2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I'm putting a H/O alternator in my 2010 Honda Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
In my reading all the info. on fitfreak since 2006 concerning stereo installation and H/O alternators, this has never been accomplished.

I sincerely hope that your new high output alternator works as advertized. I am the fitfreak member who challenged the "stereo guru" who was trying to sell the Tenney product. His presentation in his ad sounded to me like a complete scam. That doesn't mean that it WAS a scam- it sounded that way.

First, he had not tried it. Second, he was selling at a "really cheap price". Third, he said that it is guaranteed to work in a Fit because it was sold with a "lifetime warranty". A warranty doesn't mean that it will work in a Fit.

So, the facts: Most manufacturers honor warranties with the original purchaser. If that purchaser sells the item, the manufacturer considers it to be used and will not honor the warranty with the second owner.

High output alternators have been discussed (why, oh why can't we get these for Fits?) ever since the first USDM Fit hit the streets. According to many other "stereo gurus", the max output of the alternator is limited by the ELD. That was accepted as fact. So, all of a sudden, it is not true? A miracle happened?

The original ad sounded so fishy, just like late night infomercials for hair growth pills and "male enhancements", I had to challenge the seller and do not regret doing so.

If you are successful and this thing goes in without problems and works well enough to justify the price and the effort, I will be very happy to see that posted in the forums. That still doesn't get around the warranty issue concerning a SECOND buyer (concerning the ad, not your own purchase).

The ad guy's attitude of "Who the hell are you? I've been doing this kind of work for years. I know what I am doing! Tenney makes great quality stuff and it has a lifetime warranty!" just made this sound "too good to be true" and very likely NOT TRUE. The fact that he is such an expert but didn't even try to install the thing to verify that it actually works in a Fit was the main reason for my objection to his ad. I don't regret my posts at all.

So, I am subscribed to your thread hoping to see good news for Fit owners who need higher alternator output. If yours works, then maybe he can sell his.
And to answer your question YET AGAIN, the H/O alternator from Tenney has an EXTERNAL regulator in which the ELD is NOT used. The factory 4 pin harness is NOT used either. So the charging and regulation of voltage is NOT controlled by the ELD any further.

I stated this a couple of times, and yet you seemed to have a hard time grasping the concept of this H/O alternator not even being in the same signal chain as the original factory alternator. The only possible side effect to doing this "could" be a battery light indicator lighting up on the dash, however the OP has not stated if that is the case or not.

Oh and for clarity my first car audio competition was in 1991, and I have been involved and active in the industry since 1989, so yes I have PLENTY of experience in this industry and in car audio so I know a little bit when it comes to topics like these, but again you failed to grasp that concept. And yet you never posted ANYTHING to back up your "I don't believe it" attitude towards the whole thing.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
And to answer your question YET AGAIN, the H/O alternator from Tenney has an EXTERNAL regulator in which the ELD is NOT used. The factory 4 pin harness is NOT used either. So the charging and regulation of voltage is NOT controlled by the ELD any further.

I stated this a couple of times, and yet you seemed to have a hard time grasping the concept of this H/O alternator not even being in the same signal chain as the original factory alternator. The only possible side effect to doing this "could" be a battery light indicator lighting up on the dash, however the OP has not stated if that is the case or not.

Oh and for clarity my first car audio competition was in 1991, and I have been involved and active in the industry since 1989, so yes I have PLENTY of experience in this industry and in car audio so I know a little bit when it comes to topics like these, but again you failed to grasp that concept. And yet you never posted ANYTHING to back up your "I don't believe it" attitude towards the whole thing.
Raant all you want about how important you are- I don't care. Your sales ad looked like millions of other scams. You still don't address the warranty issue on a re-sold item. Most manufacturers only honor warranties to the original buyer, unless that buyer is a dealer and reseller.

The OP of this thread established credibility for this alternator. You didn't. The fact that this mod had never been done before and your screams that the "lifetime warranty" was proof that it would work is what made me not believe you. A second-hand warranty that is likely not to be honored is not proof of anything. Your magic warranty didn't provide you with the necessary threads in the bottom bolt hole, did it? Your buyer won't be able to install it without the missing threads, and will either have to tap the hole to fit a larger dia. bolt, or live without the needed bolt. Or, he will have to test the viability of the second-hand warranty and ask Tenney for another alternator in exchange.

So, stop your screams and run your ad again. Now that it has been established (by someone else) that this is a viable route to better power output, it should sell quickly considering the posters who said that they need a new alternator anyway.

GLWS!

Last edited by Triskelion; 02-17-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I know you're running more power, but I just don't want to put that much strain on the stock alternator. Multiple batteries on a stock alt are only good to a point, so I figured I'd just get the alt out of the way, THEN worry about getting more power and batteries. With only the two batteries I have, I don't go below 13v while playing full tilt at idle, so I'd the alt has safely paved my way for more power/batteries in the future.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Raant all you want about how important you are- I don't care. Your sales ad looked like millions of other scams. You still don't address the warranty issue on a re-sold item. Most manufacturers only honor warranties to the original buyer, unless that buyer is a dealer and reseller.

The OP of this thread established credibility for this alternator. You didn't. The fact that this mod had never been done before and your screams that the "lifetime warranty" was proof that it would work is what made me not believe you. A second-hand warranty that is likely not to be honored is not proof of anything. Your magic warranty didn't provide you with the necessary threads in the bottom bolt hole, did it? Your buyer won't be able to install it without the missing threads, and will either have to tap the hole to fit a larger dia. bolt, or live without the needed bolt. Or, he will have to test the viability of the second-hand warranty and ask Tenney for another alternator in exchange.

So, stop your screams and run your ad again. Now that it has been established (by someone else) that this is a viable route to better power output, it should sell quickly considering the posters who said that they need a new alternator anyway.

GLWS!

You know I would love to reply as to how much of a moron you sound like but honestly it isn't even worth it. I was not running an AD for Tenney alternators nor was I scamming anyone. And if you continue to imply that I am a scammer I am sure the admins would have something to say about that.

As for the bolt issue, it looks like the OP got it to work and kudos to him for doing so, however I didn't have the luxury of time to deal with it. As for the warranty, you can choose to believe me or not I really do not care, the OP has the same warranty I had and Tenney gives that warranty to anyone who uses his product.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Not sure what happened here....but I don't care. The alternator works, so just be happy that there is now a viable high output alternator option for the Fit. And to answer your question, Fit4spl, the battery light indicator does not come on.

I've contacted Tenney about the minor belt and bottom bolt issues, and I'm sure they'll be more than willing to either adjust their design to accommodate for it, or at least let the buyer know that they will need to get a bigger bolt and belt beforehand.

As for the rattling noise, I'm fairly certain that it's not because of the alternator. We might've knocked a bolt loose, the belt we got might be too tight....we're still not sure. But when I find out what's causing it, I'll let y'all know so that we can all be 100% certain that this alternator is worth buying.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
clean up your wiring!

Is this same place for the alt capable of modifying the stock alternator to produce an additional 30-40 amps or did honda request the alternator pretty much near 100% capability?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 AM
No idea, man. But even if you could modify the stock alt, an external regulator would be needed to bypass the ELD, so that would be pointless.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
Did this have a noticeable effect on MPG?