2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to disable VSA (traction and stability control) without TPM sensors installed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
How to disable VSA (traction and stability control) without TPM sensors installed.

I want to get verification from a few people before I call this 100% true, so please give it a try and post back!

It's actually really simple. Disconnect the VSA switch. Yep, that's it! Stupidly simple, isn't it?

Pull the panel by your left knee (in a left hand drive model, the handle is just under the switches) and pop the connector off the back of the VSA switch. You have to drive a bit (half a mile maybe? maybe speed related? more testing needs to be done) but the VSA light should light up, indicating an error in the VSA system and disabling it.

A huge thanks to forum member jibberjabbs for making me take a second look at this, I thought it ended up not working but he informed me I just hadn't driven far enough!

I actually discovered this last October or so when I was changing the clutch master cylinder. I had all the panels out so I could adjust the peddle and noticed on one of my test drives the VSA error light came on, a quick test later and I verified the system wasn't working. Though after further (short!) test drives the light stopped coming on, so I thought it had stopped working. Turns out I just wasn't driving far enough! I am kicking myself for spending the $100 to have the TPMS sensors switched over to my snow tires at the beginning of this winter now! Oh well, live and learn.

Since you have to drive a distance after each start with this, there is a way to turn off the VSA right now if you are stuck in the snow or something. Disconnect the ABS pump (big connector right on the pump, can't miss it. Make sure the car is off!). This also disables the ABS and brake balancing system though, so do not drive any distance like this!

I am so excited! This leaves just one little gripe left and I have my Fit just the way I like it. Sadly that last gripe is the Rev hang, which can't be fixed without a reflash. Oh well.

Please let me know if this works for you! I can only say it works on my 2011 Base 5MT at the moment. Also, this may work on other models! Try it out!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Subscribed,

is the vsa error message different from when you disable vsa normally in a car with all sensors installed and working?

also how did you test to see if traction control was not kicking in.
I dont have to deal with snow but I plan to get new wheels and I really do not want to swap over tpms sensors.

The vsa is not to intrusive but I normally turn it off because I dont need the nannies.I may test this out because I have a spare on now and cannot disable vsa.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zilla8
Subscribed,

is the vsa error message different from when you disable vsa normally in a car with all sensors installed and working?

also how did you test to see if traction control was not kicking in.
I dont have to deal with snow but I plan to get new wheels and I really do not want to swap over tpms sensors.

The vsa is not to intrusive but I normally turn it off because I dont need the nannies.I may test this out because I have a spare on now and cannot disable vsa.
The system turns on the traction control light (the one that blinks when the traction control is doing something) solid when the system is not working. When you use the button to turn it off normally it shows the same thing but with the word "off" under it.

Testing was easy, find some gravel and punch it!

Please test it out and let me know! like I said, I would love to hear from a few others to make sure this works all the time!

And yes, the nannies bug me as well. It actually was intrusive with the stock tires on but they were just that terrible. After replacing them it hasn't been such a big deal.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by x_25

Testing was easy, find some gravel and punch it!
that made me I will give it a try but with my A/T and this year round 80 degree California weather I rarely see traction control in action.

I also have 205 Kumho ecsta 4x that grip like glue but the gravel should do the trick

Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zilla8
that made me I will give it a try but with my A/T and this year round 80 degree California weather I rarely see traction control in action.

I also have 205 Kumho ecsta 4x that grip like glue but the gravel should do the trick
I run 205/50 General G-Max AS03. I am not convinced a stock Fit can do a burn out on dry tarmack with 205's on it.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 AM
MPA
According to this DIY you can swap the clutch master cylinder to get rid of the GDC/rev hang

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...elete-diy.html

Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MPA
According to this DIY you can swap the clutch master cylinder to get rid of the GDC/rev hang

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...elete-diy.html
I swapped the CMC last october (which is when I discovered this little quirk). That modification doesn't affect the rev hang, just makes it a bit more bareable. The rev hang is a function of the engine control unit and part of the emitions stuff.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just a quick update, on my summer tires now for nearly a week and the system turns off after just a short bit of driving (half a mile?) still.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 PM
$100 to switch the sensors over? damn! Discount Tire Co charges $5 to dismount, then another $5 to remount tires. The valve change is as simple as unscrewing and perhaps using a new O ring depending on TMPS sensor mounting style inside the rim

So whole job is $40 plus whatever they wanan charge to swap valve stems and sensors

Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Not anyone tested this? Ill do it next sunny day comes along and let you know how it go OP
2010 base manual

Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
I have got some further testing done on my 2011 Sport. I put my summer wheels on, that do not have sensors. I drove for about 20 miles before the "TPMS" indicator came on. Then I unplugged the VSA overide switch. The VSA indicator(car with squiggly lines) came on after about 10 miles and has stayed on (about 200 miles so far). I was able to spin the tires without traction control kicking in at a couple stop signs. Then I look a hard left while accelerating from another stop and the traction control kicked in? So I don't understand this error mode completly yet. Seems like I can spin them in a stait line but not while turning? Looks like I have a couple rainy days here so I can get in some more "testing"!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting, it's weird that your VSA is still somewhat working. As far as I could tell, out on the track yesterday, mine was not coming on at all, but I was more concentrating on not crashing since it was my first time on a track (the Fit did wonderfully btw, beind driven in second/third for 60 miles and flinging around corners and no complaints from it).

I will try making a hard turn and punching it.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 AM
I never got around to testing this out but I'm still interested in this experiment.
I'm able to disable vsa once again now that I replaced my tire.

I had the spare on for a few days and the tpms light was on and I could not turn off vsa.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh, damn, i should've saw this thread yesterday since i too swapped to summers with no tpms and was hoping to find a way to disable vsa on my '12 GE MT.

i was doing a stereo install yesterday and had that lower panel pulled down while routing my BT mic.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting, it's weird that your VSA is still somewhat working. As far as I could tell, out on the track yesterday, mine was not coming on at all, but I was more concentrating on not crashing since it was my first time on a track (the Fit did wonderfully btw, beind driven in second/third for 60 miles and flinging around corners and no complaints from it).

i think there might be two systems that are part of vsa. one is the simple traction control, then the other part is yaw control.

honestly i want both controls turned off, but even if traction control only, that will be a big over not being able to turn off either one.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member

This is encouraging news! Track testing is probably a better idea.

I could add that when I got the traction control to kick in, it was just a short distance/time away from starting the car. Potentialy the car may need a short amount of time/distane/speed to enter the error mode from startup.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs

I could add that when I got the traction control to kick in, it was just a short distance/time away from starting the car. Potentialy the car may need a short amount of time/distane/speed to enter the error mode from startup.

or could it have been the rev limiter? the ecu will not allow the engine to redline while cold.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
.... As far as I could tell, out on the track yesterday, mine was not coming on at all, but I was more concentrating on not crashing since it was my first time on a track (the Fit did wonderfully btw, beind driven in second/third for 60 miles and flinging around corners and no complaints from it)....
Which track did you go to? More info...

Originally Posted by kenchan
..... honestly i want both controls turned off, but even if traction control only, that will be a big over not being able to turn off either one.
The ATEQ Quickset (~$150), would've allowed you program your ECU and swap wheel sets with ease... ..... then you can turn VSA on/off whenever you want

Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs

That may have had something to do with it. I need to drive a bit (half mile, mile?) Before the system error light comes on. I will test it today after work, I have one road that makes a sharp (less than 90*) left into traffic, uphill. I can spin the inside tire there regularly.

As far as the track testing, every time I have had the ASM kick in, it's been fairly violent about it, and the car did nothing unexpected/violent on the track.

Originally Posted by FitStir
Which track did you go to? More info...
Raceway park in oldbridge! Went to the road course school to get my track day license there. I have no hope of keeping up with the regulars as such an inexperianced track driver, in fact, the idea of running with those guys scares the **** out of me.

The body roll is bad on a base!

As a side note, I was expecting to see my first single digit fuel economy numbers. The fit refuses to do that though! 18.5! For the 60 miles I was on track!

Last edited by x_25; 04-08-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir

The ATEQ Quickset (~$150), would've allowed you program your ECU and swap wheel sets with ease... ..... then you can turn VSA on/off whenever you want
hey fitstir. yah, i remember you posting that, thanks. did ATEQ ever come up with a mac-based software? im a mac user at home so dont want to have to borrow my wife's laptop each time...

Quick Reply: How to disable VSA (traction and stability control) without TPM sensors installed.