2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sun Shade Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Sun Shade Help Needed

I've HAD IT with the crappy $10 shade I got at Wal-Mart. No matter how I adjust the visors, etc. it always seems to fall down before I can even get out of my car. So frustrating!

I've done some looking around and it seems that there are two pretty good options for nice sun shades that actually *fit* the Fit.

Heatshield Heatshield
- has the more traditional roll up design and even covers the small side windows

Covercraft Covercraft
- comes in two pieces (which I'm not sure I like), and I like the blue metallic color since I have a blue Fit, though that's not a huge deal.

They're roughly the same amount of money since the more expensive one is eligible for Prime shipping. I'm perfectly willing to spend $40-$50 bucks for a GOOD sun shade that doesn't fall down. I'm in outside sales, so I'm in and out of the car A LOT.

Does anyone have experience with either of these two products, or can you suggest something better? Bonus points if you live in the Dallas area and we can meet up at a Starbucks or something so I can actually see your sun shade if you have one!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
i use this

2009-2012 Honda Fit INTRO-TECH Sunshade : Amazon.com : Automotive 2009-2012 Honda Fit INTRO-TECH Sunshade : Amazon.com : Automotive

works perfectly well. doesn't fall down. it doesn't cover the a pillar windows though. but my windows are tinted so i don't really care. easy enough to roll up and stow away.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I like it, thanks!!

One piece, rolls up, and if it doesn't fall down I'm already in love. The fact that it's a little less than the other options is just a bonus.

Just placed my order--about my only disappointment is that it's not available as a Prime item, so I'll have to wait about a week to get it. But in the meantime cue the evil laugh as I rub my hands together and gleefully anticipate the demise of that crappy $10 sun shade. . . .

Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Uh, maybe you bought the wrong size from Walmart?

I bought the crappy easy wire folding type from Walmart... once I flip my visor over to hold them, they stay there.

The "super jumbo" sized set comes with two panels. Each one is just long enough to reach from top to bottom of my windshield and still wide enough to overlap each other in the middle. Put one up on one side, flip the visor. Put the other up on the other side, flip that visor... done.

Amazon.com: Basix Magic Shade Super Jumbo Sunshade (Styles May Vary): Automotive Amazon.com: Basix Magic Shade Super Jumbo Sunshade (Styles May Vary): Automotive

Yeah, that's a link to Amazon, but you can find them in Walmart too.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:07 PM
I got the one piece folding one, and the largest they had since the one recommended for my car was too small.

I tried the two piece version that you twist to fold and store in a little pouch, and those frustrated me even more.

So I'm really glad the first poster shared a custom solution. Aside from my fantastic 3D floor mats (that I found thanks to this forum!) my sun shade is my only accessory. I don't mind paying for a good one.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Goobers

I bought the crappy easy wire folding type from Walmart... once I flip my visor over to hold them, they stay there.

The "super jumbo" sized set comes with two panels. Each one is just long enough to reach from top to bottom of my windshield and still wide enough to overlap each other in the middle. Put one up on one side, flip the visor. Put the other up on the other side, flip that visor... done.

Amazon.com: Basix Magic Shade Super Jumbo Sunshade (Styles May Vary): Automotive

Yeah, that's a link to Amazon, but you can find them in Walmart too.
I have used this one for the last 4 months, great product and folds small enough to put in the passenger seatback pocket

Old 09-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I have the protrim sunshade and it's fine but the claim that it's made FOR the Fit is nonsense because it's not symmetric and the Fit's side windows are. It pretty much covers the side windows.

It's big but it's not that hard to roll and unroll, the secret is to do all the rolling while it's still on top of the dash. Then to make the roll tighter you can stick one arm inside the roll and pull tighter with the other. It closes with a Velcro strap.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 PM
I have the Heatshield one; it works quite nicely, much better than the cheapie two-piece Wal-mart dealie I had before. (I think I only had the "jumbo" size, rather than the "super-jumbo" size, and it didn't fit all that well.) The Heatshield one does take up a fair bit of space when rolled up, and I do have to ask front seat passengers to wait to sit down until its removed, but it fits pretty well and works very well. The side flaps aren't 100% perfect for covering the little triangle windows, but they're not too far off either.

I don't know how it compares to the other custom-fit designs; I don't feel a need to have more than one sun shade!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
I have a magic shade

Amazon.com: Basix Magic Shade Super Jumbo Sunshade (Styles May Vary): Automotive Amazon.com: Basix Magic Shade Super Jumbo Sunshade (Styles May Vary): Automotive

It fits well enough, and is fairly easy to fold up, and inexpensive. I have been happy with it.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers

Amazon.com: Basix Magic Shade Super Jumbo Sunshade (Styles May Vary): Automotive

I got these and they are great for the price and for ease of use ! Once I figured out how to fold them. I keep them in mesh reusable shopping tote, so they are tucked away when not is use. Thanks for the recommendation !!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
I just find a tree to park under. The bird poop nicely shields out the sun