2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Fit - Push button start mod

Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM
09 Fit - Push button start mod

Hi All,

I just completed installing a push button start in my 09 Fit and thought I would share.

My goal was to completely get rid of the key and only use the remote from my Viper alarm. In order to start the car you simply unlock via remote, get in, put your foot on clutch and brake and press the button. To turn the car off you put your foot on the brake and press the button. Key functionality remains intact as a back up incase the button ever quits working.

The kit was bought from a China supplier, cost about $80.

I would say it took 3 hours to do the install but I spent many more hours prior to that planning and bench testing. The biggest pain was getting rid of the steering wheel lock. I decided cutting the locking tab off was the best route. A Honda-SL3 bypass is used to get around the ignition immobilizer.

Security...naturally removing the need for a key, steering wheel lock and bypassing the immobilizer could make the car a little more easy to steal. I won't go into detail but this is handled by the Viper alarm plus some custom electronics.

Cheers!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
That.Is.Awesome.

You, sir,

Won't work for A/T I assume?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by j1nNju1c3
That.Is.Awesome.

You, sir,

Won't work for A/T I assume?
I don't see why it wouldn't work on a A/T fit.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by ottawafit
I don't see why it wouldn't work on a A/T fit.
I'm guessing it came up because you mention triggering it with the clutch/brake. It's unclear if you're depressing the clutch just to start the engine (IE - not already shifted into neutral) or if you have some wiring that depends on both those inputs being high.

Man, why do all the cool modders seem to come from Canada?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
^^ thanks cutriss. Yes what he said lol

Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Cutriss
I'm guessing it came up because you mention triggering it with the clutch/brake. It's unclear if you're depressing the clutch just to start the engine (IE - not already shifted into neutral) or if you have some wiring that depends on both those inputs being high.

Man, why do all the cool modders seem to come from Canada?
The M/T Fit (in its stock form), like many/most manuals these days, requires the clutch pedal to be pressed all the way down to crank the engine, equivalent to automatic transmissions requiring the shifter to be in park or neutral to crank. It's the same whether the transmission is in gear or not. I assume that ottawafit just left that lockout in place.

To be honest, this is one nanny feature I really don't mind at all. My first car lacked such a switch, and there were a few times when I scared myself by forgetting to push the clutch before starting the engine. It is, of course, the usual practice with a M/T car to leave the car in first or reverse when it's parked to provide a redundant parking brake of sorts.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Correct, starting procedure is 100% stock, clutch must be in when starting, instead of turning a key you press the button (just 1 press). The only additional step to the normal starting procedure is the need to depress the brake. The kit has a wire for the brake switch. This is an added safety feature.

If the brake is NOT depressed when pressing the start button then the ignition turns to the accessory position (i.e radio on). If the start button is pressed another time ignition turns to the ON position (i.e heater/ac on). If the button is pressed one final time the ignition is turned off.

To shut the car off, the brake must be depressed when pressing the button.
If brake is not pressed car can still be turned off by holding the button for 3 seconds. This eliminates accidently shutting the car off while moving.

My other car is an Altima Coupe, once you get used to no keys it's hard to go back!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
It would be nice to have a push button start like I had when I lived in Ottawa. It was on my brand new Morris(Read Mini) with the huge 850 cc motor. It had a simple on/off for the key and a push button between the seats to start it. Remember the battery was in the trunk so the cable ran up the center of the floor. To turn off just turn the key. There was no auxillary position as there were no auxiliaries to power.

Oh the car was a brand spanking new 1964. Cost? It was $1535 Cdn with no taxes back then.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by ottawafit
Hi All,

I just completed installing a push button start in my 09 Fit and thought I would share.

Push button start in a 2009 Honda Fit - YouTube

My goal was to completely get rid of the key and only use the remote from my Viper alarm. In order to start the car you simply unlock via remote, get in, put your foot on clutch and brake and press the button. To turn the car off you put your foot on the brake and press the button. Key functionality remains intact as a back up incase the button ever quits working.

The kit was bought from a China supplier, cost about $80.

I would say it took 3 hours to do the install but I spent many more hours prior to that planning and bench testing. The biggest pain was getting rid of the steering wheel lock. I decided cutting the locking tab off was the best route. A Honda-SL3 bypass is used to get around the ignition immobilizer.

Security...naturally removing the need for a key, steering wheel lock and bypassing the immobilizer could make the car a little more easy to steal. I won't go into detail but this is handled by the Viper alarm plus some custom electronics.

Cheers!
I have a 2010 Honda Fit M/T ignition chamber broke so I was looking to upgrade. Do you have a link to this product or the name of it? Thanks