2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Color?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:43 PM
I'd go with white over the purple. The mods you can add to a white car look pretty cool, in my opinion, especially the Fit. Also, safety. Cars, as much fun as they are, are a utility and just generally dangerous. I'm choosing the Fit out of all the cars out there because its versatile inside, has the navigation stuff so I can stop messing with my phone while I drive, and its a cheap true cost of ownership. But really - utility and safety are key.

If you're paying thousands of dollars for a car, you should like it, and if color matters, I'd say its worth the effort to find out if it looks good in person and to do what you can to get it. And I'm also one for safety - gray cars, and black, too, are simply not as visible in poor driving conditions. I almost wish they didn't even make cars in those colors. I'm going tomorrow to trade in my 2010 CR-V for a 2013 Fit - I dislike the opal sage faded green color of my CR-V and feel its almost as unsafe as a gray car... and I'm hoping the Vortex Pearl Blue is something I like, because there are a lot of really nice looking blue cars on the road right now - I would like to be the driver of one. If its more of a navy, I will have to admit, I'll be disappointed and will go with red.

Last edited by DeltaBond; 07-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM
RAH
5 Year Member
As I said above, the jury is definitely still out on this issue of car safety. See the link I sited above:

Car colour and risk of car crash injury: population based case control study

in which it says: "We found a significant reduction in the risk of serious injury in silver cars compared with white cars ... The risk of a serious injury in yellow, grey, red, and blue cars was not significantly different from that in white cars." (I removed a lot of stat info in that quote. Look at the link for the whole thing).

I think it is a non-issue, IMHO. Get the color you like. As far as the Fit blue color, I liked it when I saw it on the lot. It is somewhat lighter than navy, so you might like it too, although it is still fairly dark.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 AM
I, personally, don't really go on car statistics as much as I do the cars that I tend to not see as well when I drive. It rains a lot where I live, and shiny silver is at least easier to see than any of the flatter shades of gray, but white seems to be plenty visible. I personally want to be more visible. There are a lot of unnecessary near misses and skidding that don't result in actual car crashes, but are still not something anyone wants to experience. Statistics is kinda tricky and not always accurate, so I just go on my own driving experience in my area. If you live somewhere that never really has rain, you might have a different experience.

I'm hopeful that I like that blue. I go this afternoon to check them out

Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 AM
I suspect cars are far more often "invisible" because of a lack of looking rather than a color that blends in.

Color selection is horribly boring for most cars these days. There are endless variations on black, grey, silver, and white...but if you want actual color pigments, good luck. (Interiors are even worse. I remember having red, blue, and green upholstery growing up. Now the choices are black, dark grey, and medium grey...if there is any choice offered.)

Old 07-05-2013, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RAH
says: "We found a significant reduction in the risk of serious injury in silver cars compared with white cars ... The risk of a serious injury in yellow, grey, red, and blue cars was not significantly different from that in white cars." (I removed a lot of stat info in that quote. Look at the link for the whole thing).

So, I think this should be only a very small factor in deciding what color to get.
But don't forget that the choice of color may be correlated with driver behavior. Just to hypothesize a bit: What if people who are boring choose things like Toyotas and silver paint because it's (in their mind) an excellent boring choice, and boring people also drive more slowly because they don't like cars or driving or speed ... and everyone else buys colors that excites them and drive in an excitable manner and get into more accidents?

I think having a visible car is important for safety. A dark grey, black, or green/brown car is just asking to not be seen immediately at a junction. White or red is where it's at; if you drive that in a safe manner on balance you should be safer than driving the same way in a dark grey car. Of course, if you buy a red car because you think it's going to make you safer to be visible and then you drive it like the people who like red cars normally drive, then you're going to completely cancel out any benefit of being more visible.

Just sayin' :P

Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Wow still at it huh?