2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

VSA & Check Engine light on 2013 <5,000 miles!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
VSA & Check Engine light on 2013 <5,000 miles!

I Barely have 5,000 miles on new 2013 FIT so after my first free oil change and maintenance check from my Honda Dealer (which location will remain anonymous for now) My engine light came on due to not starting the first time on a very cold day. After starting fine a second try by holding the ignition a half second longer, the engine light went off.

Then a couple of days later, my VSA light indicator came on due to slightly slipping on a patch of ice on a turn along w/ the engine light. So after a bringing to the Honda dealer, before even diagnosing, the mechanic tells/asks me, "the check engine light came on after you got gas right?" I said no, it came on after the VSA light came on after slipping on ice" He goes on and on, how I put the wrong regular gas, which of course is not covered under warranty and tells me he has to keep it overnight. They rent me a car through Enterprise saying it's covered under Honda.

The next day, he tells me it will be over $900 for an exhaust/engine system cleaning. Once I tell him that I would like to take it somewhere else for a second opinion, right away he's offering to lower the price to $750 and then again to $600. WTF? Why didn't he just quote me the lowest price?

Anyways, I decline the service and then they tell me I have to pay $180 just for the diagnosis, and I have to also pay for the car rental, because I decided not to go through w/ the repair - Unbelievable! (I could've easily had someone pick me up if they would've been upfront w/ me about not fully covering the car rental).

Long story short, it's been 2-3 weeks w/ both indicators lights off and now out of nowhere after starting my car both the VSA and Check engine lights come on again. I'm definitely weary about bringing it back to the dealership... Please help... Is there anyone that has had similar issues? Btw, other than the lights being on, I don't notice any kind of loss of power or misfiring of the engine. Even still I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM
No clue about the engine light and the VSA on, b push the button. Oil changed @ 5000. Find a new dealer.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
I tried holding the VSA button to turn it off for more than 5 sec. according to the manual, but doesn't go off. Most definitely finding a new dealer...

Thanks

Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
what dealership is this? i'll make sure i stay away.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM
The VSA light will flash on/off when the car goes through ice or other slippery conditions. that is normal. I haven't seen the check engine light come on except during the start cycle. THe VSA light will also come on and go out during the start cycle.

The gas you use shouldn't cause the lights to come on unless you get gas with water. Most service stations have a filter in the pump.

Clifton

Last edited by flash75; 02-19-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
My VSA lights up like a Christmas tree on our country roads in the winter. If the check engine light came on it stored a code. Obviously the dealer scanned it for a code and knows what happened. They probably fixed whatever it was (if anything) and billed Honda for the warranty. They're just trying to get into your knickers and double dip. You know there's nothing wrong at 5,000 miles that they can't find and fix.

Cheers.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh man find a new dealership and please post up the one you went to so that everyone on here can avoid them at all costs.

All of that should be covered under warranty and they're just being assholes/trying to steal your money. The car has 5,000 miles on it they should have taken a look at it in good faith. Call Honda Corporate as well just to raise the flag on them.

Unfortunately I don't know what or if anything is wrong with it. All of the lights on the dash should come on for a second when you turn the key. That's normal.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 AM
I sure hope that the dealership is not Marin Honda because they have always been very up front with me about eveything.

Give them a try if its near your home . . . . . .

Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
my vsa turn on as soon as i left the lot then they fit it next morning no problem

Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by B Fit
I sure hope that the dealership is not Marin Honda because they have always been very up front with me about eveything.

Give them a try if its near your home . . . . . .
Given that the OP has listed their location in Edison, New Jersey, and that Marin Honda is apparently in California, there is at least a slight chance that the dealership in question is a different one.