2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuttering…

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Stuttering…

I'm not sure exactly how to describe this, but… my car stutters.
2009 Sport MT

When I head out and the car is still cold (not necessarily winter-cold, just… engine-cold, at the start of a drive), the car starts fine, but the first few motions from fully stopped to slow in 1st tend to stutter a fair bit. After the first few times, the engine is warmed up and seems to work better.

Of course, I can control the stuttering by pushing down on the gas more and being a little more graceful on releasing the clutch. It just seems that this has gotten worse recently, and I never really had to be *that* careful about starting motion in 1st.

Is this a clutch issue? I assume this is an expensive proposition to have the shop check/replace the clutch, labor-wise.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 AM
Banned
Many threads on this problem. Look for stalling and vibration while cold threads. Bottom line most people cure this problem with a valve clearance adjustment.

How many miles on it?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Apologies, I should have searched first.

My car is just hitting 30K right now. Pretty low for almost 5 years.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Low miles to need valve adjustment. A survey of other threads points to possibly a failing coil. Unless you go through a process of elimination, I'd take it to someone that can diagnose it.

Does it do this every time you start out? If it's intermittent, does it occur after running it for a short period where it didn't get up to operating temperature before letting it sit? This could result in the plugs fouling and running rough when you first start it.

Switching gas stations / brands could also solve the problem.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Start by pulling the coils/plugs and inspecting them. That should tell you something.

For 2009+ GE's the coil pack issue is less prevalent.

30K IS low for a valve adjustment, however a lot of when it needs adjustment is based on driving style. I'm at 75+K on my '08 GD and had to two. Still, to me this sounds like the most likely issue...

This is a HARD thing for a shop to diagnosis. On "Cold" start/run, intermittent, and no CEL light or codes thrown. I would highly encourage you to poke around first by pulling the plugs before even the 1/2-1hr diagnosis fee at a shop.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Please clarify: do you mean that the engine feels like it's misfiring when you start rolling from rest when it's cold, or are you experiencing "clutch chatter", where the clutch isn't grabbing smoothly & so feels like the engine & transaxle are shaking the car?

If it's the latter, I want to see the responses on the forum, 'cause both our cars do this to some degree -- the 2010 more than the 2009.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4thCornerFit
Please clarify: do you mean that the engine feels like it's misfiring when you start rolling from rest when it's cold, or are you experiencing "clutch chatter", where the clutch isn't grabbing smoothly & so feels like the engine & transaxle are shaking the car?
It feels like… not giving it enough gas, so it's about to stall. My response is to give it more gas and be more graceful about releasing the clutch.

In a way, it feels like I'm a newb, learning to drive manual for the first time… except I'm not a newb, and while the problem did not appear suddenly, it has become annoying recently.

Of the two possibilities you mentioned, I'd say… it's more like the first option.

To everyone: thanks for the ideas. I will start experimenting.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Mine also stutters occasionally when cold. It never happens when I wait for 30-40 seconds before taking off.

Never happens ever when the cold blue light is not lit

Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
It isnt coil failings or anything to do with the engine. Its either the clutch delay valve or the clutch itself. I know exactly what OP is talking about. It happens in cold weather occasionally, or in really humid conditions, like just prior to rain or fog. Short of deleting the delay valve or just being a little more careful with starts, there isnt really anything that's worth the money to try. Maybe a newer less aggressive clutch, but labor wouldn't make it worth it, imo.

There's a few threads around with guys who've gone past 100,000 with no problems. I'm not worried about it. If I get really bored some day I might try a delete of the delay valve.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:05 AM
Does the car have any mods? Services done? I'm still a little new to the fit but some of my guesses would be a dirty mass air flow meter, maybe some carbon build up? (My old car had 175k, and the same problem you described, i ran sea foam through the brake booster line and it fixed it) Possibly a failing o2 sensor. I don't think it would be a coil, you can usually feel a bad coil whenever the engine is running. A cel would give it away...