2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

M/T rpm doesn't drop enough when shifting

Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
M/T rpm doesn't drop enough when shifting

When shifting my m/t Fit (2013 Base) when you push the clutch in and let off on the gas, the rpm doesn't drop down right away. I know they do this on purpose for emissions. Years ago, when they started doing this, you could adjust it, and get the rpm to drop.
Does anyone know if this is adjustable? It would be a gas saver if it was.
I can't see that it would be good for the clutch. If you shift even kind of fast, the rpm doesn't drop enough, and there has to be clutch slippage. Slippage means wear.
Thanks for any info.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you'll get use to it by how you apply throttle.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
you'll get use to it by how you apply throttle.

EDIT: was going to try to explain how, but I gave up because my foot just does it and IDK what it does lol

As far as I can tell there's plenty of people with high mileage on the stock clutch and they didn't even have to modify the factory setup to achieve it.

No way to eliminate it on GE right now, waiting on Hondata to release tuning tool (not yet).

Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
3 options:

1. Shift slower
2. Kinda like #1. Get used to the throttle hang and adjust your timing with the gas pedal
3. Change to lighter flywheel

Possibly unrelated, the Hondata reflash supposedly has the option of reducing or eliminating the throttle hang. I haven't had any experience with it personally. And it's only available for the 07-08 US Fits at the moment.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Get off the throttle about a second or so before you push the clutch pedal. The RPM will drop faster.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned
Try a Throttle controller. Look in here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/merc...roller-27.html

Old 04-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Throttle controller doesn't help with this. It gives the illusion that it helps, but it's not.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, for now you just need to live with it. Longer shifts.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Throttle controller doesn't help with this. It gives the illusion that it helps, but it's not.

If they give the illusion that they work isn't that going to cure his problem? Like if he thinks it's working and now he forgets about it and gets on with enjoying his Fit didn't that "solve" his problem?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
If they give the illusion that they work isn't that going to cure his problem? Like if he thinks it's working and now he forgets about it and gets on with enjoying his Fit didn't that "solve" his problem?
Only if he's easily fooled.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
Haha, that would depend on whether or not it fools him.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Is this throttle hang you guys speak of different then the rev hang?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Can someone explain how this is a problem?

IMO it keeps the engine in its "power" band and makes driving this thing all that more enjoyable.

But then again I'm not exactly putting around conserving gas.

And maybe that's the issue?

It's fun to finally have a car that's fun to drive at such low speeds.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Call it what you like. Throttle hang, rev hang, whatever.
You let off on the gas and the revs stay the same for a fraction of a second.

Keeping it in it's power band? Thats fine and are racing, and expect to wear out parts. The only problem is, it's much easier on the clutch and transmission syncros, if the rpm is allowed to drop when you let off on the throttle, as you are shifting.

On my new Fit, I've been getting 35 -36 mpg around town, and wonder how much it would go up, if the damn engine would respond to the gas pedal.

Maybe someone will have an accident, and sue Honda, because they let off on the gas, and the car kept going! That might wake them up.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Is this throttle hang you guys speak of different then the rev hang?
Same thing.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by over40pirate
Call it what you like. Throttle hang, rev hang, whatever.
You let off on the gas and the revs stay the same for a fraction of a second.

Keeping it in it's power band? Thats fine and are racing, and expect to wear out parts. The only problem is, it's much easier on the clutch and transmission syncros, if the rpm is allowed to drop when you let off on the throttle, as you are shifting.

On my new Fit, I've been getting 35 -36 mpg around town, and wonder how much it would go up, if the damn engine would respond to the gas pedal.

Maybe someone will have an accident, and sue Honda, because they let off on the gas, and the car kept going! That might wake them up.
I don't think the MPG would improve without the throttle hang. It's providing air for the time it takes to finish burning fuel already in the manifold. If the throttle slammed shut (as it would on a non Drive-By-Wire throttle) the unburned fuel would get burned in the catalytic converter or pass out the tailpipe.

I don't think it will cause accidents either, but my dreams of having a fun MT car when I test drove the Fit evaporated. It felt clumsy at best. Annoying at worst. I quickly opted for an auto. Cheer up though, a lot of reviews state the Fit's MT is one of the best in its group. Some even compare it with the S2000. I don't know if they're doing leisurely shifts when they make these comparisons. Probably not.

Backing off of the gas in anticipation of shifting might be the solution, but it'd take some relearning to deprogram muscle memory.

The noise about Electronic Throttle Controllers (ETCs) is about 3rd party black boxes that connect between the gas pedal sensor and the ECU and make a parasitical power connection at the OBDII port. They either amplify or attenuate the signal from the gas pedal, causing the car to make more or less throttle than your foot expects. People have fun with this as it seems their cars are suddenly more powerful. The ETCs cannot remove the ECU's programmed throttle hang, no matter the signal from the gas pedal. And putting some overpriced Chinese circuit in between the gas pedal and the ECU seems ill-advised. And the gas pedal is an ETC by any definition. Just practice foot modulation.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
If the throttle slammed shut (as it would on a non Drive-By-Wire throttle) the unburned fuel would get burned in the catalytic converter or pass out the tailpipe.
Unburned fuel?????

When operating a normal car, when you "slam" the throttle shut, when shifting, the engine goes into idle mode, and continues to burn fuel, at a greatly reduced rate. Just like the Fit does, after a fraction of a second.

I can see myself in a few years, after mastering the shifting on my Fit, then driving a friends manual shift vehicle, and every time I let off on the gas early, having the car slow down, because the engine responded to the gas pedal.
Does this lag happen on previous years?
Still love the Fit!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM
It's called injector overrun, stock overrun in all gears is 40ms

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Unburned fuel?????

When operating a normal car, when you "slam" the throttle shut, when shifting, the engine goes into idle mode, and continues to burn fuel, at a greatly reduced rate. Just like the Fit does, after a fraction of a second.
Older throttles have an idle-air control valve and the throttle literally slams shut if the gas pedal is released. The fuel already in the manifold will have insufficient oxygen to burn well. (really old throttles have a dashpot to slow throttle closing on carburetors, but this is more to avoid stalling than any concern about emissions). edit: I wonder if this feature is also to mitigate stalling on the Fit? Seems like overkill if it is.

DBW throttle bodies control idle using the throttle plate, and reduce emissions by closing it slower than called for by the pedal.

I can see myself in a few years, after mastering the shifting on my Fit, then driving a friends manual shift vehicle, and every time I let off on the gas early, having the car slow down, because the engine responded to the gas pedal.
Does this lag happen on previous years?
Still love the Fit!
By all accounts the first generation Fits also have this feature.

Last edited by Steve244; 04-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 PM
I purchased a 04 Mach1 mustang that was also a stick and I had the same complaint. I learned to live with it however here is the Mach 1s procedure for fixing the issue. No clue if this would work on the Fit but it appears that it has to do with the IAB valve.

Hanging/Slow dropping RPM FIX inside. - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M/T rpm doesn't drop enough when shifting