2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

When do I need to get my brake fluid flushed for a 2010 Fit Sport?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 AM
When do I need to get my brake fluid flushed for a 2010 Fit Sport?

When do I need to get my brake fluid flushed for a 2010 Fit Sport? I read in the manual it says to get it done at 30k miles. I called a mechanic and he acted like that was way too soon to do it. I am at 37766 miles right now. What would you suggest?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
the people who insist on wasting your hard earned money will tell you 30,000 miles. I would do it at 60,000 or every 4 years whichever comes first. Of course, if you have money hanging out of your wallet, do it whenever. It certainly never hurts your car to do it more often, but the fluid waste it a kick in the pants to the environment.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
The service handbook that came with the car list brake fluid change every three years. It's listed as one of the checks independent of the maintenance minder information.

You can probably wait a little longer, but if the fluid in the reservoir begins to change color it should be changed, a change in color means moisture is in the fluid.

Clifton

Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Every three years. Unless you do a lot of hard brake heavy driving, then do it sooner.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by panthers
When do I need to get my brake fluid flushed for a 2010 Fit Sport? I read in the manual it says to get it done at 30k miles. I called a mechanic and he acted like that was way too soon to do it. I am at 37766 miles right now. What would you suggest?
3 years is correct. You can unscrew the cap off of the master cylinder (a largish reservoir with a black cap) and inspect the fluid. The smaller reservoir would be the clutch cylinder (for a manual transmission). If the fluid is light apple juice color, then it is fresh. If it is a more ginger ale darker color, it is starting to get old. If you haven't done it yet I would DEFINITELY do it now.

Honda brake fluid is 4$ a bottle. I replaced my brake and clutch fluid and I used two bottles but if I had to do it again I probably woulda bought 3 bottles but I just about got by with 2. If you have a jack and a set of 4 jack stands, and an 8mm and 10mm box wrench and a helper, it's a simple job and costs 10$ in brake fluid. You must remove the car wheels to access the bleeder valves to drain out the old fluid.

Old brake fluid isn't particularly dangerous, it's just that brake fluid is hydroscopic (attracts water) and when it gets old, you can get water/moisture in the brake lines which leads to the corrosion/rotting of the brake lines. Fresh fluid is cheap and it'll keep your brake lines healthy .

Lastly, if you open a bottle of brake fluid, you shouldn't keep it for much more than a month so if you open a bottle, try and plan to use it all because the remainder will not keep well. Also, brake fluid corrodes paint nearly instantly, so be very careful that you don't get any on your paint or it will ruin it.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
3years is the technical standard, some even say 2years to be safe (whether that's to get service money is up to debate). I'd question the technical skills of your mechanic if he doesn't quote standard recommendations to you. This isn't really a debate, if he were to take his exams again and gave that same answer, he'd get that question wrong.

He can go do whatever he wants to his own cars, and you can do whatever you want with your own car; but he should be quoting SAE accepted standards to a customer.

You should also be checking your brake pads at the same time every 30k miles too; and potentially match up a brakepad and brake fluid replacements if it is close.

Also, to correct MTLian, you should not inspect brake fluid by opening the cap of the cylinder. As he says later, it absorbs water, so you want to minimize any exposure at all to any fresh air, even if it's for inspection. Especially if your inspection is just a visual inspection. If you are dead set on testing, you need to use a brake fluid test strip, a multimeter, or other testing device, then you will have more conclusive data than your eyeball. Not worth the further degradation to open up the cylinder if you're not testing with an actual test.

Last edited by raytseng; 11-03-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM
minimum 2 years, however I usually recommend 3-4 years, or the 2 year mark if the fluid has changed color.

The fluid only changes color with contamination and dirt.

Be sure to top off your brake fluid every 4-6 months, because as teh brake pads and rotors wear down, the fluid level drops as the caliper/piston makes up the extra gap

Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by 13fit
Be sure to top off your brake fluid every 4-6 months, because as teh brake pads and rotors wear down, the fluid level drops as the caliper/piston makes up the extra gap
You don't need to top off, there's no reason to unless you have a leak? Even if the pads wear all the way down there should be no danger of emptying the master so there's really no reason to top it off correct?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
You don't need to top off, there's no reason to unless you have a leak? Even if the pads wear all the way down there should be no danger of emptying the master so there's really no reason to top it off correct?
yah, as long as the level is between the high and low, it's fine.

my 09 had 40K+ when i took it into the dealer last year to have the front pads replaced. they did the fluid change then.

for me, as long as the brakes feel solid, there's really no need to replace the fluid any sooner than wat the manufacture recommends.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:29 AM
manual calls for every 3 years. (... but I had a clunker that never flushed the fluid for over 6 years until it died one day )

The fluid attracts moisture and the built up moisture not only reduces boiling point of the fluid (i.e. brake won't respond) but also corrodes the various brake parts it touches. Any DOT 3 fluid will do.

It won't show up in Honda MM. It's something you can do as a DIY if you have simple tools. Link to my first post to the forum: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...port-auto.html

Old 11-21-2013, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CasualFitOwner
Any DOT 3 fluid will do.
Maybe it's a marketing ploy but Honda says that users that have used non honda brand brake fluid have experienced corrosion in the lines. For that reason I only use genuine Honda brake fluid.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
Maybe it's a marketing ploy but Honda says that users that have used non honda brand brake fluid have experienced corrosion in the lines. For that reason I only use genuine Honda brake fluid.
All cars recommend you use their brand of oils, antifreeze and brake fluid. How would Honda Dot 3 brake fluid prevent corrosion? It will attract moisture over time just like any other Dot 3-4 fluid. If it never attracted moisture there would be no reason to change the fluid. The fluid never wears out, but the brake fluid boiling point is reduced as moisture is attracted.

A lower fluid boiling point can increase the risk of having brake fade when the brakes are worked hard, as in curves and down mountains.

Clifton

Old 11-21-2013, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by flash75
All cars recommend you use their brand of oils, antifreeze and brake fluid. How would Honda Dot 3 brake fluid prevent corrosion? It will attract moisture over time just like any other Dot 3-4 fluid. If it never attracted moisture there would be no reason to change the fluid. The fluid never wears out, but the brake fluid boiling point is reduced as moisture is attracted.

A lower fluid boiling point can increase the risk of having brake fade when the brakes are worked hard, as in curves and down mountains.

Clifton
Right from the horse's mouth:
"We recommend genuine Honda Brake Fluid. Using a non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the life of the system"

Source:
Lubricants and Fluids

Like I said, it's probably a marketing ploy but honda does say that you can use motor oil instead of manual tranny fluid in a pinch and it doesn't recommend using Honda motor oil in the engine, just one that is rated fuel efficient. I'm just being the devil's advocate here but why would Honda insist on the Honda brand fluid for the brakes but not Honda brand motor oil if it's all about pushing their brand?

Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Topping off the fluid wont hurt but it can lead to the master cylinder overflowing when you do brakes. To avoid overflowing and pushing old potentially dirty fluid backwards in the system, its best to crack the bleeder on the caliper before compressing the piston. That way the fluid will spit out of the bleeder when you push in the piston and not travel in reverse. New fluid added to the master can then be flushed through and overall the fluid stays cleaner.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Have any posters had significant issues due to brake fluid deterioration?

I'm sure its a good idea. That said I have never done a brake fluid and keep cars for 7 years & 100K. Some of my cars were bought used with high mileage and driven beyond 200K. My pads usually last 60-90K & just topped off fluid with pad change. Yet to have any braking issues in Plymouths, Colts, Volvos, Mazdas, Subarus.