2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Roof paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Roof paint issues

The clearcoat on my sons 2009 blue Honda Fit is pealing and flaking on the roof. He took it to our local dealer and the dealer reported that this is a common problem on Civics. Anyone else with paint issues on their Fit?

The paint on the hood, rear hatch and spoiler are ok, but the clearcoat on the roof is flaking off and leaving a dull paint color. I'm afraid the roof could end up rusting without a fix. The dealer took pictures and will contact Honda...but I think I already know where that will go.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
blue 2009 Fit here and no problems, and car lives outside. Can you post a pic?

Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM
if its still under warranty it should be covered. Honda uses some thin ass paint. I wonder when they will learn that it causes more issues then its worth. Id imagine honda owners would not have minded paying an extra 500 bucks or so for a car that had a durable paint coat.

Its why I will be plastidipping my front end and roof soon

Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Just making sure this doesn't happen to my 2013.... Did you wax the car regularly?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Only colors ive seen that cracks and fade are black and red. If u have either of the two its bound to happen. I dont know why but they just do. Try to park under shade too. If it keeps getting a beating from the sun. Itll fade or crack

Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, the car is waxed on a regular basis. Noticed the issue developing about 6+ months ago. Hood, hatch and spoiler are perfect...strange that the roof would be different.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Banned
Just FYI-

Car makers do not actually have warranty coverage on paint. Dealer paint repairs are at their own discretion.

Case in point- in 1987, I bought a new Ford Bronco from a local dealer, and within two years both the clear coat and base paint started to flake off the roof and hood. A friend of mine worked as a factory rep. for Toyota, but had started that career as a Ford rep. He gave me the private phone number of the paint shop Manager of the Ford Truck plant in Tennessee, and I called that guy to find out what could be done. He said: "Oh yeah, '87 was a bad year for Ford truck paint. Sorry. Just drive on over and I'll repaint the whole truck for free." I thanked him and said that a cross-country trip at this time was out of the question. The local dealer wanted nothing to do with the problem or the repair.

Then, while changing a fan belt on the same truck, their idiot "mechanic" tore up the under-hood insulator blanket and some of the paint with the other end of a pry-bar. I saw that when I got the truck home and hit the ceiling- brought the truck back and had a strong talk with the "Service Manager". He was actually embarrassed, and offered to repaint the roof and hood "at his cost". I agreed, and that little "deal" cost me $600.00, and the paint failed again within another two years.

Even with the best of care, long life of car paint is a loser's bet- simply a matter of luck and where the car was built and what it was exposed to on the trip from factory to the dealer, and dealer care in storage until sale.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
That's impressive. Nothing like that on my car.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Nothing like that on my car.
Not long ago there was nothing like that on mine either.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Seems like if the paint is okay the dealer should be able to remove the clear coat and reapply. I have not seen that happen in recent years to newer cars seem to be more common with cars in the eighty's and ninty's and of course Ford's from 2000 to 2005.

Honda extends warranty on Dark Blue Odysseys 2003 -2005

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish...Peel_08031.pdf

So what about those who don't own a 03-05 Odyssey, but are still having paint problems? Many are reporting bringing their car to an authorized dealer and being told it's normal wear and tear on the vehicle. Don't fall for it! While most modern OEM paint jobs, especially with darker colors like red, tend to oxidize and fade faster, this oxidation can typically be buffed and polished up. The flaking or paint "coming off in sheets", as Honda described it, is a much bigger problem. Here's the 4 top excuses given by Honda dealers:
  • Keep the car out of the sun
  • Don't wash the car as often
  • Don't use harsh waxes
  • Avoid Bird Poop

Last edited by cjecpa; 08-17-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
My local dealership got back to me....Honda said NO, they wont' help. Dealer wants $900 to repaint the roof, and the front windshield has to be pulled inorder to do the paint job correctly. I asked him to approach Honda again. I can't believe this problem!!!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
another option is sand it down smooth and apply vinyl on the roof. that also looks nice especially on a blue. no need to remove anything to install other than the antenna base.

GL with the fix.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Talked to several paint and body shops. All of them mentioned that Honda is skimping on the thickness of the clearcoat, and as a result it begins to breakdown and flake. Found out that there is a TSB on Civics...from 2006 to 2010 that Honda was doing repairs...same problem. I have never had such a paint problem on any car I've own...and this is only a 2009!!! One manager did mentioned that he has already seen about three Honda Fits with the same roof issue. Honda needs to own up and make this right...consumers should not have to shell out $600 to $900 on a failed roof paint job. People....look at your cars.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Found this site...interesting stories about Honda paint quality.

WTF is Happening to Honda Factory Paint ?!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Wow. That's interesting. I have a red '09 and luckily haven't had this happen to me..........yet

Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
The red on my 09 Fit has faded to pink, rather than have the dealer repaint it my dad and I will repaint it ourselves early next year. Sorry about your clear coat man, that's rough.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Honda and I made an agreement...I pay the dealer $300 to have the roof fixed..they pay the rest. Talking with a few independent body shops it sounds like the cheapest cost would be around $500 to $600. I hope this will be my only paint issue.

Actually I think my local dealership called Honda (I called Honda yesterday and filed a complaint) and cut the deal. I think the dealership was just as PO as I was with the "no" answer. I'm not happy with parting with $300 nor with this hassle of a fairly new car having such a major paint issue, but this problem needs to be fixed correctly or the roof will eventually rust. Honda has some serious issues when it comes to paint quality...the Civic owners went through this.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 10-24-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctorz
blue 2009 Fit here and no problems, and car lives outside. Can you post a pic?
Where in Arkansas are you? I am originally from Malvern.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 PM
My 2009 Blue Honda Fit looks the same as yours, but also the hood is delaminating just as bad. I bought the car new, and paid $600 extra for "Auto Butler" paint protection with a 5-year warranty, which I had applied every 6 months at dealership. Auto Butler refuses to pay for the paint (probably because they feel it is manufacturing's fault). After several calls to dealership over 3 months, leaving messages and getting the runaround, they finally told me to bring it in and they would take pics and contact Honda. They now say Honda has agreed to make some repairs, but that I will be responsible for $400 of the paint repair. This makes no sense why I should have to pay for a paint repair on a car that I purchased paint protection for originally! So frustrating. Not sure whether I should take the deal or take them to court.

Quick Reply: Roof paint issues