2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My Fit stock tire literally got torn!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:57 PM
My Fit stock tire literally got torn!!

Last night I was driving on 94 highway when suddenly car started to shake and I immediately pulled over. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, as the tire on the rear was completely TORN APART, on both sides. They're all stock tires and I have 10k miles on them. I'm very surprised as I always thought of Dunlop as a premium brand. I've ordered a Continental ContiProcontact Act as a replacement.

Now my questions are:
- Should I be worried about the rest of my tires? They're all Dunlop stock tires.
- Does Dunlop honor their warranty on manufacturer stock tires?

Thank you guys.

Name:  NXiW7Mt.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  100.6 KB

Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
My first stop would be a Dunlop dealer! They should warranty the tire.
Glad you are OK.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM
my tire warranty card says goodyear on it,

Go to the dealership and talk.

Talk to your insurance company about reimbursing you if you have a zero deductable

that tire should be free

Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wat psi were your running? were you carrying anything heavy?

glad to hear you weren't in an accident.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
wat psi were your running? were you carrying anything heavy?

glad to hear you weren't in an accident.

And not really... it was just me and a friend.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
I see that you're around the 10k mile mark with the tire... Did you have your car one year or less from this event?

If memory serves me right, this may be covered under your 1 year/12k mile warranty as a defective tire provided that there are no signs of curbing, previous cuts (from curbing), obvious tire over-inflation, etc of course. I'd recommend saving your pictures, noting your mileage when it happened (if you remember) and heading to Honda to get that addressed.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
I see that you're around the 10k mile mark with the tire... Did you have your car one year or less from this event?

If memory serves me right, this may be covered under your 1 year/12k mile warranty as a defective tire provided that there are no signs of curbing, previous cuts (from curbing), obvious tire over-inflation, etc of course. I'd recommend saving your pictures, noting your mileage when it happened (if you remember) and heading to Honda to get that addressed.
Yeah I have 10500 miles on it but sadly I've owned the car for 14 months, so that's out of the picture. However what I'm more worried about right now is whether I should trust the remaining three stock tires.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I can understand you being a bit leery about your remaining tires. What I would do get the tires' DOT codes and contact either Honda or a tire shop such as Discount Tire to see if it possible to tell if these were part of a defective batch or if you just happened to get one odd ball which separated.

To find the tire's DOT code, the FULL code will be located on the tire's sidewall and I believe it is a 12-digit code. Mind you, there are 2 DOT code locations but only 1 has the FULL DOT code (one DOT on each opposite [left/right] side of the tire). If you were to look at your picture you posted here of you holding the wheel and tire, it'll be in the 9 O'clock position (left of your arm) you'll be able to find the partial DOT code.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polyrhythmics
Yeah I have 10500 miles on it but sadly I've owned the car for 14 months, so that's out of the picture. However what I'm more worried about right now is whether I should trust the remaining three stock tires.
WHOA! This could've been a really really bad nightmare. Glad it turned out ok for you. I'd replace the whole set with something else other than what you have. With 10.5k mi on the tires, you should be able to get some reprieve one way (store) or another (manufacturer). Just my take. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Banned
Belt separation. Could have had a disastrous result. Glad nothing real bad came about because of this.

Ever run your tires low on air? That could be one cause besides the poor manufacturing.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Belt separation. Could have had a disastrous result. Glad nothing real bad came about because of this.

Ever run your tires low on air? That could be one cause besides the poor manufacturing.
Interesting that you mention it. The low-air pressure sign turned on around an hour before this happened. However the sensor is very sensitive -- to the level that it would turn on and back off depending on the temperature. So of course I didn't take it seriously.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
I had a similar situation with a Dunlop at around the same mileage. It was not as catastrophic but destroyed none the less. All of those Dunlops are now in used tire heaven (or maybe Hell) where they will not cause any more problems to anyone. I went with Yokohama ADVID Ascends. They are over twice the wear rating, Low Rolling Resistance, and made in the USA.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polyrhythmics
Interesting that you mention it. The low-air pressure sign turned on around an hour before this happened. However the sensor is very sensitive -- to the level that it would turn on and back off depending on the temperature. So of course I didn't take it seriously.
The TPMS lowpressure warning turns on around 25psi or so, when you're significantly below the suggested psi; it doesn't come on if you're just a few psi low.
I think the other poster maybe on the right track, that if you were seeing this light at all even if it turned on and off, you were driving with low pressure conditions which could have contributed to the premature failure.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
The TPMS lowpressure warning turns on around 25psi or so, when you're significantly below the suggested psi; it doesn't come on if you're just a few psi low.
I think the other poster maybe on the right track, that if you were seeing this light at all even if it turned on and off, you were driving with low pressure conditions which could have contributed to the premature failure.
Makes you wonder why Honda bothered to put the warning light in eh? If it comes on sporadically then yes the tire is severely under inflated and will in all probaility fail if you continue to run it. Geez.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry about your misfortune. I'd try and get some money for a,new set or a new set on discount even if they're out of warranty. Unfortunately they would probably have to be dunlops. I think it's worth a shot since they failed so near to the end of the warranty period.

About tire pressure: the pressure in the door jamb is a cold tire pressure. If you have been driving and you stop to measure the psi you must add from 4 to 6 psi. If you inflated a warm tire to 32, you would have been running at about 26 psi cold.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Makes you wonder why Honda bothered to put the warning light in eh? If it comes on sporadically then yes the tire is severely under inflated and will in all probaility fail if you continue to run it. Geez.
I'm not so sure about that perspective. It is the same scenario as should you stick in a low oil light or the so called "idiot light". By the time this light comes on you're already in trouble.

Blaming the light is like shooting the messenger for what I consider an operator's responsibility. Would you then rather not have the information at all so there is clearly nobody to blame but the operator?

But anyway, there is not really any debate over this. TPMS is required by US transportation law, so "idiots" get fair warning and reduce fuel waste.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM
i understand that the tpms can be finicky and come on for what seems like no reason. but in this, you choose to ignore the tpms light and kept driving on the highway for an hour on a tire that was losing air. the tire was damaged from being ran under inflated, not from a tire defect.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member

Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Before y'all start pointing fingers, plenty of millions of people drive on tires underinflated by 6 psi (not that it's correct to do so) and suffer no consequences. It might well be a very defective tire.

For that matter, we don't even know if the tire that shredded was underinflated at all, we just know that ONE of the four tires tripped the TPMS light.

Of course it's clearly not a good idea to drive for an hour when a tire is under-inflated.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
I never thought of low-air warning as a serious warning -- at least right upon the light turning on; more like something that affects your mpg and needs to be taken care of by the next few days.

I also checked the air pressure on the rest of the tires today: 28, 28, and 29.

Quick Reply: My Fit stock tire literally got torn!!