2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 AM
2009 Fit transmission

Had my 2009 transmission serviced at a non-Honda service center at 68,000 miles. Now at 83,000 miles the Honda dealer repair center says I need a new transmission because the ATF used was not Genuine Honda ATF and claims the Valvoline fluid used has destroyed my transmission. Any others experience something similar? Options? It's hard to stomach $4000 new transmission.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Your story is the first I've read along these lines. The owner's manual stresses using Honda ATF where it doesn't for engine-oil.

Ask for "good-will" consideration with the service manager at the Honda dealer. It might lower the amount.

You could take it up with Valvoline (do they have a guarantee?) or the shop that did the service, but @ 83K and 15K since it was serviced I think they'll just show you the door...

Let us know how it goes. You might want to consider a used or rebuilt transmission from a 3rd party shop if Honda doesn't help out.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I would try going back to the shop that serviced it. They should have known to use Honda ATF, so it's ultimately their fault. It's always worth a shot.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Schoat333
I would try going back to the shop that serviced it. They should have known to use Honda ATF, so it's ultimately their fault. It's always worth a shot.
Good advice. It is their mistake. Might end up in court but would be worthwhile for $4k.

I've seen shops pay for these kind of mistakes in the past. Was it a large chain service center or a privately owned one?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Valvoline does make a multi-vehicle import ATF they recommend for Honda ATF-Z1 applications.

I guess the first question is what type of Valvoline fluid did the shop use. If it was what Valvoline recommends I'd take it up with them (Vavoline's contact page). If not then the shop may be liable.

I doubt any lawyer would offer to help for less than a $4,000 retainer. It could draw out a long time, and you still need transportation. Justice isn't blind; money talks.

My do-it-yourself law degree (valid on internet chat-sites only) says the owner bears some responsibility as Honda spelled it out pretty clearly in the owner's manual.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
I doubt any lawyer would offer to help for less than a $4,000 retainer. It could draw out a long time, and you still need transportation. Justice isn't blind; money talks.
Small claims court cost about $30

Old 07-11-2013, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-11-2013, 02:41 PM
If someone owes you money, and you cannot
get them to pay you, do not try to take the law into
your own hands. Do not start a fight.
I love it. Very Texas.

That's a very good pamphlet actually.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Great info! Yes the ATF was changed at a large chain, I don't want to say the name because I don't want to be countersued for defamation. They have been very responsive and attentive to my concerns. They claim that Valvoline MaxLife ATF is formulated for Hondas. They also claim that the ATF in my car is contaminated with engine oil of a grade that is not used in their shops and therefore are not liable for damage. My beef with them is that I was charged for an ATF exchange of up to 18 quarts but was told later that the machine does not fit on my car and the only service that could have been done was a drain and fill which would only be up up to 3 quarts of ATF. Probably should not have been charged $129.99 for a fluid exchange if they did a drain and refill.
I am going to have my auto insurance cover this so I can get on with my life! If I had more time and energy I would take them to small claims court.
I think way above my pay scale Honda and Valvoline could have an interesting case! Valvoline product information slick says their ATF is formulated for Hondas. Honda says only their Genuine Honda ATF. Who am I to believe?

Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Sounds like Jiffy Lube or "insert X lube chain here", I understand if you don't want to point out which one.

Yes they usually charge much less for a drain and fill, i've seen as low as 19.99, and should have refunded you the rest if they could not do the whole service with the machine.

I would like to see them prove the contamination they claim

Crappy situation man. Lots of people partially at fault.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
And this is why I only service my car at the dealer. They key is to find one you trust. In the end, I'm ok with spending a little more to avoid problems like this. When I was younger and not as wise, all my car repair issues were always with non dealer, chain repair shops. Never had any issues that weren't quickly resolved with a Honda dealer. Age and experience has taught me that sometimes saving now, means it will cost me more later.

For DIY, that's a different story. Have at 'er if you have the time and inclination, but as far as repair chains, once bitten twice shy with me.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by re-fit
Had my 2009 transmission serviced at a non-Honda service center at 68,000 miles. Now at 83,000 miles the Honda dealer repair center says I need a new transmission because the ATF used was not Genuine Honda ATF and claims the Valvoline fluid used has destroyed my transmission. Any others experience something similar? Options? It's hard to stomach $4000 new transmission.
First, whats wrong with the tranny? not shifting?
Second, take the issue to valvoline; if they tell you thir ATF is good for Honda then you can expect Valvoline on your side.
And the other shop should have known better if Valvoline was not correct and again you can take the case to an attorney if the shop won't budge on their doing proper work. If you take either defendant to court you can expect full reimbursement including your legal fees. Small Claims might be available if the limit is high enough but you definitely want a good attorney to represent you. $4000 is not an amount to not expect reimbursement from either that shop or Honda.