awhile since my P0420 check light. Things haven't been solve.
Been thinking and decided to change the Cat. But there's actually 2 cat? one is from the manifold behind and one is below. For P0420 code, which cat to change? Anyway im from singapore and i'm driving a 2008 1.3auto Ge6. hope to have some ans from here. Thankssss!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Anyone can help? Just need to order the right one.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Brothers and sister anyone know? Which cat to change any experience person here? Front or below one? Thanks a million!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Banned
If you have a GD it's the front one the only one LOL.

If you are talking about the O-2 sensor and your car is from singapore again the one in the front closest to the header.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:39 AM
Ok bro thanks

Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
its maybe the O2 sensor. Or the worst will be the catalytic converter to change. So i was asking if its catalytic to change. Is it changing the honeycomb inside or the whole thing? The converter seems to be expensive to change all.
P0420 is a Cat Failure. You need to replace the foremost (Front) cat. The rear cat is unmonitored. I believe the GDs front and rear cats are one piece, can anyone confirm that?The P0420 has nothing to do with the function of the rear O2 sensor. There is another code for the rear O2 sensor/heater.

You will have to change the whole pipe/cat, you can not replace the internal "honeycomb" material.

They are expensive because the "honeycomb" is made up of precious metals.

How many miles?

Last edited by De36; 09-17-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi De36. it's around 60k miles since i got it. now is 78k miles....... but funny thing is i was using hurricane stainless steel air filter, after that i changed to paper filter. It really last longer for my check light to on. Anyway i only change buddyclub throttle body and a muffler. Now i just wondering for my GE model. A p0420 code is the cat on the front engine or below of the car.... if 2 change it will cost me a bomb!!!! hahaha

Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 AM
oh ya btw im from singapore. take look
it's a may article. now is sep our COE is 77k SGD = around 59k USD hahah
so a new honda fit is New Honda Fit Car Information Singapore - sgCarMart 118k SGD = 90k USD!!!!! 1.3cc entry fit! just sharing how to feed a car in singapore......... and only can drive 10yrs only....... sign..........

Old 09-17-2013, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Hi De36. it's around 60k miles since i got it. now is 78k miles....... but funny thing is i was using hurricane stainless steel air filter, after that i changed to paper filter. It really last longer for my check light to on. Anyway i only change buddyclub throttle body and a muffler. Now i just wondering for my GE model. A p0420 code is the cat on the front engine or below of the car.... if 2 change it will cost me a bomb!!!! hahaha
Do you have a GE or GD?

Cat life is around 100k miles or more. The hurricane air filter probably didn't cause it. Most likely its the gas (octane). Is the gas poor quality there?

WOW I can't believe that cars are so expensive there. $90k for a FIT? Come to the U.S., for the price of a Fit you can have a Nissan GT-R.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm driving a 1.3 Ge6. I'm pumping a 95 petrol. And a Nissan gtr in Singapore is 499k sgd which means around 380k usd!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Banned
Sounds like you are getting a MIL because of your mods NOT a faulty cat. On those models you need to move the front O2 sensor OUT MORE FROM THE AIRFLOW by using an adapter also called a sparkplug adapter.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 AM
MIL meaning? Mmm... U mean kinda unscrew the o2 sensor out more?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'm driving a 1.3 Ge6. I'm pumping a 95 petrol. And a Nissan gtr in Singapore is 499k sgd which means around 380k usd!
95 Octane!!! Geez! That's not good to run on a stock engine. That's your problem. 95 is hard to burn without higher compression like a turbo or high compression pistons. What is happening is your engine can't burn all the fuel and it loaded up the cat with fuel. Once the cat got hot enough it melted inner the cat. Its the cat behind the engine.

Start running 87/89 Octane or whatever you have that is "normal fuel".

Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM
mmm.... in singapore we have this 3 types of petrol. We call 92ron 95ron 98ron. the octane, i not really sure abt it. im bumping this esso synergy 5000.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by De36
95 Octane!!! Geez! That's not good to run on a stock engine. That's your problem. 95 is hard to burn without higher compression like a turbo or high compression pistons. What is happening is your engine can't burn all the fuel and it loaded up the cat with fuel. Once the cat got hot enough it melted inner the cat. Its the cat behind the engine.

Start running 87/89 Octane or whatever you have that is "normal fuel".

AH NO WAY...... this is incorrect where did you come up with this?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Banned
MIL meaning? Mmm... U mean kinda unscrew the o2 sensor out more?

Yes that is it exactly. It needs to move out from the pipe so it samples less of the exhuast flow.

You can either cut out the bung and re-weld it out further OR it is much easier to just use the screw in spark plug adapter.

Search the web for "sparkplug adapter" and you will see it is just a chunk of metal with threads on one end that fit into the pipe and the other end has threads that the sensor screws into so it is moved out.

Don't be put off by the name all it does is move the sensor out more it is made to use on spark plugs but the threads are just right to use for this mod.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Noted with thanks buddy! Seen it at eBay. Any idea what's the size of it?

Last edited by inspire007; 09-19-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: P0420 HONDA - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1