2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Or auto butler damaged the paint...

I don't think dealer added protectants do anything but line their pockets.

If you have time, taking them to small claims should be fun. They'll probably agree to paint it and forgo the $400 rather than have to show up.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit was repaired a few weeks ago...and now looks brand new. The dealer did an excellent job. Besides the roof, they painted the hood since they felt that it was showing some issues, and they did the top of the rear hatch. Since our Fit was involved in a prior accident a few years ago, the entire car has now been repainted by the same body shop, and has a life-time paint warranty.

Yep...$300 was my part, and Honda paid for the rest, with the invoice being just over $1,000. I'm not happy having to pay $300, but the roof paint needed to be fixed or rust would have become an issue, so I'm glad its done.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 01-03-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
My 2009 Blue Honda Fit looks the same as yours, but also the hood is delaminating just as bad. I bought the car new, and paid $600 extra for "Auto Butler" paint protection with a 5-year warranty, which I had applied every 6 months at dealership. Auto Butler refuses to pay for the paint (probably because they feel it is manufacturing's fault). After several calls to dealership over 3 months, leaving messages and getting the runaround, they finally told me to bring it in and they would take pics and contact Honda. They now say Honda has agreed to make some repairs, but that I will be responsible for $400 of the paint repair. This makes no sense why I should have to pay for a paint repair on a car that I purchased paint protection for originally! So frustrating. Not sure whether I should take the deal or take them to court.
Tell Honda to pay to fix the car...and tell the dealer that you want your $600 back since the treatment was either a fake, or it damaged the paint. Start with that position. Best of luck. By the way, what exactly did the contract cite with this Auto Butler protection? It must say something...small claims court sounds like a good idea.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 01-03-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
I see that you are close to my location...sent you a private message. I have someone that might help you at a dealership.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Wow that video is very upsetting, my Fit is leased and this will help me decide whether or not to buy it. I have a 94 saturn wagon with 300k miles on it and I'm the 1st owner, the paint still looks like the day I drove it off the showroom floor. I think I'll just get a new block and keep it.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Here's my video taken today 1/4/13, of my Honda purchased at Space Coast Honda on 5/23/09 with an add-on $599 of Auto Butler paint protection: 2009 Honda Fit paint problems - YouTube. As you can see, the clear coat has been stripped, and the paint is now oxidized. The Auto Butler website is here: Auto Butler - Premier Paint Protection II, and my contract states that is protects against "tree sap, bird droppings, acid rain, and the sun's ultraviolet rays". I purchased a 5-year protection plan with warranty. Auto Butler refuses to have it repainted, according to the dealer. I agree with Steve244 that the "treatment" may have been at fault, or else it is a manufacturing paint defect, or both.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wallflower66
Here's my video taken today 1/4/13, of my Honda purchased at Space Coast Honda on 5/23/09 with an add-on $599 of Auto Butler paint protection: 2009 Honda Fit paint problems - YouTube. As you can see, the clear coat has been stripped, and the paint is now oxidized. The Auto Butler website is here: Auto Butler - e Premier Paint Protection II, and my contract states that is protects against "tree sap, bird droppings, acid rain, and the sun's ultraviolet rays". I purchased a 5-year protection plan with warranty. Auto Butler refuses to have it repainted, according to the dealer. I agree with Steve244 that the "treatment" may have been at fault, or else it is a manufacturing paint defect, or both.
Totally unacceptable bad if you look at the other videos like the one I list there are other rust issues with the accord and subframe from the ac drain. Ugh saving for a new engine for my 94 Saturn now.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, absolutely, a 20 year old GM product will have fewer problems than a new Honda.

You seem to share a lot in common with Consumer Reports. (check the bottom of the article for Saturn...)

Last edited by Steve244; 01-05-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Steve244, I couldn't find the link you mention. What was your point I am interested in it.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
How about a few graphics?

Hint, red is good.

And for the Fit specifically:

The A/C has been my sole complaint.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
I think this issue will become "big" for Honda over the next few years. They pushed the paint quality (or lack of quality) over the line in an effort to save a few dollars per vehicle. Frankly I hope this really costs them...either in repair or lost customers.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
How about a few graphics?

Hint, red is good.
I remember Consumer Reports raving about the Chrysler mini-van back in the late 80's. I knew just by looking at a few used vehicles that it was a POS. And many years later they fessed up that "yea, that vehicle was not really very good". I purchased a used Ford Aerostar in 1989 that provided over 230K miles of great driving and reliability that CR said was a POS. Any by the way, the paint looked great with I sold that 1986 vehicle in 2004.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM
I'm glad everything sorted out for you.

FYI, after they get the roof repainted, wait about 30 days before you or they put any wax. The paint needs to breath properly while curing and bonding to the basecoat.

If you need any help regarding paint or detailing, let me know. Been working as a detailer for over 10 years.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
I remember Consumer Reports raving about the Chrysler mini-van back in the late 80's. I knew just by looking at a few used vehicles that it was a POS. And many years later they fessed up that "yea, that vehicle was not really very good". I purchased a used Ford Aerostar in 1989 that provided over 230K miles of great driving and reliability that CR said was a POS. Any by the way, the paint looked great with I sold that 1986 vehicle in 2004.
The Chrysler mini-van was worth raving over in the late 80s. It was a revolutionary design. They invented the mini-van.

A regional Ford sales rep told my parents to steer far clear from the Aerostar. (He had one as his company car). Where did you live, and how did you maintain the paint on your Ford?

Anecdotes are only worth so much. I don't know how CR gathers their reliability stats, but I'd guess they do a better job than us.

Honda's paint is "better than average." The average has gone down in the past decade with EPA regulations on solvents. Still, after 5 years in metro Atlanta I don't have any complaints about the finish on my Fit. The A/C on the other hand...

Old 01-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244

Honda's paint is "better than average." The average has gone down in the past decade with EPA regulations on solvents. Still, after 5 years in metro Atlanta I don't have any complaints about the finish on my Fit. The A/C on the other hand...
Yes and no.

Yes, that the quality of the primer, base coat and clear coat are among average since mostly BASF owns everything now.

No, in the fact that Honda in order to save money they apply very thin coats of clear coat to most cars.

Has paint gone down in the past decade.. it depends how you want to see it. Ceramic clear coat is stronger and suffers less from stone chips. What has chanced in the past decade is Clear coat. Nowadays, it dries in a few minutes, hence the reason for lots of orange peel.

Orange peel and the A/C is what I mostly complained on my Fit. The orange peel is fixed now since it's my trade.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 PM
I am so glad I found this forum!
As I posted earlier, my clear coat was wasting away on my 2009 Fit over the course of about 8 months, and paint was starting to oxidize on the roof and hood. The dealership where I purchased it new (and added a $600 paint protection service) gave me the run-around for months after I brought it to their attention. They accepted no blame, asking me if I was "keeping it in the sun", "living near the beach", and "doing a lot of highway driving".
They called American Honda to see what they would do. American Honda offered to paint the roof and hood, and said that I would be responsible for $400 of the total cost. The dealership said they would rent me a car at my expense at $30/day, and that it would take about 5 days to complete at an off-site local autobody shop. Inititally I accepted the offer, as I felt I had to other choice.
As it turns out, I came here and found this forum, and was interested in this thread, started by spacecoast, which ironically also happens to be the name of my Honda dealership, and who also lives in my area. He had posted pictures of his son's Fit's paint problems. After seeing my video of my car, he messaged me and offered to help. He gave me the name of a person at the dealership where he went, and said maybe he could help me out.
I went to that Honda dealership (Ron Norris Honda), and spoke with the guy, and he took photos of my car. He said he would call American Honda and see if he could talk them down. If nothing else, he said he could at least offer me a free/loaner car while my car was being painted. All in the name of good business...
A couple weeks later, he called to say the $400 (my part) was being waived (I guess he convinced American Honda of that). I later dropped my car off at their dealership's own body shop, which had a Hertz rental office right there in the building. They rented me a lovely new Chevy Captiva SUV for 10 days while my car was being repaired. When I picked it up today, I was amazed. They went above and beyond; not only painting the roof and hood, even re-striping it, buffing out the dull spots, and detailing the entire inside! I could not be more pleased with the way it turned out, and they didn't charge me a dime. I now have no doubt as to where I will purchase my next vehicle.
Thanks to spacecoast for the advice! I wanted to share this story to show that there are good dealerships out there that can help with these issues.

Below are before and after pics of my car:

Before:

Name:  IMG_07961.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  80.1 KB
Name:  IMG_07941.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  63.8 KB

After:

Name:  IMG_08371.jpg
Views: 2471
Size:  62.6 KB
Name:  IMG_08391.jpg
Views: 2452
Size:  72.2 KB

Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, I'm glad you got your problem fixed and so well too!

I hope more GE owners can get help like you did with their paint issues.

Keep her waxed and protected!

Also since your car is looking all nice and pretty again, why not make the headlights a little less yellow, lol! All in the name of safety you know!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:39 AM
Haha! That's the first thing my son said. It looks great, except for the headlights! It's on my list...

Old 03-01-2014, 01:16 PM
As I posted earlier, my clear coat was wasting away on my 2009 Fit over the course of about 8 months, and paint was starting to oxidize on the roof and hood. The dealership where I purchased it new (and added a $600 paint protection service) gave me the run-around for months after I brought it to their attention. They accepted no blame, asking me if I was "keeping it in the sun", "living near the beach", and "doing a lot of highway driving".
They called American Honda to see what they would do. American Honda offered to paint the roof and hood, and said that I would be responsible for $400 of the total cost. The dealership said they would rent me a car at my expense at $30/day, and that it would take about 5 days to complete at an off-site local autobody shop. Inititally I accepted the offer, as I felt I had to other choice.
As it turns out, I came here and found this forum, and was interested in this thread, started by spacecoast, which ironically also happens to be the name of my Honda dealership, and who also lives in my area. He had posted pictures of his son's Fit's paint problems. After seeing my video of my car, he messaged me and offered to help. He gave me the name of a person at the dealership where he went, and said maybe he could help me out.
I went to that Honda dealership (Ron Norris Honda), and spoke with the guy, and he took photos of my car. He said he would call American Honda and see if he could talk them down. If nothing else, he said he could at least offer me a free/loaner car while my car was being painted. All in the name of good business...
A couple weeks later, he called to say the $400 (my part) was being waived (I guess he convinced American Honda of that). I later dropped my car off at their dealership's own body shop, which had a Hertz rental office right there in the building. They rented me a lovely new Chevy Captiva SUV for 10 days while my car was being repaired. When I picked it up today, I was amazed. They went above and beyond; not only painting the roof and hood, even re-striping it, buffing out the dull spots, and detailing the entire inside! I could not be more pleased with the way it turned out, and they didn't charge me a dime. I now have no doubt as to where I will purchase my next vehicle.
Thanks to spacecoast for the advice! I wanted to share this story to show that there are good dealerships out there that can help with these issues.

Below are before and after pics of my car:

Before:

After:

Okay your car from how I see it b4/after was left out in the elements/sun and wasn't taken care of completely. Why do I think this you maybe asking? Well not ONLY was your paint deteriorating but your headlights, grill, windshield wipers, & plastic side view mirrors have bad sun damage. Even your steel wheels are rusted. Headlights don't get that way in the shade. You also get a lot of salt air since you are 5-10min from the beach. Just my .02. I'm glade your car was repainted. Now you need to replace grill and at least get headlamps wet sanded to bring them near new look.

On another subject. You 2 owners make me miss going to Dixie Crossroads Sea Food Restaurant with my cousins when I attended Embry-Riddle. Eat some Sampi Rock Shrimp for me :-).

Last edited by Desmond Lamar MacRae; 03-01-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
As I posted earlier, my clear coat was wasting away on my 2009 Fit over the course of about 8 months, and paint was starting to oxidize on the roof and hood. The dealership where I purchased it new (and added a $600 paint protection service) gave me the run-around for months after I brought it to their attention.
What exactly did you get for $600? Did it come with a guarantee?

I'm also suspicious of aftermarket (dealer added) protectants including automotive wax. I think it could be damaging the clearcoat. At least no one should be paying anything for this "protection" and may want to avoid it even if the dealer offers it for free.

And it's an excuse never to wax mine.

Quick Reply: Roof paint issues